Dogs in cages...What to do?

Trujillo

Not far from where I live is a Thai couple, in their mid-twenties, who have two children. Both are young, maybe one is about four to six months old and the other is maybe about three months old.

They are both kept in a small house pretty much all day long. The older one used to be taken out for a short walk, and occasionally a ride on the owner's new Scoopy scooter, but these days both live mostly in their small house. (I should point out that the owner lives in the same small, fenced-in house, and there is plenty of space for the children to walk around and play in.)

As a kid-person, I feel bad for these children. Aside from the fact that they do not get proper exercise, children living in small house is wrong to my point of view. They are not dogs.

I believe that the man is trying to do the right thing by these children -- he's got unnecessarily expensive, special dry kid food (called rice), lots of play toys that seem to never be used, a giant cloth-rope leash and special shampoos. What I would like is for someone with some authority -- a Thai -- to go to him and explain this "small house" thing is not the right way to keep a child. I am pretty sure that someone (Thai) has told him this is what one does when keeping "child-humans."

So, if there is anyone out there who could recommend some "rescue" organization or such that might be able to send a representative to his house (the address I can provide via PM) and have a chat with him. I think it would be good for both him and his children.

---------------------------------------

Yeah! I thought so, but I had to do it and read it for myself in a different light.

Unbelievable!

Please tell me that this is not your sole purpose for existing, because that is a poor excuse for using earths resources to exist, which could be better used by someone with a better purpose for existing?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is most troubling about posts 49 and 50 is the blatant misinformation proffered as fact to which some people, who do not take the time to read all 50 posts, will believe prima facie.

What's your problem with my post (#49)??? It's just a YouTube video of a popular song, for Christ's sake.

I think you are the 'poster child' for stupidity and ignorance...

I helped raise Siberians, sold as sled dogs thru out America, at one time we had as many as 26 Huskies in my yard - each had his/her own space and from birth they are born to pull. Keeping them in a cage is a death sentence, they won't develope intellectually or emotionally and could eventually turn a bit insane if not careful - this breed is a working breed, not to be caged. We tied them to poles and runner wires that allowed them to interact with each other and get their own exercise - I couldn't see them becoming the beautiful animal they are if caged thru out their puppy stage, they are extremely intelligent and I far they will grow up depressed.

Its obvious you care for animals, make an attempt, learn some rudimentry Thai, if all fails, then seek out the authorities who may be able to educate the man. Good Luck wai2.gif

My apologies Number 49. Got the numbering sequence wrong. But thanks for the stupidity and ignorance jab ;)

"They (the children) are both kept in a small house pretty much all day long." -- cup-O-coffee

Oh boy....Is the small house the same relative size as the one the dog is in? Check out the photo. If it's not, they are not analogous. So the "house" is what? About 1.5 meters square? Think before you make an analogy. I appreciate that sort of stuff if it doesn't fall apart right from the start.

Let me just say to everyone who is dog-piling (no pun intended, really), my only thought was, I pass by here many times each day and feel sorry for the beautiful, intelligent and large dogs kept in cages just big enough to stand in for hours upon hours on end.

If you think trying to find a way to give these animals a little better quality of life is nosey, intrusive, incendiary, illegal, stupid or otherwise, that's quite within your right. Please accept my apology for wanting to be humane.

Would you be singing a different tune if this were a child?

What level makes you feel uncomfortable?

I hate to break it to you but having raised 4 of my own it is not uncommon.

post-82547-0-60060700-1410237476_thumb.j

Perhaps everyday as you walk past you see my child in his cage?

Perhaps you have never seen us play with him?

Perhaps you will now call social services to have someone check us out?

Perhaps after showing what good parents we are to the social worker we get to talking & they feel comfortable telling

me "yeah we figured so but this farang neighbor of yours called & complained. Bugged my boss who then made me come check on you."

Perhaps after the social worker leaves I will now visit you?

You know at the end of the day i do not know what is your fight here.

You preach a lot of concern on a forum but really if your so compelled try meeting the folks first

try & befriend them talking about a similar interest.....dogs maybe?

Then when you are sure you have all the valid info/facts straight perhaps you can in a nice way recommend something

But really just reading all of that really makes you out to be a serial busybody neighbor more than a concerned pet owner "wanting to be humane."

But the cherry on top of all of this is you need to come here & post pics of your neighbors animals seeking advice & yet

slag off those who give their opinion inferring we somehow dont care? Are less humane?

Ok all done & good luck to you

But honestly I would not want you anywhere near me as a neighbor.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

My apologies Number 49. Got the numbering sequence wrong. But thanks for the stupidity and ignorance jab wink.png

"They (the children) are both kept in a small house pretty much all day long." -- cup-O-coffee

Oh boy....Is the small house the same relative size as the one the dog is in? Check out the photo. If it's not, they are not analogous. So the "house" is what? About 1.5 meters square? Think before you make an analogy. I appreciate that sort of stuff if it doesn't fall apart right from the start.

Let me just say to everyone who is dog-piling (no pun intended, really), my only thought was, I pass by here many times each day and feel sorry for the beautiful, intelligent and large dogs kept in cages just big enough to stand in for hours upon hours on end.

If you think trying to find a way to give these animals a little better quality of life is nosey, intrusive, incendiary, illegal, stupid or otherwise, that's quite within your right. Please accept my apology for wanting to be humane.

Think?

I simply endeavored to lower myself to your level of thinking, but ran out of the needed few thousand feet of rope.

Looking outside the box, and sarcastically speaking, those dogs should have never been born, and dogs in general should live in the wild and free from human interpretation of confinement and treatment. As a matter of fact, let's simply dispense with the formalities and state what all idealistic animal lovers expect; for all humans to report for extermination, so that all beasts great and small can have the Earth all to themselves, and only the idealistic animal lovers get to remain to make love to these beasts of the field and air and to worship them obsequiously in their halls and temples. Hah! Animals lovers!

It appears ludicrous when animal sympathizers like you vicariously anthropomorphize the dogs thoughts into some form of defense to your stupid and idiotic expectations of what the world should be like.

Here is a clue: the dogs don't give a damn about what you think and never will. The owners, on the other hand, will give a damn if you interfere... and the people you engage to bother the owners will more than likely think you have a screw loose as well.

It's acceptable to entertain emotions, but actively engaging in those emotions and going over the top to interfe where you are not invited will simply bring your own personal motivations and intentions towards the owner under review... not what the owner is doing or not doing.

YOU (the foreigner) will be the focus, and not him (the Thai) or them (the collateral damage).

Believe me, you can't win this one.

but you seem to think it's ok for the dog to ride on the rail of a motor scooter?

When I first saw this Topic--I actually thought that it might be about something similar to the very depressing video submitted by Thighlander, and not merely someone who doesn't like the way his neighbour is keeping his pets.

Although caging dogs like these Husky pups is far from an ideal solution--they have a far better life than most of the pigs in this, and neighbouring, Asian countries--and, as shown by Thighlander , far better than some poor dogs also--so, maybe, accept it as just another example of how different these people are from others.

• Like 1

I can't believe some of the reactions here.

It may come as a surprise to some, but the basic needs of animals is not culture specific or changes at the border. The basic needs of animals, in this case dogs, are world-wide the same.

Here is an individual, the OP, who voices concerns about the welfare of two 4-legged individuals and asks merely for some advise and/or productive idea's in order to help improve the welfare of these two individuals.

It's not about the OP nor about the owners, it's about two innocent animals who can't voice themselves. It's about what these two animals really needs in order to feel fine. That these two are better of than a huge number of other animals, doesn't make their current situation better or okay.

Lack of proper mental and physical stimulation IS a welfare issue. Lack of it is NOT good for the animal and can give physical problems and chronic stress. Simple as that.

The owner most probably is not aware if this, and may very well be grateful with some carefully put suggestions. After all, from the pics it looks as if s/he is taking care of the other basic needs pretty well and, thus, cares about his/her dogs' well-being.

So, what can you,OP, do to change the situation of these dogs?

You or, better, your Thai partner or friend can try to build a trust-relation with the neighbor. And if the time is there mention something about it.

If the relationship is good, you may talk about dogs in general and mention their need for run, play etc. in order to build muscle-tone, coordination, improve and strengthen the immune-system, etc. and, to learn bite-inhibition, dog language etc. . You may like to mention that chronic stress can cause disease, both mental and physical.

You can play with your own dog/s, and IF the neighbor comes over for a chat, you may mention something like said above, or offer to play with his dogs as well, once in a while (if your schedule and mood allows this).

Maybe mention the Thai doggy people on facebook. There are several groups, and the awareness of the importance of mental and physical exercise, early socialization and education is increasing rapidly.

If you want to be creative(and have a Thai friend) you can make a leaflet with some pics of running and playing happy Huskies, and some (not too much) text mentioning why dogs needs exercise.

Ask advise of Thai animal loving friends.

Ask for helpful tips from a vet (or two) and/or pet shop owners and employees.

Above all, have patience. Raising awareness and then change of behavior takes time. It may/will not help these two particular dogs right now, but it may help them and several other dogs in future. When this owner's awareness about the basic needs of his dogs grows, s/he may talk to his/her family and friends about it later on. And, in that way, joining the fast growing group of Thai people who love their own pets and animals in general, and understand their needs.

But ... if your neighbor is not open for suggestions or secret leaflets in the postbox, then I fear there's not much you can do, and the suffering of these dog will continue. At least, the OP has done his/her best for the sake of the two animals who cannot speak for themselves. Unlike, those who seem to think that minding your own business is more important than standing up for those who cannot do so for themselves.

I am beggared!

There is an ongoing assumption that these dogs are not getting enough exercise, which is pure speculation on the part of the OP. Unless he is monitoring his neighbors 24-7 which I seriously doubt--he can only base it on what he does see. Which is two well cared for dogs. The original post, which clearly implies a criminal offense, is way beyond an innocent request for feedback. He's standing in front of their house taking pictures, and offering to send their personal details by PM. How many people on this forum would accept that kind of scrutiny from their neighbors? And on top of that... seven years in Thailand and don't speak enough Thai to have a reasonable conversation? What else is there to say.

I can't believe some of the reactions here.

It may come as a surprise to some, but the basic needs of animals is not culture specific or changes at the border. The basic needs of animals, in this case dogs, are world-wide the same.

Here is an individual, the OP, who voices concerns about the welfare of two 4-legged individuals and asks merely for some advise and/or productive idea's in order to help improve the welfare of these two individuals.

It's not about the OP nor about the owners, it's about two innocent animals who can't voice themselves. It's about what these two animals really needs in order to feel fine. That these two are better of than a huge number of other animals, doesn't make their current situation better or okay.

Lack of proper mental and physical stimulation IS a welfare issue. Lack of it is NOT good for the animal and can give physical problems and chronic stress. Simple as that.

The owner most probably is not aware if this, and may very well be grateful with some carefully put suggestions. After all, from the pics it looks as if s/he is taking care of the other basic needs pretty well and, thus, cares about his/her dogs' well-being.

So, what can you,OP, do to change the situation of these dogs?

You or, better, your Thai partner or friend can try to build a trust-relation with the neighbor. And if the time is there mention something about it.

If the relationship is good, you may talk about dogs in general and mention their need for run, play etc. in order to build muscle-tone, coordination, improve and strengthen the immune-system, etc. and, to learn bite-inhibition, dog language etc. . You may like to mention that chronic stress can cause disease, both mental and physical.

You can play with your own dog/s, and IF the neighbor comes over for a chat, you may mention something like said above, or offer to play with his dogs as well, once in a while (if your schedule and mood allows this).

Maybe mention the Thai doggy people on facebook. There are several groups, and the awareness of the importance of mental and physical exercise, early socialization and education is increasing rapidly.

If you want to be creative(and have a Thai friend) you can make a leaflet with some pics of running and playing happy Huskies, and some (not too much) text mentioning why dogs needs exercise.

Ask advise of Thai animal loving friends.

Ask for helpful tips from a vet (or two) and/or pet shop owners and employees.

Above all, have patience. Raising awareness and then change of behavior takes time. It may/will not help these two particular dogs right now, but it may help them and several other dogs in future. When this owner's awareness about the basic needs of his dogs grows, s/he may talk to his/her family and friends about it later on. And, in that way, joining the fast growing group of Thai people who love their own pets and animals in general, and understand their needs.

But ... if your neighbor is not open for suggestions or secret leaflets in the postbox, then I fear there's not much you can do, and the suffering of these dog will continue. At least, the OP has done his/her best for the sake of the two animals who cannot speak for themselves. Unlike, those who seem to think that minding your own business is more important than standing up for those who cannot do so for themselves.

I fully understand your sympathies for the dogs in question, Nienke, but as we both know, sometimes dogs do have to be put in cages--hopefully only for a short time--and then should be let out to play with their owners and others, both humans and dogs--but, as has been said, none of us know if this is the case with the 2 dogs in the picture--but, only that the OP claims to seldom see them out of their cages--but does say that at night at least one of the cages is empty--so, until we hear from the owner we are all speculating as to the amount of time spent in confinement.

Seesip,Hay Billy ...Oh please why do dogs have to be put in cages.If anyone feels that way simply do not have a dog because you obviously don't understand their needs. I haven't lived in my home country Australia for quite a few years but I can never remember a dog kept in a cage unless it was in a factory compound and used at night as a guard dog.

Can't believe the ignorance and lack of compassion in some of these posts to the OP's concern.Dogs are not animals to be caged, it mentally degrades them,you just don't get it and you think you will hear from the owners as to their reasons,yeah right,ridiculous comment ,don't hold your breath.

Read again what Nienke is saying and if you don't understand the views of a practicing, professional carer of dogs I sincerely feel sorry for you.

My dog has actually spent time in a cage, at Nienke's kennels, after having had an operation on his leg- so, there are valid reasons why dogs 'sometimes have to be in a cage'-OK.

And, while I am on that subject, what would happen if someone passed by while the owner of the kennels was out, at the vet's for example, and took a photo of my dog in a cage and posted it on a forum without speaking to the owner to find out w hy he was in the cage- now, do you understand why I think there might be 2 sides to every story?

P.S. Please don't waste your time feeling sorry for me.

Edited by haybilly

.Oh please why do dogs have to be put in cages.If anyone feels that way simply do not have a dog because you obviously don't understand their needs.

Actually, I have stated earlier that I'm in favor of crate-training a dog, and I don't think it's cruel to confine them for short periods of time during the day, and during night time.

IME, fearful dogs prefer a small mostly enclosed space. They feel more safe there. A cage/crate/bench can give them that feeling of safety. I have currently two fearful dogs in the house. Both will run back to their crates as soon as something scares them.

A bench can also give them a feeling of peace; a place where they can withdraw from playing and running kids for example (provided that the parents have properly taught their kids to leave the dog alone as soon as the dog seeks his safe haven)

I've seen it several times that during fireworks and thunder the dogs (with one or two exceptions) remained quiet when in their cages. They would freak and try to break out when loose in their runs, not so when in their cages.

Currently I have one dog most of the day in a cage. The X-ray showed a broken hip, most probably from a road accident, as I found her about a week ago covered in ticks and fleas, with gums almost white, dying next to the road nearby my house. Tictox is the answer against ticks and fleas. Dead within the hour. Ticks and fleas are not covered in my welfare talk, btw. She is led out on a lead every 2 hours during the day. But, after a quick pee and poo, often done at the same time, she herself 'walks' back to her cage.

Crate training can help with toilet training.

I have 6 dogs in the house. 4 of the 6 have to travel to their owners abroad between 2 weeks and 3 months from now. So, they sleep in their crates.

3 of the 4 travel dogs are female and one is male. 1 female is heavily in heat. All these dogs will be inside dogs and, thus, need to learn to behave inside. As the female's owner prefers to receive 1 dog and not 8 or 9 the male will be crated when it's her turn to be loose in the house.

Once a dog is crate trained and likes to stay in there, the owner can take his dog's 'covered bed'' where-ever they want to travel to.

In my old place it was at night quieter at my place with my 30 to 50 dogs than at my neighbors and village nearby. That is because at my place the dogs slept in their cages at night while my neighbor dogs were free at night, alarmed by every falling leave (as it seemed sometimes).

It is when a (healthy) dog is kept in such small confinements for long periods of time and repeated daily, and for the convenience of the owner, it will become a welfare issue.

My dog has actually spent time in a cage, at Nienke's kennels, after having had an operation on his leg- so, there are valid reasons why dogs 'sometimes have to be in a cage'-OK.

And, while I am on that subject, what would happen if someone passed by while the owner of the kennels was out, at the vet's for example, and took a photo of my dog in a cage and posted it on a forum without speaking to the owner to find out w hy he was in the cage- now, do you understand why I think there might be 2 sides to every story?

P.S. Please don't waste your time feeling sorry for me.

Operated for patellar luxation to be exact. Approx. 30% chance the problem will re-occur. :(

Small dogs are (much) more prone to this problem than large dogs. Over-vaccination can trigger the problem as can early spaying neutering.

Mr. Teacup was both over-vaccinated and neutered before physical and mental maturity. You can thank the breeder and your vet for this. :(

For taking a picture of the little man in his bench, they would have had to enter my house into my office while passing my excellent en-garde (for food) pit-pug.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about PugPig!

But, in theory, someone could wander around and take a photo of a dog which was in a cage, for totally therapeutic reasons or for training purposes, and post it on the internet without checking why that dog was in his cage/crate. Then we have a situation similar to the OP.

From the photo the dogs don't seem to be in poor health. They have clean cages, the owner even has a fan blowing on them to keep them cool. Water bowls in the cage. Doesn't look like any doggie droppings about the place.

Maybe they are exercised at times you dont see?

i agree . . . small as those cages appear, perhaps they don't spend as much time in them as you suggest/believe ?

Mrs G's cousin is a very successful Husky dog breeder in CM, i've seen their setup & it's a very good, clean and sound operation. These dogs may originate from there.

• Like 1

Seesip,Hay Billy ...Oh please why do dogs have to be put in cages.If anyone feels that way simply do not have a dog because you obviously don't understand their needs. I haven't lived in my home country Australia for quite a few years but I can never remember a dog kept in a cage unless it was in a factory compound and used at night as a guard dog.

Can't believe the ignorance and lack of compassion in some of these posts to the OP's concern.Dogs are not animals to be caged, it mentally degrades them,you just don't get it and you think you will hear from the owners as to their reasons,yeah right,ridiculous comment ,don't hold your breath.

Read again what Nienke is saying and if you don't understand the views of a practicing, professional carer of dogs I sincerely feel sorry for you.

Do yourself a favor and search Google for the opinions of professional dog trainers, the Human Society, etc. regarding crate training for dogs... before lamenting the ignorance in this thread.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about PugPig!

But, in theory, someone could wander around and take a photo of a dog which was in a cage, for totally therapeutic reasons or for training purposes, and post it on the internet without checking why that dog was in his cage/crate. Then we have a situation similar to the OP.

PugPig????!!!!! xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png I sure hope that never will happen! Not that I'm secretly hoping for pit-pugs, though. wink.png

And yes, in theory people can take pics of dogs in their cage, like the little injured one at the kennel at the moment, and make up a story. Actually some people don't even need that for making up a story, as we have seen on this site already a few times. whistling.gif

In defense of the OP, it occurs a lot that (young) dogs are kept in their cages most of the day, while the owners are at work. The dogs are fed well, receive their (too) many puppy vaccines, receive the tick/flea/heartworm treatment regularly, are often bathed, and many have a fan. These dogs, in general, look pretty good, and are much loved by their owners. The dogs are let out of their cages in the early morning and late afternoon/evening. Sometimes a couple of hours, sometimes only for half to an hour twice a day, and some are left out in the night. Only a few owners will take their dog out for a (long) walk and/or will play with their dog. Is this good for the dog, especially when it's a puppy? .... No, it's not really. Many of these dogs lack the sufficient mental and physical stimulation, which is one of the welfare requirements.

In the more temperate-climate (read: cold and rainy) countries, (young) dogs are often kept in the house and/or in their bench for hours in end, while the owner is out for work. Once the owner returns home, the dog is taken out for a pee and poo, and then usually the owner continues his/her own business as he/she is tired from work, need to eat, need to internet or whatever and the dog is left on its own again. Not much different from the (during the day) caged dogs here. Boredom and obesity is a *very common* welfare issue under the pet dogs and cats in these countries.

It's actually heart-breaking to see/read that so many people (including some of the readers here) think that when animals as pets (or in zoos) are well-fed, receive regular health-checks and vet-care and some space to walk around (more often than not, always the same space day in day out, year in year out) have all their requirements met.

As it is fairly common to keep pet-dogs in their cages during the day while the owner is at work and has no one to take care their pet when they are away, or when an owner is afraid for a re-design of their garden, I have no problem believing the OP.

Point taken--I agree that this sort of dog-care is far, far from the ideal situation.

I also understand that the OP was trying to make a bad situation better--

so, I'm going to leave it at that--and say, that I, too, do not like seeing animals in cages, I mean who does--but, on occasions it is a necessary evil.

I really hope that the OP can find a way to quietly talk to his/her neighbour and find some common ground.

"But, in theory, someone could wander around and take a photo of a dog which was in a cage, for totally therapeutic reasons or for training purposes, and post it on the internet without checking why that dog was in his cage/crate. Then we have a situation similar to the OP." -- haybilly

Is that what you think I did?

"...small as those cages appear, perhaps they don't spend as much time in them as you suggest/believe?" -- Goshawk

I go past there at least six times throughout the day and evening. It's on the way home.

Apropos patellar luxation:

Some years ago my young dog dislocated (luxated) her front right shoulder. The first vet put a sort of cast on the leg, kept extended, which fell off almost immediately. The subsequent vet at a hospital put some sort of sling on the leg with the leg folded naturally tucked against the chest. This slipped off. The vet said that if you didn't get something done right away, the ligaments would start to pull back together and the leg would "set" in an unnatural position.

So, and here's my point, I cut from a leg of woman's nylon stockings, a tube that was the right size to slip over the head and keep the leg tucked and folded snugly against the chest, with the other side having a hole to put the other leg through. I kept this on for about 4 or 5 weeks. I was also told that this leg would probably luxate again at some time.

As it turned out, my dog made a full recovery and never had any problems again. I think the stocking as a body-hugging sling is an effective way to deal with luxations at least in the front quarters. It keep the leg immobilized but breathes well, is easy to replace and clean.

I can't find a photo of this, so I hope this explanation is clear.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The dogs are in same situation but the smaller (younger) one is now wearing, yes, a dog sweater.

Just for those who say this owner actually knows what he's doing, it's 30 degrees here now and he put a sweater on a Siberian huskie!

Yep, he must be a pro about dogs.... facepalm.gif

Ninja at night and set them free, then take them to care for dogs.

Not exactly law abiding but neither is keeping any animal locked in a cage like that.

Don't agree with this advice as Care for Dogs simply does not have room for them. Far too many folks shirk their responsibility and dump unwanted dogs at various shelters, often at the gate.

A house near my place has two dogs and two cages. The cage doors are always open. A surprising amount of the time, the dogs stay in the cage, even though they have access to a smallish yard whenever they want. These dogs are not puppies, so I guess that makes a big difference.

I haven't read all of this thread, so I am probably repeating what others have said, but don't dogs have some sort of "home" instinct (this isn't the right word) which leads them to seek out confined spaces? My own dog crawls deep into a corner of the room when I leave, only to re-emerge when I come back.

Care for Dogs do not want or need these dogs. With limited resources they need to focus on the most desperate cases.

Edited by JulieM