Corruption a drag or a blessing?

glegolo

Feel for you it's not nice to be in such a situation and very annoying at the very least.

I don't have that problem, I wonder why you cannot go to the Swedish Embassy with your stuff and sort it there.

A Norway friend does this and has no problems.

Feel for you it's not nice to be in such a situation and very annoying at the very least.

I don't have that problem, I wonder why you cannot go to the Swedish Embassy with your stuff and sort it there.

Agree with you 100% - Problem here is Chaiyaphum - Bangkok 680 km both ways..... A shitty distance for a simple piece of paper

to sign for these guys....

But I dont give up yet ,,, next week immigration and new extension of stay in Khon Kaen, and THESE guys must be able to help me.....

keep fingers crossed. thank you..

Glegolo

No you are complete wrong!

It is also possible to apply common sense and bend some rules to help the customer (yes the government provides service and you are customer....not a beggar) that don't make sense without corruption.

And most probable there are official ways to short cut things....

One could blame this to the corrupt government but i would blame all the farang who stayed here to long without a valid visa. They want to get rid of begging farang which i can understand. Also they are on the hunt for overstayers, some of them have overstayed for decades. The good ones always have to be punished for the bad ones, that's how it works in many country's.

It is the same for Thai who go to Macau. I know a hi=so thai couple who went there recently and the thai lady was questioned by the Macau officials because they expected her to be a thai hooker which she sure isn't. She felt very offended by that.

One could blame this to the corrupt government but i would blame all the farang who stayed here to long without a valid visa. They want to get rid of begging farang which i can understand. Also they are on the hunt for overstayers, some of them have overstayed for decades. The good ones always have to be punished for the bad ones, that's how it works in many country's.

It is the same for Thai who go to Macau. I know a hi=so thai couple who went there recently and the thai lady was questioned by the Macau officials because they expected her to be a thai hooker which she sure isn't. She felt very offended by that.

So you are NOT blaming this on ignorant unedicated office-officials than??? People that do not have a single braincell to think with. OR people that have been programmed to live by the money, doing nothing if nothing is there for them, And this from people who work on places that supposedly should service THE PEOPLE??

For me I do sincerely hope that Thailand will discover that there is a world out there, and that they MUST try to compete. And by competing they will be forced to recognize the presence of sales promotion and being A LOT MORE serviceminded in their lifes.

Glegolo...

OP, just forget for a moment if corruption is a drag or a blessing.

You should have put 500Baht under that A4 paper and given it to the amphur people or the police.

First, you wouldn't have to waste your time complaining on this forum.

And second when back home with your A4 paper signed you could always start thinking if corruption is a drag or a blessing.

• Like 1

So for me, sometimes,,,,,,,corruption is NOT a drag, it is actually a blessing, and a nice oil in the machinery!!

Not everything that foreigners regard as corruption is, but yes "playing the game" is often more efficient and less time consuming.

I grew up in suburban Chicago in the US during the senior Daley's reign. "Cooperating" with the "established way of doing things" was (and probably still is) the best way to get things done ... in fact quite often it was the only way. Usually both sides got what they wanted, so it was considered of mutual benefit to all concerned.

Paying exorbitant taxes to support often inadequate public services might make some people happier, but wouldn't you rather pay a small "tax" on an as-needed basis and see results than to be taxed to death to maintain government services that you never use?

It's a blessing for the corrupt and a drag for the person on the other side, that said, many thing

will be very awkward to arrange had not been for the palm greasing tradition here...

" palm greasing tradition here ..."

There's a reason why "palm greasing" is an English expression. I'm certain it exists in every country in the world to some extent. The corruption in the financial centers of New York and London is beyond belief, and in Washington D.C it's obscene.

Not condoning it, but the suggestion that it is a tradition here ( and by implication nowhere else) is unfair and naive. I hope no one believes he or she comes from a country where "palm greasing" or worse does not exist.

Edited by Suradit69

It's just growing pains. People don't know what is expected of them so they err on the side of caution. Once the dust settles and the low class expats looking to cut corners and do things illegally move on, I think things will be running much smoother and the rest of us won't be scrutinized and treated as criminals.

Of course the corrupt route is the easiest - there would be no point otherwise.

For me, the net result of corruption on the scale we see in Thailand is that economically it holds the country in the dark ages. None of that money goes into the government tax system to help develop the country and hence the poor are going to stay poor and the rich get very rich.

For us farang of course it means the cost of living stays cheap and we can live like Kings for the same price as living a very normal life in a semi-detached street somewhere in our home country. Thailand's loss is our gain - but I would still prefer it to be different.

• Like 1

it makes about as much sense as the case where some guy applying for a Thai passport (The rare few) also provided a photo of his house. How the hell is that admissible?, it could be any house nothing is verified. I am not surprised they bring the village Poo Yai that makes perfect "Thai sense" and enjoy the cheap living!! The more stamps, people references, checks and time wasted the better aka Thainess.

The Swedish form is very specific about who can sign it. eg a Public notary (a lawyer who charges a lot of money), A national censor official (try finding one of those), A Swedish church official (dont know if there is one in LOS, maybe one in BBK but not Isaan)), A humble policeman can sign it etc. I took mine to my doctor to sign. Thought he should know if I am alive if anyone does. Ha ha . Not acceptable to the Swedish Pension department. Crazy

It is always a pain in the backside to get it acceptably signed every year

Yes, it can be a little frustrating. We went to get my 12 month extension to my non o visa yesterday at immigration, based on marriage. Prior to this we had visited immigration and contacted the call centre (wife did) to ensure that we prepared the correct documents. So we then prepared according to what we had been told.

Well we got rejected by the woman we saw..so I assume that each officials interpretation of what is required varies.

Rejection reasons included:

Photos at Baan.....insufficient photos because we didn't have one of us near the house number on the front fence ( there isn't a number on it). We had photos of us in the house, with family, house book etc.

Marriage certificate..we took the original, as given by the Amphur....it was rejected because I needed to provide proof that I was single before we married. We explained that this evidence was provided to the Amphur when we were married. They said the Amphur isn't trusted and I have to bring them a certified document showing I was single.

Bank information....we took a current bank letter, statement of transactions for the last 2 years for our joint account, all obtained the week before prior to going and also the bank book. We got rejected because the bank book transaction wasn't current to the day we turned up to immigration.

We were a bit bemused by it...but like most things in Thailand, a bit of perseverance and it eventually all turns out.

So you are NOT blaming this on ignorant unedicated office-officials than??? People that do not have a single braincell to think with. OR people that have been programmed to live by the money, doing nothing if nothing is there for them, And this from people who work on places that supposedly should service THE PEOPLE??

For me I do sincerely hope that Thailand will discover that there is a world out there, and that they MUST try to compete. And by competing they will be forced to recognize the presence of sales promotion and being A LOT MORE serviceminded in their lifes.

Glegolo...

your OP nicely written.in regards to your las post i have to admit this is not uniquely to Thailand.

Corruption in Thailand is seriously fkd up it's disgusting.

Anyone that thinks it works is deluded.

Sure once or twice, it helped or saved your ass, but much more so being a western person in Thailand, it will eventually cause trouble usually costing baht. Be careful out there, listen to your wife.

How many times Thais suffer from this is just terrible.

• Like 1

So for me, sometimes,,,,,,,corruption is NOT a drag, it is actually a blessing, and a nice oil in the machinery!!

Not everything that foreigners regard as corruption is, but yes "playing the game" is often more efficient and less time consuming.

I grew up in suburban Chicago in the US during the senior Daley's reign. "Cooperating" with the "established way of doing things" was (and probably still is) the best way to get things done ... in fact quite often it was the only way. Usually both sides got what they wanted, so it was considered of mutual benefit to all concerned.

Paying exorbitant taxes to support often inadequate public services might make some people happier, but wouldn't you rather pay a small "tax" on an as-needed basis and see results than to be taxed to death to maintain government services that you never use?

It's a blessing for the corrupt and a drag for the person on the other side, that said, many thing

will be very awkward to arrange had not been for the palm greasing tradition here...

" palm greasing tradition here ..."

There's a reason why "palm greasing" is an English expression. I'm certain it exists in every country in the world to some extent. The corruption in the financial centers of New York and London is beyond belief, and in Washington D.C it's obscene.

Not condoning it, but the suggestion that it is a tradition here ( and by implication nowhere else) is unfair and naive. I hope no one believes he or she comes from a country where "palm greasing" or worse does not exist.

What an insufferable blowhard.

When it suits me.....A Blessing

Corruption suits an acquaintance of mine just fine.

He's been caught drunk driving 8 or 9 times and just paid a roadside bribe.

He's going to kill somebody and then just bribe his way out of it again.

Would you consider corruption a blessing if it's you or a loved one he kills?