Buying used motorbike in Phetchabun area

revgreen

Hey all. I live in Phetchabun and I'm wanting to buy a used motorbike. Something sports/tour/cruiser style (i.e. not a scooter/moped, no Click or Wave or anything).

Examples:

http://www.mocyc.com/market/1079839/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2SUZUKIDR250CC29000%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97

http://www.mocyc.com/market/1079936/%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%8D%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%86Phantom200cc

I've found plenty of listing in BKK, but I can't find anything in Phetchabun. I'm not took keen and going down to BKK not knowing I'll for sure return with a bike.

I know of a single place in town that sells secondhand bikes, but they're a bit out of my price range.

Thanks.

There are a few secondhand shops dotted around Phetchabun,the first one I can think of is opposite the hospital on the main road.

They did have a fairly nice selection from what I see only at a glance mind you,and possibly beyond your price range.

What is it you are looking for exactly ?

What size 200 cc 250 cc or larger there are masses of 250 cc bikes around at the moment but I'm sure you need to be spending a good few baht.

You will be hard pressed finding any classified adds for up this way that's for certain.

There are a few secondhand shops dotted around Phetchabun,the first one I can think of is opposite the hospital on the main road.

They did have a fairly nice selection from what I see only at a glance mind you,and possibly beyond your price range.

What is it you are looking for exactly ?

What size 200 cc 250 cc or larger there are masses of 250 cc bikes around at the moment but I'm sure you need to be spending a good few baht.

You will be hard pressed finding any classified adds for up this way that's for certain.

Yeah that is the place I checked already. Great selection but most bikes were around 60k+. For the price of the down payment alone I could almost outright buy one from a private seller like I posted in those links.

I'm looking for 150-250 cc. Nothing huge, just anough to get around town and take some weekend rides up in the mountains. Maybe do the Mae Hong Son/Golden Triangle route for vacation in October.

I don't care if it's sport/touring/cruiser. I'm particularly fond of vintage bikes. Back home I had a 1985 Honda Rebel similar to this: http://s292.photobucket.com/user/biker-chickk/media/rebelhome.jpg.html

I'm not wanting to spend over 30k really. I know you can find some Honda CBRs and Honda Rebels for this price, I just can't find any outside of BKK.

There is a place or a guy, selling bikes lkke that near the Electricity company, he also has a shop selling bb guns.

Another one is just off the main cross roads, 50 yds up from the lights.

Not exactly sure where either of those places are

So I found a bike - went with a Phantom. Really enjoying the ride so far though I'm still wondering if I shoulda went CBR.

I know there are riding groups in town, but I'm probably a good decade or two younger than most of the farang riders here so I don't really frequent the same places as they do. Advice on where to meet up with them? I'd love to get some in-person advice and maybe go on some rides

Apologies for jumping into the thread with a non-related question but I'm a newbie (ish) up here in Phetchabun and was interested in the Toffee Club that tjshannonigans mentions above... is that Toffee Club or Coffee Club and more to the point, where I might I find it/you/them/whatever? Thanks in advance for the info.

Apologies for jumping into the thread with a non-related question but I'm a newbie (ish) up here in Phetchabun and was interested in the Toffee Club that tjshannonigans mentions above... is that Toffee Club or Coffee Club and more to the point, where I might I find it/you/them/whatever? Thanks in advance for the info.

Toffee Club. I think it's by Topland (the small Tesco), but I'm not 100% as I've never been there. I also know they meet at Homeland Resort on Sundays (as someone else mentioned) but I'm not sure where - does the resort have a bar or restaurant or something?

I no zero expats in Phetchabun. Only other teachers around the same age as me.

Thanks Revgreen... yes, there are a few expats out here but they seem to tend to keep themselves to themselves..? I read an amusing post on here a while ago where someone said that they only ever saw another falang in Tesco Lotus occasionally and I guess that is the most 'western' location to hang out in in these parts. I know there are a chunk of teachers here too - albeit not enough, I have friends who are studying English at PCRU and there is a real shortage of native speakers - and so not really a critical mass anywhere just yet. I might head off and hunt for Toffee tomorrow though, so as I said, thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks Revgreen... yes, there are a few expats out here but they seem to tend to keep themselves to themselves..? I read an amusing post on here a while ago where someone said that they only ever saw another falang in Tesco Lotus occasionally and I guess that is the most 'western' location to hang out in in these parts. I know there are a chunk of teachers here too - albeit not enough, I have friends who are studying English at PCRU and there is a real shortage of native speakers - and so not really a critical mass anywhere just yet. I might head off and hunt for Toffee tomorrow though, so as I said, thanks for the confirmation.

Let me know what you find out. It seems all the expats here generally are tight-knit. I only ever see them out with their wives and what not. I see them at T-Bar, Tesco, and various coffee shops occasionally. But I see a big group that rides around on their motorbikes, which is what I'm interested in. As I said previously, I'm friends with most the younger teachers, but none of them have bikes or are interested in going touring. They tend to alternate between partying here or traveling to BKK/CM for weekends.

My girlfriend is studying English education at Rajabhat so I am around quite a few of her classmates and you can tell that the lack of a native speaker is really limiting their progress. Most of them are alright by Thai standards, but compared to people in BKK (even those who have have not studied English at univ level) they are quite behind.

From the bus station, go upto the lights x roads, turn right, go down to the lights by scb bank, turn left upto the lights, 50ft on the left is TOFFEE , if you go past that, next lights go left and on the left is another corner shop you will often see ferangs sat outside here too, bikes parked in front.

As for homeland, go through the main entrance doors, through to the poolside, many tables and chairs to have a drink or something to eat.

Look guys, walk up to any farang or Thai in the city, ask them for toffee club. Homeland resort is situated way past the big Buddha, again just ask a local. It is not hard!!!

Nobody is confused as to where they are located... I already explained exactly where they are both at.

Look guys, walk up to any farang or Thai in the city, ask them for toffee club. Homeland resort is situated way past the big Buddha, again just ask a local. It is not hard!!!

Nobody is confused as to where they are located... I already explained exactly where they are both at.
No you didn't, what exactly are you saying?

No you didn't, what exactly are you saying?

I said Toffee is beside Topland and Homeland is past the universities. Then someone else came and gave more detailed directions.

Toffee's is bang opposite the main Isuzu dealership in town, there is a motley crew of ex-pats there and you need your BS detector finely tuned.

For a better class of peeps go to the Battle Horse Army barracks golf club. Opposite Big C supermarket. Meet every Tuesday & Fridays for golf comps and social, - 0930hrs.

Toffee's is bang opposite the main Isuzu dealership in town, there is a motley crew of ex-pats there and you need your BS detector finely tuned.

For a better class of peeps go to the Battle Horse Army barracks golf club. Opposite Big C supermarket. Meet every Tuesday & Fridays for golf comps and social, - 0930hrs.

Speaking of... I've been wanting to go play a round since I moved here. Can you rent clubs there? How much is the green fee?

Speaking of... I've been wanting to go play a round since I moved here. Can you rent clubs there? How much is the green fee?

There are limited sets of clubs on the driving range. Best to speak to the Thai Army Sergeant who is the green fee cashier in the club house. His name is Sunday.

Green fees are 220THB for 9 holes, that includes the caddy fee. The usual tip for a caddy is 100 THB upwards, up to you if you think it warrants more. Its a testing 9 holes with a water hazard on every hole. If you break 50 you have had a good day.

When you go through the security barrier just tell the soldiers you want to play golf and park up on the right just after, its a pretty straight forward layout.

There are limited sets of clubs on the driving range. Best to speak to the Thai Army Sergeant who is the green fee cashier in the club house. His name is Sunday.

Green fees are 220THB for 9 holes, that includes the caddy fee. The usual tip for a caddy is 100 THB upwards, up to you if you think it warrants more. Its a testing 9 holes with a water hazard on every hole. If you break 50 you have had a good day.

When you go through the security barrier just tell the soldiers you want to play golf and park up on the right just after, its a pretty straight forward layout.

Sounds good then. Is it usually crowded? I haven't played in well over a year since living here so I'm going to be quite rusty and don't want to constantly have people playing behind me.

Are there carts or is it all walking?

Can't wait for the weather to cool off...

There are carts if you wish, you play 5 holes and come back to the clubhouse, quick pit stop and then the next 4 holes. You can play more but obviously you will have to pay extra. Its only crowded when special competions are on.

The ex -pat society play in the mornings and the Thais usually mid/late afternoons. There is a driving range and putting & chipping areas, plus there is a club pro for lessons and a small shop but he is often hard to track down.

The clubhouse serves food and drinks, reasonably priced. I have been playing there 8 years, the course and facilities much improved, everyone gets on, locals and ex-pats, always a good day out.