Bond villain actor Kiel dies aged 74

webfact

Bond villain actor Kiel dies aged 74

FRESNO, CA: -- Actor Richard Kiel - who played steel-toothed villain Jaws in two James Bond films - has died in California aged 74.

The towering American star, who appeared in The Spy Who Loved Me in 1977 and Moonraker in 1979, died in hospital in Fresno on Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for Saint Agnes Medical Center confirmed Kiel's death, but did not reveal the cause.

The 7ft 2in (2.18m) actor also appeared in the sports comedy Happy Gilmore, starring Adam Sandler, in 1996.

Kiel made his name as cable-chomping henchman Jaws opposite Roger Moore as 007.

He was a guest on BBC's Radio 4 programme The Reunion, which aired on Sunday, along with Moore and Bond actress Britt Ekland, recalling their parts in the spy series.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29152398

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-11
  • Like 1

007 'Jaws' villain Richard Kiel dies aged 74

LOS ANGELES - Richard Kiel, who played the towering, steel-toothed baddie "Jaws" in two James Bond movies, died Wednesday aged 74, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The 7-foot-2 inch (2.18-metre) actor, who made a career playing giants and villains, passed away in the Saint Agnes Medical Center in Fresno, spokeswoman Kelley Sanchez told AFP.

He would have been 75 on Saturday.

Besides Jaws, Kiel’s appeared opposite Adam Sandler in the 1996 comedy "Happy Gilmore" and he also voiced Vlad in Disney’s Oscar-nominated animated film "Tangled."

But he hit the bigtime with his 007 performances: Kiel was an immediate hit with filmgoers in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977) fighting 007 star Roger Moore, and returned two years later in "Moonraker."

"I had convinced the producer that Jaws should have some characteristics that were human to counteract the steel teeth," he said, cited by the Hollywood Reporter in a 2009 interview.

"I guess I overdid it -- I became too likable to kill off!"

On the small screen Kiel played an alien in "The Twilight Zone" in 1959 and appeared in horror TV series "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" in the 1970s.

Born in Detroit, Kiel -- who had worked as a nightclub bouncer and cemetrey plot salesman before getting into show business -- also appeared in TV shows including "The Man from UNC.L.E." and "The Wild Wild West."

Other big-screen credits included playing a hitman alongside Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor in 1976 comedy "Silver Streak," as well as "The Longest Yard" (1974) with Burt Reynolds.

In 1978 he appeared in "Force 10 From Navarone" and in 1985 he worked with Clint Eastwood on "Pale Rider."

He also took a turn behind the camera, co-writing and producing the 1991 family movie "The Giant of Thunder Mountain," in which he also starred.

He reprised his Jaws character in 1999 action adventure movie "Inspector Gadget" with Matthew Broderick.

In 2002 he published his autobiography, appropriately called "Making it Big in the Movies."

The TMZ celebrity news website, which first reported his death, said Kiel had been in hospital in Fresno since breaking his leg last week. The hospital spokeswoman could not confirm the detail.

While Jaws defined his career, Kiel said he did not consider it his greatest achievement, according to Entertainment Weekly.

"My best part would probably be Captain Drazak in ’Force 10 from Navarone.’ A lot of people don’t even know it’s me because I had a big beard and a great costume," it quoted him as saying.

"As Jaws, I start off as a bad guy and turn into a good guy whereas in this I appear to be a good guy and turn into a really nasty guy."
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/007-Jaws-villain-Richard-Kiel-dies-aged-74-30243036.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-11

Damn, RIP

Moonraker's opening scene <3

They dont make JB films and JB villains like they used to

They don't even make a decent JB any more since Roger Moore and the best of all, Sean Connery.

Who knows what might happen following the Referendum in Scotland?

If they break away from the UK, Sean Connery might be dragged out of retirement for a new 007 Movie, "From Scotland with No Love."

• Like 1

RIP Mr Kiel....

post-146250-0-82538900-1410442431_thumb.

Before the above photo was made Richard Kiel played

a "Kanamit" in an episode of The Twilight Zone entitled

"To Serve Man"....

post-146250-0-28667700-1410442399_thumb.

Have a Google of that episode...classic Rod Serling &

The Twilight Zone!

Edited by sunshine51

Sorry to see him go - I liked it when he turned into a goodie in Moonraker - but to be honest he was lucky to have reached 74. He had acromegaly (a disorder of the pittuitary gland which produces excess growth) and people rarely survive into middle-age with that condition. Lucky he lasted as long as he did.

'JAWS' a proper movie baddie, eating cable car cable and wrecking British Leyland Sherpa's (They wanted wrecking, crap vans) Then came up a goodie in Moonraker and pulled a bird... Sure he also had a spot in one of the Gumball rally movies but not mentioned above?

anyway RIP Mr Kiel and thanks for scaring us all at them nashers the thought of a bite from them Whrrrror!

Damn, RIP

Moonraker's opening scene <3

They dont make JB films and JB villains like they used to

They don't even make a decent JB any more since Roger Moore and the best of all, Sean Connery.

Who knows what might happen following the Referendum in Scotland?

If they break away from the UK, Sean Connery might be dragged out of retirement for a new 007 Movie, "From Scotland with No Love."

Or "Never Say Never Again, Again"