Phuket V/Gov tells ex beach vendors to find a new job

Lite Beer

i guess they mean: overprice the tourists or fight them off the beach when they just want to sit on the sand with their towel

easy money, like easy big money jobs like taxi fare of 1500 baht for a few km or the excellent return on investment jet-ski scratch you pay or we beat you up extortions

how will we support our family with our honest jobs in the factory .... kind of cry baby

I would presume though some of the beach vendors were self employed, and some of them were 'family employed', so no social security whatsoever.

Individuals can elect to make payment by themselves, so there are no excuses.

Are you sure about that? People without official employment can make payments?

This was my take on the issue. There is NO unemployment on Phuket. Training might involve how to fill out an employment apllication.

Let's face it. These people got kicked off the beach for running an illegal business and now they want a handout.

Go find a job.

From your own comfortable station, it is easy to tell the now unemployed beach massage lady to go and work at the gas station for 300 Baht per day. But she has obligations to meet, like maybe putting children through university, and needs far more than that.

Please don't come with the "they knew it was illegal" argument. Commercial activities at the beach have been tolerated for 30+ years, so of course these (lowly educated) people expected to be able to continue what they were doing.

And now they are told not too for the greater good. Had they not screwed over too many tourists then things would have been ok. But they wanted more more and more 2 rows of chairs became 4. If you lie in the sand they harass you. They have themselves to blame.

If my work becomes obsolete i would complain but would you pay for me ? Probably not its a tough life and its not like they can't work with the such a low unemployment rate. They just don't want to do a step back in income (understandable) but good for the tourists. If they want rows of beach chairs they should go to Spain. This is the tropics people come for nice beaches not to be pestered by everyone.

If and that is the problem here people could accept rules and keep to the small sheds or 2 rows of beach chairs it would be ok. But they have proven that they cannot.

I would presume though some of the beach vendors were self employed, and some of them were 'family employed', so no social security whatsoever.

Yes - my wife did it after she left her job. She pays i think 450 THB per month by direct debit.

Yes - my wife did it after she left her job. She pays i think 450 THB per month by direct debit.

I know this is possible after having been officially employed. But without that?

Also, afaik that payment is for health only, not for 'total' social security. Since total minimum payment per month is 700 Baht the amount she pays also seems to indicate this is for the health insurance part only.

Oh dear, if they were never officially employed, they probably paid no official tax. Just think of all that tax savings that were put into personal savings in case a rainy day came. Guess what, the rainy day is here, but did anything get saved by skimping out on not paying taxes nor paying into social security?

I was hoping they would offer them jobs picking litter and raking the beach every day.
But that takes money and I guess they don't know where to get the funds.

Then there would be the issue of getting rid of said waste.

I'd rather see that than the crime rate go up.

Not all of these guys were bad.
Some were good at their job, stopped a lot of trouble, saved people drowning, cleaned up their area, and put up with (sometimes) rude tourists.
A few bad ones, yes. But not all.

• Like 1