Bkk-Pattaya Hospital - Skin cancer checkup?

Spaniel

Has anyone been to BP Hospital for skin cancer checkup or treatment? If so, who did you see and what did you think of the treatment? I was told a doctor to see was Dr. Anna. Any other recommendations for skin cancer checkup/treatment in the Pattaya area?

Edited by Spaniel

Dr. Anna is the best in the area, I think. Not cheap but, given her qualifications, not unreasonable, I guess--as long as you don't have any procedures done in the hsp unless you have good insurance.

Edited by JSixpack

Get it checked as a relatively inexpensive out-patient!

If it is bad news then you can pick and choose how you proceed from there...

An elderly mate had a squamous tumour removed from his chest in Maharat Hospital (government) in Korat, total cost 13'000 THB including an unexpected admission to ICU because of a heart complication under anesthetic during the operation.

Theres no way you need to be forking out 100's of Thousands of Baht.

Get it checked as a relatively inexpensive out-patient!

If it is bad news then you can pick and choose how you proceed from there...

An elderly mate had a squamous tumour removed from his chest in Maharat Hospital (government) in Korat, total cost 13'000 THB including an unexpected admission to ICU because of a heart complication under anesthetic during the operation.

Theres no way you need to be forking out 100's of Thousands of Baht.

"An elderly mate had a squamous tumour removed from his chest in Maharat Hospital (government) in Korat, total cost 13'000 THB including an unexpected admission to ICU because of a heart complication under anesthetic during the operation."

Which is one reason why there are benefits to sticking to one hospital if you stay here for any length of time. I have seen several doctors at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, including a cardiologist. When I went for surgery for a different issue I had some problems first with elevated blood pressure and then much lower BP before and after the surgery. Since the cardiologist who knew me and who kept my records regarding medication was available for consultation & reference in the same hospital where I was having surgery, the problem was managed quite well in anticipation of the operation and in follow-up.

• Like 2

Yes she's the best:

DOCTOR NAME/CENTER : DR. ANNA JARUWAN, DERMATOLOGY CENTER

Thanks for the replies. A couple posters mentioned that Dr. Anna is expensive. How much would the initial check up be? Probably not much more one would pay elsewhere except maybe a government run hospital.

Yes she's the best:

DOCTOR NAME/CENTER : DR. ANNA JARUWAN, DERMATOLOGY CENTER

Thanks for the replies. A couple posters mentioned that Dr. Anna is expensive. How much would the initial check up be? Probably not much more one would pay elsewhere except maybe a government run hospital.

I`ve seen her recently.

Her charge 1000 baht, hospital admin charge for seeing her 500 baht.

I had to have a test done and also pay for some meds, that was extra.

You can probably find cheaper,I felt the cost was OK ( meds likely loaded on price )

Hope that helps.

I had an appointment with Dr. Anna on Wednesday and I highly recommend her. My concern was skin cancer and she did a head to toe check up and the fee for this was
B1500, noted on the bill as Physician Evaluation and Management Services. She also did a biopsy on one of the suspected cancerous spots on my arm. This was B4000 and the lab investigation and pathology was another B1,100. All the other misc. charges (drugs, medical supplies, medical equipment, packaged medical charge ?,) brought the total bill to B8,359. I thought this was reasonable enough although I'm sure it could have been done cheaper elsewhere.

• 6 months later...

If you are not satisfied here in Pat then go to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok and see Dr. Niyom in the Skin Care Center. He was trained by my best friend, Dr. Bennett of Santa Monica, CA with many accolades and who was President of The American Dermatological Surgeons Association. Dr. Niyom was a Fellow trained in Moh's Chemosurgery. Tell him Jeff sent you. Best of Luck and Health.

Edited by Rimmer
email removed as per forum rules,

Went to soi 4 recently on recommendation International, first quote 800 then bill of 4000 baht for removal of pre cancerous skin blemish whatever. Could have guessed they would find something,the medical mafia of Thailand will always find something to bump up the bill,said no thanks ,but still billed 1500. Checked again elsewhere,no pre cancer

Off to Penang or KL for far better and cheaper treatment ,(other procedures)

• Like 2

I had a melanoma several years ago on my lower back and my US doctors advised that I have a yearly check to make sure I did not have a recurrence, especially since I could not see it

Went to BHP and the doctor at the Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery Center seemed insulted that she had to waste her precious time with such a mundane task as insuring that I did not have skin cancer

Never went back.......

My next door but one neighbor went to BPH with a worrying Mole on his face... He was

horrified when they told him it was Cancer and needed to be removed at the cost of 800.000 bt asap..

He did not have the funds for this, they told him if he did not get them to remove it pretty soon,

that he would die.

He went home, made his will, informed all of his close family and friends,, he was ill with worry.

He decided to go back to his home Country to get it removed. The Hospital at his Home Country

informed him that it was NOT Cancer, just a Mole. Obviously, he will never ever go to BPH again.

My last visit to BPH was very good, but it was not the skin department,

Be careful and please do not believe everything you are told.

My next door but one neighbor went to BPH with a worrying Mole on his face... He was

horrified when they told him it was Cancer and needed to be removed at the cost of 800.000 bt asap..

He did not have the funds for this, they told him if he did not get them to remove it pretty soon,

that he would die.

He went home, made his will, informed all of his close family and friends,, he was ill with worry.

He decided to go back to his home Country to get it removed. The Hospital at his Home Country

informed him that it was NOT Cancer, just a Mole. Obviously, he will never ever go to BPH again.

My last visit to BPH was very good, but it was not the skin department,

Be careful and please do not believe everything you are told.

Spaniel seems to have been lucky getting this procedure done in the same hospital with a 99% discount.

Dr. Anna is the best in the area, I think. Not cheap but, given her qualifications, not unreasonable, I guess--as long as you don't have any procedures done in the hsp unless you have good insurance.

+1...Excellent doctor.

+1, a big one for Dr. Ana. She might have just saved my life by going the extra step. It resulted in major, major surgery and started all with a little, itchy melanoma on my back. She is one of the most ethical and dedicated Dr.'s without attitude I have met in Thailand.

The fees are ridiculous, compared to any other developed country, comparing apples with apples, meaning private healthcare with immediate access. But some people compare with their public system, which is not the same. MS>

Edited by moonseeker
  • Like 1

+1, a big one for Dr. Ana. She might have just saved my life by going the extra step. It resulted in major, major surgery and started all with a little, itchy melanoma on my back. She is one of the most ethical and dedicated Dr.'s without attitude I have met in Thailand.

The fees are ridiculous, compared to any other developed country, comparing apples with apples, meaning private healthcare with immediate access. But some people compare with their public system, which is not the same. MS>

I saw Dr. Ana at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital about a year ago for a skin check up. She did a "head to toe" exam and removed about 50 "kerotoses" ("skin tags from years in the sun that are non cancerous) using liquid nitrogen. It was virtually painless. I think the entire bill was about 5500 baht. She seems very professional. I also saw Dr. Hathairat at the same place.......also professional.

You know that is well and good if the luck of the draw gets you the one good doctor at BPH, but what happens when you get one of others that only want to " up sell" you treatment ?

Sorry, but my health should not be based on a hospital lottery

It doesn't have to be a lottery if you request an appointment with the doctor that you want.

Not sure what you don't understand about that?

You know that is well and good if the luck of the draw gets you the one good doctor at BPH, but what happens when you get one of others that only want to " up sell" you treatment ?

Sorry, but my health should not be based on a hospital lottery

Amid the whining, bashing, hot air, silliness, paranoia, self-congratulations, and Chang-inspired improvement schemes for Pattaya, the forum does have some good info that makes it all worthwhile.

So first you check here and in the Health forum about your ailment and ask for recommendations. Sheryl, mod of the Health forum, is incredibly knowledgeable about doctors and most everything else health-related. You may not find one in Pattaya. If it's an important issue, then you follow the recommendation to a Bangkok hsp. Every recommended doc that I've visited has been great.

Nobody specific, then you look on the many Bangkok hsp websites and check out the doc qualifications, looking for study abroad if possible. If it's not a crucial, complex issue, more like routine, then consider taking it to Phyathai or Queen Sirikit.

Another possibility is that of multiple consultations. Suppose, as a result of reading here, I also came down with the dreaded Chronic Tea Money Tic Disorder (CTMTD) or the more localized Tic-Related Promenade Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (TRPOCD). I'd first consult a BPH doc and then get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion at another respectable hsp. That's what I've done in the past. (I'd do that in the USA, too, not just in Thailand!)

Often the good docs also work at public hsps and you can have the procedure done there cheaply. Years ago, Dr. Anna diagnosed an ordinary sebaceous cyst on my back. It would have cost B6,000 to remove it at BPH (gag!), so (not yet trusting Banglamung Hsp), I had it removed by an ordinary surgeon at Queen Sawangwattana Memorial in Siricha for B300.

St. Louis in Bangkok is a non-profit and the times I've been there I've found the docs competent and prices quite reasonable.

Edited by JSixpack

I saw Dr. Ana at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital about a year ago for a skin check up. She did a "head to toe" exam and removed about 50 "kerotoses" ("skin tags from years in the sun that are non cancerous) using liquid nitrogen. It was virtually painless. I think the entire bill was about 5500 baht. She seems very professional. I also saw Dr. Hathairat at the same place.......also professional.

I saw Dr Hathairat a couple of years ago. The growth was benign. Charge about Bt2,000 all in. I was pretty impressed--free parking, on-time appointment, qualified doc.

earlier poster said BPH diagnosis was cancer and, when he went home, diagnosis benign. Skin cancer is one of the easiest to biopsy and interpret, so I think there is something else.

Dr. Anna knows her stuff ,and if the hospital confirm it's cancer after a biopsy I think its fair to say that BPH will not do mistakes like been posted in this thread so a bit surprised about that.