Land, inheritance taxes this year: PM

Lite Beer

The coffers must be empty, or why all these new taxes. Maybe he should travel to Scandinavia to get some new ideas about new taxes, they tried once "Dog Tax" in Sweden, it did not work out very well. Maybe he can Introduce "Buffalo Tax" 300 THB per animal per year, or a "Mia Noi" tax, ( progressive tax depending on how many Mia Noi's you got)

I'm OK then.

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the NLA is - generally a government dicusses and debates issues.

In this case:

The NLA members praised Prayuth's policies, and other than offering a couple of proposals, they came up with no points that need to be debated by Cabinet.

"I would like to applaud the administration policy, particularly the one on protecting and honouring the monarchy... a practical framework has been laid down so relevant public organisation can operate more effectively," NLA member and academic Taweesak Suthakavatin said.

"I'd like to applaud the government's policies, which cover all of the [reform] dimensions," businessman Isara Vongkusolkit said.

It seems like the NLA can just be replaced by an applause and laugh track. They don't seem to do much else.

With the remotely controlled government we had before that seems just the case at times. The somewhat modified blanket amnesty bill comes to mind.

Of course the difference being that the Yingluck Administration was democratic in doing so, not the NLA.

Anyway, may I suggest you contact the PM to offer your suggestion. I'm sure he'd be appreciative.

So you wrote about striking similarities from articles you think you cannot link to or quote here and you want me to google along with my Thailand based trueWIFI connection?

BTW it might be that unlike Gen. Prayuth Gen Sarit was a real son of the Earth, from NorthEast as well.

"He was born inBangkok, but grew up in his mother's home town in Lao-speaking northeastern Thailand and considered himself an Isan. His father, Major Luang Ruangdetanan (birth name Thongdi Thanarat), was a career army officer best known for his translations into Thai of Cambodian literature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarit_Thanarat

Now as for the similarities, still wondering what you meant. The wiki page doesn't give much

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayuth_Chan-ocha

PS searching and finding is easy, but it help if you know what you're looking for. I still don't know what to search for apart from "prayuth", "sarin", "similarity/similarities". Maybe add "against rules", or "blocked in Thailand" ?

Whoa, no wait, besides the nothing you've posted above, I've just noticed your post count. And you've 'so little time and so much to do'! laugh.png

BTW, I, along with other posters appear to be able to gain access to information, with a basic bloody TOT connection sans VPN or TOR w00t.gif So far coffee1.gif

So, you still don't even want to hint at the similarities between the two generals apart from the suggestive millions one left behind and some just assume the other will as well.

Note that to search one must know what to search for otherwise searches can easily give you millions of hits. To only look at the first hundred already takes more time than I'm prepared to put into it on a nice Saturday.

PS apart from my post count, did you also notice my date of registration?

Cheers,

inmate_58

Edited by rubl

Penniless Farangs who escape their country to take advantage of Thailand's cheap living and avoid paying taxes in their own country... discuss about inheritance and property taxes of a country they don't belong to... Funny.

It is very easy for foreigners to agree with, and applaud, the plans of the new "regime", when too poor to be concerned by these taxes anyway.

But when it comes to increasing taxes on alcohol, then suddenly there is an uproar :)

I don't like these "tax the rich" threads.

It does not help anything anyway. The rich know how to avoid taxes. It just hurts the middle class, and the proceeds never go to the poor.

• Like 2

The coffers must be empty, or why all these new taxes. Maybe he should travel to Scandinavia to get some new ideas about new taxes, they tried once "Dog Tax" in Sweden, it did not work out very well. Maybe he can Introduce "Buffalo Tax" 300 THB per animal per year, or a "Mia Noi" tax, ( progressive tax depending on how many Mia Noi's you got)

The difference is Scandinavian countries collect taxes to give back in services. Thailand collect taxes to fill the pockets of few ultra corrupt people and to buy weapons. Services for school, hospitals and elderies have all been cut in the past weeks.

More taxes, less service = more corruption and more misery

Very True and very sad.

The whole point of having a land/property tax is to prevent landlords sitting on unused assets. Which is detrimental to Thailand's development. There are huge tracts of land in Bangkok and elsewhere that landlords just hold waiting for the price to increase. That overvalues adjacent land creating a false market.

Fluidity in both the property and land markets are required for Thailand to further develop it's property sector.

But according with Thai logic, those landlords will just add the taxes to the price of their plots, which will overvalue it even more.

Also the value on which the taxes are calculated are a laugh for then compared with the price they value it in a sale.

Where I live land is sold at 4 million a Rai, while at the land department it is valued at 350.000 Baht currently.

Penniless Farangs who escape their country to take advantage of Thailand's cheap living and avoid paying taxes in their own country... discuss about inheritance and property taxes of a country they don't belong to... Funny.

It is very easy for foreigners to agree with, and applaud, the plans of the new "regime", when too poor to be concerned by these taxes anyway.

But when it comes to increasing taxes on alcohol, then suddenly there is an uproar smile.png

It does not help anything anyway. The rich know how to avoid taxes. It just hurts the middle class, and the proceeds never go to the poor.

Don't know which is your country, but in most you don't have to pay tax when your penniless. Also you might be too penniless to move to another country and surely too penniless to avoid taxes you don't have to pay.

Anyway the argument with "tax the rich, doesn't help anyway" is not a valid argument. Just because you think it doesn't work they shouldn't bother to even try? that would mean that indeed only the middle class is left to tax and the poor don't have any.

At first I thought the property tax would have a huge negative affect on the property market but looking into it, it's just 1 thousand baht tax per million baht of appraised prices. With all the land banks and empty properties sat in Bangkok alone, it seems like an easy revenue source.

• Like 1

The whole point of having a land/property tax is to prevent landlords sitting on unused assets. Which is detrimental to Thailand's development. There are huge tracts of land in Bangkok and elsewhere that landlords just hold waiting for the price to increase. That overvalues adjacent land creating a false market.

Fluidity in both the property and land markets are required for Thailand to further develop it's property sector.

But according with Thai logic, those landlords will just add the taxes to the price of their plots, which will overvalue it even more.

Also the value on which the taxes are calculated are a laugh for then compared with the price they value it in a sale.

Where I live land is sold at 4 million a Rai, while at the land department it is valued at 350.000 Baht currently.

Yes what you say is correct and the Government would have the options of properly researching the true value which I agree is difficult or charging a higher percentage tax to compensate for the undervaluation.

However I would believe you would agree that any system that gets land moving is a benefit. The last big land sale of course was in the early '90s when interest rates were so high that owning land was a crazy idea.

Yes what you say is correct and the Government would have the options of properly researching the true value which I agree is difficult or charging a higher percentage tax to compensate for the undervaluation.

However I would believe you would agree that any system that gets land moving is a benefit. The last big land sale of course was in the early '90s when interest rates were so high that owning land was a crazy idea.

Under valuation ? Over valuation you will mean, or how do you explain that prices have quadrupled over the period of 7 years, in an area where during that same period hasn't been sold a single plot of land.

I'm sure that this observation isn't restricted to my area only.

But when it comes to increasing taxes on alcohol, then suddenly there is an uproar smile.png

Don't know which is your country, but in most you don't have to pay tax when your penniless. Also you might be too penniless to move to another country and surely too penniless to avoid taxes you don't have to pay.

Anyway the argument with "tax the rich, doesn't help anyway" is not a valid argument. Just because you think it doesn't work they shouldn't bother to even try? that would mean that indeed only the middle class is left to tax and the poor don't have any.

Good point. It's easy to offer advice that you'll never have to live by, on how to best run someone else's country.

It's a bit like a house guest telling you what colour to paint your house.

Sounds like a method to force poor rice farmers to sell off their farms in order to pay land taxes.

History shows that the rich can always create tax avoidance vehicles while the poor get stung.

I dont doubt for one minute that the rich elites will allow the general to get his hands on their wealth. Everybody is expendable.

And note that its probably only in the last 10 years that there has been any scrutiny of politicians at all.

Anyone who believe that the head of the army is pure as the snow is delusional

And yet, for the head of a PTP government you demand proof?

Well it would be reasonable that they prove any allegation wouldn't it.

I don't really get the point of your message. There are billionsnof baht secreted away by horrendously corrupt people in Thailand. Politicians actually get a rough time of Jt.

Believing that the army are clean is nuts.

The difference is Scandinavian countries collect taxes to give back in services. Thailand collect taxes to fill the pockets of few ultra corrupt people and to buy weapons. Services for school, hospitals and elderies have all been cut in the past weeks.

More taxes, less service = more corruption and more misery

The Education Ministry got the biggest rise this year and has the largest budget 19% of the Thai budget this year. The Defence ministry got the same increase as last year.

@max72, if you have the proof that Thailand collects taxes for the corrupt few then please tell the government.

And slowly Thailand gets more and more expensive to live, whilst offering nothing more attractive to live here. I would gladly pay more if standards of living would increase too but.....outpricing yourself wil not helpon the long term

Well it has to start somewhere.

Filling potholes costs money. How much do you pay your tessaban every year to clean the streets and take away the trash?

Mine was a pittance.

Wrong, not only 20% pay taxes.....everybody paid taxes in Thailand...it's called sales tax or VAT...also almost all pay taxes indirectly by purchasing anything not made in Thailand and subject to customs duty or import taxes.

Rushing in tax legislation this year means that it will be designed in haste, and we, the people, can repent at leisure. It is not necessarily a bad idea to have these taxes but they have to be designed fairly and not have huge loopholes for the rich, especially on the inheritance tax. Rushing through an important piece of legislation like this almost always results in bad legislation.

Wrong, not only 20% pay taxes.....everybody paid taxes in Thailand...it's called sales tax or VAT...also almost all pay taxes indirectly by purchasing anything not made in Thailand and subject to customs duty or import taxes.

Rushing in tax legislation this year means that it will be designed in haste, and we, the people, can repent at leisure. It is not necessarily a bad idea to have these taxes but they have to be designed fairly and not have huge loopholes for the rich, especially on the inheritance tax. Rushing through an important piece of legislation like this almost always results in bad legislation.

Yes and no.

Yes, there will most likely be loopholes, same like in other countries. None of them seems to get it right first time.

No, don't wait as the last time a government tried to introduce property and inheritance tax (the appointed Surayut government in 2007) they were persuaded to drop it as only elected governments should handle such important issues.

Maybe some first amendments to be planned and prepared to coincide with the NLA's last day in office, around September next year ?