Thai student wins £1 million jackpot in UK

webfact

In the Far East this mammoth win would probably be some kind of scam or a 'fix' but it is reassuring that Ladbroke's are a very reputable UK company

Maybe this young lady would like to buy a nice plot of land around Chester or invest in a beautiful home in the Premier footballer's belt in Cheshire

Not something I could do if I won an equivalent amount given the anti Farang property and land ownership restrictions

Don't feel even a hint of jealousy. I just hope that the winner can cope with all the pressures that will follow her win

Lots of sick buffaloes on the horizon

• Like 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said,FiestyFarang.We in Britain are sick of foreigners sponging off us thanks to enept politicians. In answer to one of the posts: A "bookie" is short for bookmaker.It has nothing to do with the printing of books etc.A "bookie" is someone who compiles all the betting information takes your betting money off you and if you horse or dog wins the race he pays you. Normaly you lose and the "bookie" keeps your money.

100 baht gets you more than 50 million baht in the UK. In Thailand? About 3 million. Go figure.

In Thailand? About 3 million.

So how did one monk win 6 million baht with one ticket and another monk win 38 million with several tickets in the same draw? Go figure indeed.

Anyway, the amounts available for prizes would depend on the price AND the number of tickets sold.

PATTAYA: -- A Monk residing at a South Pattaya Temple won 38 Million Baht on the Thai National Lottery on Sunday. Another Monk at the same Temple, who was ordained on Sunday won 6 Million Baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647756-44-million-baht-lottery-wins-for-two-pattaya-monks/

Well now it seems that two Pattaya monks, a 23 year old and a 81 year old have just nailed the Thai National Lottery jackpot worth a very handy FORTY FOUR MILLION Thai bahts (£934,000) and now prove even more of an embarrassment to national Buddhist leaders

http://www.wintrillions.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/two-monks-from-thailand-win-44-million-baht-national-lottery-jackpot.html

Edited by Suradit69

...ironic....

...I was told 'foreigners are not entitled to any wins in the Thai Lottery'....

I think the same may be the case of of the main UK lottery. However this isn't a government run Lottery, this is run by a betting shop which is a private company and almost certainly would be open to everyone, and rightly so.

Good luck to her with her new found riches, I go in ladbrokes about once a week, so I've probably contributed a fair bit to her new windfall. biggrin.png

Don't think so. Anyone can buy a ticket. If you win a large amount you can opt to remain anonymous too. Obviously, they prefer you don't as they like the publicity.

Apologies, you are right looking on the internet. I thought I remembered something from years ago but clearly not. :thumbsup:

Either way good luck to her, hope she enjoys it.

For the UK lottery the only rule for winners is that they must be over 16 years of age so anyone of any nationality can be a winner.

You do have to be a UK resident as well.

That's for the National Lottery; I don't know about private ones such as that run by Ladbrokes.

There seems to be some misunderstanding. If someone posts a message on ThaiVisa that you dont agree with, it does not mean that person is stupid or a <deleted> .It simply means that they have a different opinion to you. It is my opinion that the thousands of Thai people getting all the free handouts in Britain should be made to pay if they become rich. After all it is me a British taxpayer who is supplying them with the handouts.I am not stupid.It is my opinion.

<snip>

In Western countries the State pay for a place to live, food etc. In the UK this is a professional business for some Immigrants who are quite happy to live off the UK benefit system with no shame or intention to work. The UK government is so out of touch with reality it is astonishing. I am British and part of the reason I left was that I was so fed up with a great system being abused and I was paying 40% tax so much going to lazy immigrants.......

Not saying that you two are stupid, but you are both certainly totally ignorant of the UK immigration rules when it comes to what public funds immigrants, permanent or temporary, can receive!

In addition to my post above, see the Home Office leaflet Public Funds; but only if you are prepared to be educated.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

She should be made to pay the million pounds back to the British taxpayer who have paid for her health care through the National health service for years.All for free.She and thousands of Thais in Britain who have been getting one sort of a benefit or another all for free should be made to pay the benefits back if they get " in the money."

She hasn't been in the UK for years, and for all you and I know may have never received any NHS care at all!

She certainly wont have received any other public funds; foreign students can't claim them.

My wife has been living and working and paying income tax and NICs in the UK for over 13 years. She, and all the other Thais who have been doing the same, is as entitled to NHS treatment as any other UK resident, and why not?

Most foreign students in the UK, as this girl is, are entitled to NHS treatment; but as they pay tuition fees of at least tree times that a British student would pay, you cannot say that they don't contribute.

Particularly as many foreign students also work part time and so do pay tax and NICs.

There are sadly a majority on here who will slate anyone and anything to do with the nation THEY CHOOSE to live in. I met my Thai wife in Newcastle when she was studying and her education like you say cost over double what a British born person's cost. Some people are just so miserablein their own lives or just sheer jealousthat little but bile comes out of them.

Eeeeeeeeeeeer, so a Thai person must pay the same as a UK native..?

Why does a Thai come to the UK to learn..?

Why do Thais charge farangs more money in LOS..?

Getting back to "bookies".Bookmakers have betting shops in many UK High streets.They look like shops. The main ones are William Hill,Ladbrokes,Corals.There are also many new online bookmakers. But be careful.The bookmaker wins in the long run and you will lose your money.They will get a lot back from this Thai girl and even more from new punters who bet because of the publicity.You just walk in from the High Street and place your bet at the counter.Its great fun but be aware!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

She should be made to pay the million pounds back to the British taxpayer who have paid for her health care through the National health service for years.All for free.She and thousands of Thais in Britain who have been getting one sort of a benefit or another all for free should be made to pay the benefits back if they get " in the money."

She hasn't been in the UK for years, and for all you and I know may have never received any NHS care at all!

She certainly wont have received any other public funds; foreign students can't claim them.

My wife has been living and working and paying income tax and NICs in the UK for over 13 years. She, and all the other Thais who have been doing the same, is as entitled to NHS treatment as any other UK resident, and why not?

Most foreign students in the UK, as this girl is, are entitled to NHS treatment; but as they pay tuition fees of at least tree times that a British student would pay, you cannot say that they don't contribute.

Particularly as many foreign students also work part time and so do pay tax and NICs.

There are sadly a majority on here who will slate anyone and anything to do with the nation THEY CHOOSE to live in. I met my Thai wife in Newcastle when she was studying and her education like you say cost over double what a British born person's cost. Some people are just so miserablein their own lives or just sheer jealousthat little but bile comes out of them.

Eeeeeeeeeeeer, so a Thai person must pay the same as a UK native..?

Why does a Thai come to the UK to learn..?

Why do Thais charge farangs more money in LOS..?

Same what? Tax and NICs? Yes.

University or other tuition fees? No; they pay far more. They don't get an interest free loan from the UK government to cover their fees and living costs either; they have to prove they can cover all of that themselves or they wont get their visa!

Many foreign students come to the UK to learn for a wide variety of reasons. Good job they do; the higher tuition fees they pay subsidise the lower ones paid by British students, or the zero fees paid by British students at university in Scotland.

Dual pricing in Thailand is an oft brought up subject on TV; but what has it got to do with this topic?

• Like 1

We are all getting our knickers in a twist. Good luck to the Thai girl who won with the winning ticket. But was she a student or a "student". In London there are thousands of mainly Japanese(and maybe Thai) "students" who live off British taxpayers benifits. I know because I have talked to them.There is no benifits system in Japan or Thailand so they come to Britain and live off us because they do not want to work. If you want to explore this further just go to The Japanese Centre near to Piccadilly Circus in London and talk to them.They will say,"I no want to work" then they giggle.

For the UK lottery the only rule for winners is that they must be over 16 years of age so anyone of any nationality can be a winner.

and be resident in the UK ( not sure if or how they verify the residency status ) .

Edited by attento

and be resident in the UK ( not sure if or how they verify the residency status ) .

It wasn't the UK Lottery, it was Ladrokes.

The windfall in Chester is the second million pound payout for Ladbrokes within a year following a jackpot won from a £4 stake in Bournemouth in December 2013, and the latest winner joins an exclusive club of no more than 15 betting shop millionaires created in history.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: “We couldn’t be happier for our history-making millionaire.

“She’s defied the odds in style more than making up for her near miss earlier in the summer and she’s now the first female to join the small club of those who won a million in their local betting shop.”

He added: “These jackpots are won once in a blue moon so the odds of two coming along in under a year are very long at 65,182,370/1.”

The 49′s is a popular lottery-style draw game which takes place twice a day

Getting back to "bookies".Bookmakers have betting shops in many UK High streets.They look like shops. The main ones are William Hill,Ladbrokes,Corals.There are also many new online bookmakers. But be careful.The bookmaker wins in the long run and you will lose your money.They will get a lot back from this Thai girl and even more from new punters who bet because of the publicity.You just walk in from the High Street and place your bet at the counter.Its great fun but be aware!

Ladbrokes even have a Thai language website. I recently wrote to them asking about the legality of betting from Thailand and they said it as perfectly legal. Thai law say online gambling is legal if the company is based outside Thailand.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/th-th/

Strangely, the Thai one is working but the English one has been blocked.

Edited by Neeranam

Ladbrokes even have a Thai language website. I recently wrote to them asking about the legality of betting from Thailand and they said it as perfectly legal. Thai law say online gambling is legal if the company is based outside Thailand.

That's interesting, as I just saw that website and it is indeed in Thai language.......and 20 others.

Can you provide a link to the Thai Law stated above please? wai.gif.................anyone??

Edited by uptheos

There seems to be some misunderstanding. If someone posts a message on ThaiVisa that you dont agree with, it does not mean that person is stupid or a <deleted> .It simply means that they have a different opinion to you. It is my opinion that the thousands of Thai people getting all the free handouts in Britain should be made to pay if they become rich. After all it is me a British taxpayer who is supplying them with the handouts.I am not stupid.It is my opinion.

What handouts? She is a student at a UK University. Do you know what that costs? And she needs health insurance not the NHS. I can't believe the racist ignorance on TV

Thank you hotsoup for rushing to the front line. I often find myself doing that, but I feel more and more tired to try and oppose rational thoughts to idiotic, racist, prejudiced, antediluvian, nasty, judgmental, stereotyped and self-agrandizing attitudes of self-righteous Westerners here who think that the West has it all, understands it all, and achieved it all without causing any harm to the rest of the world.

... And who nevertheless came to live here... for some obscure reason.

Again, thank you, hotsoup, may your soup never get cold.

What on earth is that supposed to mean?. A girl wins the lottery. Lucky her. As above not likely to be poor girl given what it costs a foreign student to study in the UK.I fail to understand your problem. But of course I am not a westerner! And your reason for living here, if you do? Edited by hotsoup