Going to Mae Sai by minivan.........Don't, unless...

Maejo Man

All your papers are in order, and you are not on overstay. I drove to Mae Sai yesterday on a mamouth shopping spree, and only saw two minivans the whole trip as opposed to hundreds in months gone by. One was ahead of me at one of the numerous check points, and the police had all the occupants out of the van looking at documents. Only four were farangs and the others Asian, possibly Japanese.

The border was devoid of the normal traffic apart from Thais, and I only saw three foreigners, and these were with a Thai tourist guide, so obviuosly first time tourists. I was the only one at immigration both in and out, everybody seemd half asleep.

All in all, not the bustling place it used to be, with a lot of the street stalls gone or closed. Even the touts in Tatchilek seemed less persistant.

• Like 2

I heard last week that Mae Sai was flooded. Even if that is no longer true it could explain the lack of traffic at the border.

All long gone, and was only localised. Nothing ever really stops border traffic, except crackdowns smile.png

I'm glad to read that, I plan to go next week. Were the shops on the Tachileik side open and reasonably dry? My favorite dvd shops are on the side near the river and they sometimes "flood", if you can call a few centimeters of water a flood.

I normally have lunch at the restaurant under the bridge. i watched as the water rose 6 inch in 20 minutes. the restaurant would be flooded within the hour. I think a regular occurance here

post-150623-0-27031500-1410771304_thumb.

post-150623-0-97975900-1410771391_thumb.

the water level here in the dry season is at least 2m below this level.

post-150623-0-94712000-1410771617_thumb.

post-150623-0-73746700-1410771696_thumb.

Mae Sai has definately lost its buzz now and you tend to wander around as if on show for all venders to have a go at introducing their stock. There is so much competition for the few tourists now that they are selling embarrassingly cheap just to make a sale....sad really.

I heard last week that Mae Sai was flooded. Even if that is no longer true it could explain the lack of traffic at the border.

All long gone, and was only localised. Nothing ever really stops border traffic, except crackdowns smile.png

I'm glad to read that, I plan to go next week. Were the shops on the Tachileik side open and reasonably dry? My favorite dvd shops are on the side near the river and they sometimes "flood", if you can call a few centimeters of water a flood.

Yup all open as usual, and dry as a chip. The guy in the photo (taken from my favourite coffee shop) was probably Kalbo 123 and his missus. :)

post-7622-0-68363700-1410771939_thumb.jp

Yup all open as usual, and dry as a chip. The guy in the photo (taken from my favourite coffee shop) was probably Kalbo 123 and his missus. smile.png

Good news, thank you.biggrin.png

I realize this can change in a week, I'll keep eyes on the weather and the forum.

I go to Mae Sai regularly every 2-3 weeks for business and last few times it has been really very quiet on both sides of the border with very few tourists around - except on Sundays when there are lots of Thai shoppers in the markets.

Mae Sai also "appears" much more quiet than before because the municipal authorities have recently had a "crackdown" and cleared a lot of street vendors off the streets - especially on the main road as you approach the border immigration and on the road that goes down by the side of the immigration to the main market - and especially the ones selling the fake goods from China - though plenty of these still available in the main market and other shops.

It's certainly a lot less lively than it used to be - we'll have to wait and see if it improves when the weather cools down and the high season tourists arrive.

I go to Mae Sai regularly every 2-3 weeks for business and last few times it has been really very quiet on both sides of the border with very few tourists around - except on Sundays when there are lots of Thai shoppers in the markets.

Mae Sai also "appears" much more quiet than before because the municipal authorities have recently had a "crackdown" and cleared a lot of street vendors off the streets - especially on the main road as you approach the border immigration and on the road that goes down by the side of the immigration to the main market - and especially the ones selling the fake goods from China - though plenty of these still available in the main market and other shops.

It's certainly a lot less lively than it used to be - we'll have to wait and see if it improves when the weather cools down and the high season tourists arrive.

was immigration still issuing VIP passes,

Was there also yesterday, so I was one of the 4 farangs

indeed never seen it this quite in the more then 10 years I have been doing border/shopping runs to Tachilek.

It was a very relaxed atmosphere compared to normal.

Praise the crackdowns!

Back in 2003-2004 I found Mae Sai boarder to be empty every time i went there. However I lived in Bangkok at the time and only went to Chang Rai a few times for a little holiday. i went during the week so maybe that was why. Anyway any boarder crossing is slow compared to Annayawat.

Do they have cheap wine there ? Easy to bring back ?

There is a reasonable selection of wines and spirits at the duty free shop on the bridge, cheaper than Thailand certainly.

Personally I like the duty free shop for the obscure beers that they have for sale, sometimes I find some real winners here.

I have never had any problems taking a few bottles back over the border but I think the official amount you can bring back is 1 litre but don't quote me on that and I'm sure someone will come on here and set me straight smile.png

There is a reasonable selection of wines and spirits at the duty free shop on the bridge, cheaper than Thailand certainly.

Personally I like the duty free shop for the obscure beers that they have for sale, sometimes I find some real winners here.

I have never had any problems taking a few bottles back over the border but I think the official amount you can bring back is 1 litre but don't quote me on that and I'm sure someone will come on here and set me straight smile.png

1 liter of ANY alcohol. That would be a 3 cans of 330 ml of beer. Oh and only 200 coffin nails.

1 liter of ANY alcohol. That would be a 3 cans of 330 ml of beer. Oh and only 200 coffin nails.

Six bottles of hooch and six cartons of smokes is as much as I can carry. They ask if it's just for you, and they put a coded ribbon on the bags to let customs know to let you pass. A Thai couple behind me had bought 12 battles of wine and were staggering under the weight smile.png

A few years ago the store on the bridge had five liter boxes of wine. I never had a problem bringing back a five liter box and two liters of liquor. On one occasion, several years ago, I brought back three liters of liquor and they wanted to confiscate one bottle but I talked them out of it. Since then then I've only brought back two liters and never had a problem.

My impression, based only on personal experience, is that they only check my bag about a quarter to a third of the time, they only check for bottles, not boxes or cans, and two one liter bottles are no problem, but three might be.

Just out of curiosity is there any thing else in Mae Sai besides the shopping? Also are the savings worth it?

I realize there will be some honest border runs. But are the prices that good or is it kind of a day out of the ordinary type thing to do every once in a while.

I do remember that the selection of DVDs was really good and of a decent quality.

More interested in the Chiang Mai people as it is not that big of a trip for the Chiang Rai people.

According to the Bangkok Post the border is closed today. I can't post a link but if you do a search using "Floods shut border crossing" you should be able to find it. Hopefully the water levels will be down and the bridge pass inspection before I go on Tuesday. Shopping on the Tachilek is questionable for the time being. Pretty rough on the vendors; you may not like what they sell but it is how they earn a living.

Green bus is a much better way to go up to the border. Faster, and more flexible. Whether or not, what you bought at DF is counterfeit; not sure. They do have a history of selling fake cigs/cigars/wine/liquor and even some really funky German beer that a TV member actually posted photos of here.