Horrendous Low Season

Norman Stanley Fletcher

I just want the massage harpies gone - I've even learnt to live with the katoeys outside most bars, but those old tarts are perched outside their blasted rub-and-tug emporiums from 9am on. A lot of the bargirls ignore me now, but the 'massaaaggeee' bleating continues unabated - I'd really like to see them bussed back to Nakhon Nowhere.

• Like 1

Just got back from a cruise around Jomtien - very quiet everywhere. Most bars empty, many shuttered early. Hardly anybody walking the streets (no Russians or Chinese to play chicken with - although spotted several smallish groups of Chinese waiting for transport by the look of things. Belt-tightening time for a while, I guess.

I miss a quiet low season. Years back there really was such a thing as a low season and I liked being able to cross second road. Then the last few years the traffic never stopped.

Baht buses and the Bangkok brigade doing the circuit around Central World - throw in the motorbikes and it can be interesting trying to get a gap in the traffic. Some really silly efforts at the traffic lights opposite Tops Market on any given day - I just wait for the lights and the last psycho to scream through the red before even setting foot on the marked crossing. Last week marked the first time I've been able to stride across Pattaya Klang with zero traffic in either direction during the day - it was clear from my Thai companion's reaction that I wasnt the only one who found it surreal.

As others have pointed out, high season will be on us again soon enough - despite the prognostications of those who are convinced that Thailand has killed the golden goose.

• Like 2

All it did was stop the price increasing. Condo's are still way overvalued even though there is a huge glut. Rent/hotel prices are still no bargain unless it's a dump. The place would have to be practically sliding into the sea before people start lowering prices.

Bar/restaurant owners are always complaining about too few customers. If they want more customers they should lower their prices.

The only thing that there are less of are Russians. The way their dear leader is acting that is fine by me. I have no patience for them anymore. Their exchange rate is quite low now and probably going lower with the latest sanctions. They can all go on holiday in Sochi or whatever and enjoy their slide back into the good ole days of empty shelves.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

I just had a friend come back from Patts & he said its ''dead-as-a-door-nail''......he mentioned my 3 regular BG's i usually BF were all available for the whole duration of his 11 day visit.

These girls would be BF'ed in a heart beat....hence my phone calls 2-3 weeks before going, just so they know i'm in town.

I did a 90 day report yesterday afternoon and I've never seen Immigration so quiet. There were around 5 or 6 other customers in there just after 3:00. I went on Christmas Day two years ago to get a re-entry permit and I thought that was quiet, but it was like Hamley's on Christmas Eve compared with yesterday.

• Like 1

I just wish that the traffic could reflect it's low season but no, it's busy as usual , sukhumvit down pattaya klang is a nightmare in the afternoons, the locals seems to have nothing else to do than driving around.

Edited by balo