Price of Thai Cabinet audio slashed after public outcry

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monthon said after price negotiations, the whole system would now cost Bt53 million. Monthon said the department would help the state save some Bt14 million from the original price.

Wow - he's still looking for praise... But - was "the department" not responsible for procuring the goods at the best price in the first place?

He stopped short of saying he would review the final price and would be ready to have the public check the planned procurement details.

The official also denied his department had procured LED light bulbs at over Bt100,000 each.

Scratch the surface anywhere and it sure as hell is rotten underneath. Sadly it appears this applies to every government department in the country.

The fox has been in charge of the hen-house for too long, laugh.png

Some people are of the opinion that Bang and Olufsen are if not the panicle then very close too it in sound, audio, amplification equipment, so if ya bought 89 good quality mic's ie (ATR2500) rated as one of the better mic's at say 2,000 Baht + tax @ 100% each and put it through the B&O sound gear at say 25,000 + tax @ say 100% X by 89 set's will bring you out at 4,806,000 Baht... that a few Baht savings huh?

I wonder if you would have better sound and a far less price tag than what's been used at the moment?

Or maybe these mic's are solid gold with diamonds and then painted black?

Edited by aussieinthailand

So 2 days ago those micros were around 99K THB

After GH purchase became public retailer internet price was changed overnight to 199K in order to look like a bargain...

"Public outcry" started, then Purchasing Dept states we got a discount now at 94K THB facepalm.gif

Another website now shows price around 60K THB...

New excuse: must be VAT and Excise tax....

Then the best answer of them all: "the public outcry made us save 14 millions"....

Did he meant: without outcry, someone would have been 14 M richer??? w00t.gif

I also love the: "It's ok, we bought them already but we haven't agreed on the price yet" .....blink.png

Seriously, I hope Mr PM General makes a few heads roll after that total mess up...

Or it might become difficult for him to convince the people about anti-corruption drive....

How very, very disappointing. The first real test seems to be inconsistent with peoples expectations.

"Monthon said after price negotiations, the whole system would now cost Bt53 million." - was there no effective price negotiations originally?

The only small saving grace is the fact that supposedly corrective action has now been taken, albeit this was after the public outcry. Shame.

Hopefully further investigations will be taken and any person unlawfully profiting from this will be firmly punished. mellow.png

First of all, why there was no bidding to choose the best value and accordingly, award the contract?

Whoever thinks that stars on epaulets of a man makes him lily white needs to wake up.

A Thai is a Thai is a Thai. Hundreds of years of teaching in school, home and real life and tradition mold the psyche and behaviour of Thais.

What we deem to be corruption is simply Thai way. That is how it has always been: it's tradition. Patronage, nepotism, favoritism and the ever present "brown envelopes" are all ingrained in the Thai mentality of those in government and industry.

Probity cannot be created by decree.

Government, industry AND the military...

Competitive bidding MUST be the vehicle for use of taxpayer funds used in government purchase of goods and services in order to maintain transparency and accountability. This requires a very diligent and detailed set of standarized specifications (like MIL specs - Gen. Prayuth knows what this is) to define design and operational parameters. Sole-source awards must only be used under limited conditions such as unique technology or process appropriate for a specific use. Going automatically to a high-priced product doesn't mean cheaper products cannot meet the same operational specifications.

• Like 1

555555 5555555 pick me up off the floor.. The suppliers quotes price was 145,000 baht to - 94,250baht.. We blow me away! They chose the highest price to maximise the spread of corrupt takings, including all Army personnel in on the Junta. What a farce! Now we have three factions! Red, Yellow and Green.

Bosch Thailand, the importer, had quoted their cost at Bt145,000 to Bt94,250 each - Yesterday the deal was linked to a doctor of which his company has supplied the microphones. Now it is directly Bosch. This story gets more and more wired.

I doubt Bosch has his finger in this deal but I know that they didn't had any sales rep for items two months back.

I´m a bit surprised nobody caught up on this statement from the OP:

The National Council for Peace and Order approved a proposal from the Secretariat of the PM to suspend all directives involved in procuring equipment and electronic materials during renovation of the building.

It´s very easy, no rules have been broken because they were not in place for this project! whistling.gif

I´m a bit surprised nobody caught up on this statement from the OP:

The National Council for Peace and Order approved a proposal from the Secretariat of the PM to suspend all directives involved in procuring equipment and electronic materials during renovation of the building.

It´s very easy, no rules have been broken because they were not in place for this project! whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/759567-anti-graft-body-not-investigating-140000-baht-microphones/

No one affected. No one complain, so no need to investigate.

Better do arrest Yingluck for the expensive close purchase first.

It's a pity.

The rules for the award of public contracts must be reformed urgently.

The loss of confidence is high now.

Yep, so much to do and so little time.

Interesting to read the company responsible for this attempted scam is closely linked to the PDRC leadership.The hypocrisy makes one retch.

The OP mentions "Asavasopon Co. Ltd.". That's here http://www.asavasopon.co.th/index_en.php

Company started in 1956 by k Thanee Asavasopon. No info yet on the 'close link' to PDRC.

So, jayboy, please be so kind wai.gif

PS the 'attempted' scam seems performed by those government officials. I wonder why PM Gen, Prayuth didn't let more of them go

Edited by rubl

Bosch Thailand, the importer, had quoted their cost at Bt145,000 to Bt94,250 each - Yesterday the deal was linked to a doctor of which his company has supplied the microphones. Now it is directly Bosch. This story gets more and more wired.

I doubt Bosch has his finger in this deal but I know that they didn't had any sales rep for items two months back.

For ages American and European companies have not been able to deal with the Thai government directly as that could open them up for accusations and prosecution back home. So many sell to local partners and so and happily report brisk sales. No idea how that works financially, I'm just a simple technical guy.

Edited by rubl

It's a pity.

The rules for the award of public contracts must be reformed urgently.

The loss of confidence is high now.

Yep, so much to do and so little time.

Interesting to read the company responsible for this attempted scam is closely linked to the PDRC leadership.The hypocrisy makes one retch.

The OP mentions "Asavasopon Co. Ltd.". That's here http://www.asavasopon.co.th/index_en.php

Company started in 1956 by k Thanee Asavasopon. No info yet on the 'close link' to PDRC.

PS the 'attempted' scam seems performed by those government officials. I wonder why PM Gen, Prayuth didn't let more of them go

I believe the connection is the Dr vomiting disgusting speeches on Sutheps protest stage about Y/L that have nothing to do with government but purely to insult her, and this so-called good person and his wife is what I have heard on a number of occasions.

on a side note, A DOCTOR publicly insulting and attaching a person with medical content about her woman bits and what he could do for her,,,

So much for the "DO NO HARM" isn't that an oath that doctors are supposed to observe?

I believe the connection is the Dr vomiting disgusting speeches on Sutheps protest stage about Y/L that have nothing to do with government but purely to insult her, and this so-called good person and his wife is what I have heard on a number of occasions.

on a side note, A DOCTOR publicly insulting and attaching a person with medical content about her woman bits and what he could do for her,,,

So much for the "DO NO HARM" isn't that an oath that doctors are supposed to observe?

You start to talk in innuendo and riddles which are a bit difficult to prove / disprove here. Sorry to say I am reluctant to accept your post as is.

Furthermore I still like more info on the alleged "company responsible for this attempted scam is closely linked to the PDRC leadership"

You start to talk in innuendo and riddles which are a bit difficult to prove / disprove here. Sorry to say I am reluctant to accept your post as is.

Furthermore I still like more info on the alleged "company responsible for this attempted scam is closely linked to the PDRC leadership"

For heaven sake do your homework before making more of a fool of yourself than usual.The details are plastered over the newspapers.

• Like 2

For heaven sake do your homework before making more of a fool of yourself than usual.The details are plastered over the newspapers.

Oh come on, jayboy. Not everyone has loads of spare time to do 'homework' or read all (online) newspapers.

I did find a note in the BangkokPost saying k. Abhisit warned the PM there could be repercussions if the 'expensive microphones' issue wasn't resolved to satisfaction. Somehow I don't think you referred to that though.

BTW When young I was taught to ask questions if I didn't know or didn't understand. Now if you think doing such only makes me look more of a fool, I really wonder what you learned back in England. Even in Cambridge you couldn't ask questions without making a fool of yourself? Amazing, really.

This does not bode well for the junta's mega infrastructure projects. Will the procurement dept charge an extra 300% on these projects too?

Prayuth's tardy response to the thieves at govt house that are still trying to spin the microphone purchase is unacceptable. It was vital that he showed graft would not be tolerated, and chose not too.

Providing the Big P wasn't a part of this scam to begin with, he should throw the book at the corrupt thieves as an example to others. I fear though it will continue to be business as usual.

For ages American and European companies have not been able to deal with the Thai government directly as that could open them up for accusations and prosecution back home. So many sell to local partners and so and happily report brisk sales. No idea how that works financially, I'm just a simple technical guy.

Many Farang company also cheap.

IS Bosch the next one in the cheat sheet?

Some media investigation has priced the mics at B55,000, but as far as I can make out, the DCNM-MMD system is the whole thing, priced in the list at $1,735, quoted here at B300,000, with the microphone separate. No microphone I can see on the price list comes in at much more than $200, or B6,400.