am i supposed to tip in chea food courts?

tomtom345

Hi all , am i supposed to tip in the cheap food courts?

Fried rice with chiken and bottled water cost me 50 baht , i paid 60 to the guy in there and he gave me 10 baht and said ty in thai and it looked like he wasn't expecting a tip.

Do you guys tip when you eat in such places?

Tipping was so not a part of Thai culture. It wasn't a part of British culture for a long time too. The roots "appear" to be in US culture, however there has been a fair amount of backlash against this and there is a growing trend away from it.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-end-of-restaurant-tipping-2013-08-19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22846846

They both make interesting reading.

• Like 1

In most food courts at shopping centres you have the coupon system (Big c and Tesco) so I just pay with them, I have never seen anyone tip there.

Then there's the food court on Pattaya Klang soi 16, you pay at the end of your meal, I leave a small tip. I must admit I don't see many Thais tip there though.

Tipping at street vendors or such food courts is not expected but occasionally when a few baht only change is due then I might waive that and let them keep it. Unlike many countries, tipping here is voluntary outside of places where they legally must add service charge and tax (e.g. hotels).

Where ever I eat I always Tip, I do feel for the Thai workers as I know there Salaries are low.

So 20 baht here or there does not go amiss....

But that's me....

Many of the stalls in these food courts are manned with independent entrepreneurs.

In our local Lotus food court is a hard working Som dam lady and a Kao Kaa Moo guy and a fresh coffee girl who are all doing well, we never give "tip" but often get treated with "specials".

Where ever I eat I always Tip, I do feel for the Thai workers as I know there Salaries are low.

So 20 baht here or there does not go amiss....

But that's me....

Many of the stalls in these food courts are manned with independent entrepreneurs.

In our local Lotus food court is a hard working Som dam lady and a Kao Kaa Moo guy and a fresh coffee girl who are all doing well, we never give "tip" but often get treated with "specials".

CC

Tipping seems to be big in the US because minimum wages are quite low. So service people have to rely on tips to make a living wage. It's gotten out of hand in places like Las Vegas where everyone wants you to grease their palms for any little thing. I won't even go there because of that.

Not sure what you mean by food courts. There is no service in food courts and usually you have to purchase tickets so why/who/how are you tipping? The food carts and little mom and pop restaurants are family operated with no paid employees so again, no tipping required. Farang run restaurants/bars are obviously employing Thais so a tip for good service is recommended.

Edited by lapd