Hard to believe...

richsilver

When they are at it I hope they will something about 2nd road as ThaiBob said, man it's a bumpy ride.

The roads are completely overloaded with big heavy tourist buses all dag long which wear them down very quickly.

ahh, now you've got me - i thought it was the Pattaya stage of the paris dakar rally...

Was just about to get myself an enduro bike...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are excavations like this up and down 2nd Road and hopefully they are working everywhere. Two years; this a classic case of poor(or nonexistent) job planning, even after promises by the mayor.

I assume these are to be used for underground cabling, I can see many PE ducts by looking into the excavation, but none of them have any draw strings fitted to pull through the cables, it will be a hell of a job to get cables through without these.

The build quality of the whole road project is appalling, I remember the curb being laid, it was formed by using a cement and sand mix, not concrete, hand mixed in a bathtub and put into a continuos run plywood formwork without any expansion joints, or reinforcing, progress was just a few meters a day. The correct way us to use a back hoe to dig a 50 cm wide trench, followed by a premix truck pouring concrete, then leveled to accommodate preformed one meter long reinforced concrete curbstones, a good team should be well able to lay more than half a kilometer a day.

I think the whole job was unprofessional, it started falling apart within a few days, it looks like it was carried out by rice farmers, no disrespect to them, but 'Horses for Courses' I think.

I sent an email to the Mayor about 3 weeks ago ( never had promised reply ) complaining about the holes and pointing out that small forests were growing. Asked him how on earth a disabled friend in a wheel chair who was visiting his city soon was going to navigate the pavements in Jomtien.

Also enquired how the terrible infrastructure fitted in with his vision of a world class resort.

So fellow members you have me to thank for the work and I look forward to the improved pavements and the creation of a truly smart world class resort.

• Like 2

I sent an email to the Mayor about 3 weeks ago ( never had promised reply ) complaining about the holes and pointing out that small forests were growing. Asked him how on earth a disabled friend in a wheel chair who was visiting his city soon was going to navigate the pavements in Jomtien.

Also enquired how the terrible infrastructure fitted in with his vision of a world class resort.

So fellow members you have me to thank for the work and I look forward to the improved pavements and the creation of a truly smart world class resort.

Hmm.

Now that you've got his ear, could you explain to him that having REAL Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya could also advance this city towards the world class goal?

Hmm.

Now that you've got his ear, could you explain to him that having REAL Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya could also advance this city towards the world class goal?

I will try, but if you really think that the requests of a Gentleman of a certain age living in Jomtien will have an effect - pigs might fly.

I think my email got no further than the delete button. I could ask him out for a date perhaps?

With a bit of luck the PM will turn his eye on the taxis- the price they want from say Central to sunny Jomtien is outrageous- I refuse to use the baht buses; so would be good.

Regards

• Like 1

I came here for the potholes. I've not been disappointed. They don't measure up to the potholes in India or Bangladesh, but you can still dangle your legs in them while eating a takeaway pizza. The prettiest pothole I ever saw was in Mexico - it even had its own mariachi band. That poster who's emailing the mayor, can you ask him to launch a Miss Pothole competition?

• Like 2

The pot holes I get. What I don't get is those concrete things that stick out on the pavements, there are plenty of them on the stretch from the fly over up to Sugar hut. Some have been made into lovely plant stands while others make for rubbish bins, Whats them all about ?

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

• 2 months later...

"After perhaps two years, they seem to be doing some work on these awful holes in Jomtien!"

Was this just another fleeting fantasy, or what?

Seems the brief spurt of activity awhile back on the Abysmal Craters of Jomtien has become an event relegated to history. Yet another TiT???

Edited by SurfRider

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are excavations like this up and down 2nd Road and hopefully they are working everywhere. Two years; this a classic case of poor(or nonexistent) job planning, even after promises by the mayor.

I assume these are to be used for underground cabling, I can see many PE ducts by looking into the excavation, but none of them have any draw strings fitted to pull through the cables, it will be a hell of a job to get cables through without these.

The build quality of the whole road project is appalling, I remember the curb being laid, it was formed by using a cement and sand mix, not concrete, hand mixed in a bathtub and put into a continuos run plywood formwork without any expansion joints, or reinforcing, progress was just a few meters a day. The correct way us to use a back hoe to dig a 50 cm wide trench, followed by a premix truck pouring concrete, then leveled to accommodate preformed one meter long reinforced concrete curbstones, a good team should be well able to lay more than half a kilometer a day.

I think the whole job was unprofessional, it started falling apart within a few days, it looks like it was carried out by rice farmers, no disrespect to them, but 'Horses for Courses' I think.

Since my lat post on this subject, it seems that the "Walls" of the holes have been mostly completed, with reinforced concrete. However to carry out the work they had to remove the flimsy red/white painted bamboo "Safety" rails, these have largely not been replaced, leaving unprotected gaping holes in the middle of the pavement, with construction materials scattered everywhere. This job apart, there never seems to be any sort of supervision or final check on any of the infrastructure jobs carried out in any part of the city.

I was chatting to a reporter from a local newspaper a couple of days ago, and I brought this subject up, he said that he covered this in a previous report, after some investigating he uncovered the fact that there was some sort of dispute with the contractor or contractors, resulting in one of them being shot !! this may well explain the reason for some of the delays here.

Since my lat post on this subject, it seems that the "Walls" of the holes have been mostly completed, with reinforced concrete. However to carry out the work they had to remove the flimsy red/white painted bamboo "Safety" rails, these have largely not been replaced, leaving unprotected gaping holes in the middle of the pavement, with construction materials scattered everywhere. This job apart, there never seems to be any sort of supervision or final check on any of the infrastructure jobs carried out in any part of the city.

I was chatting to a reporter from a local newspaper a couple of days ago, and I brought this subject up, he said that he covered this in a previous report, after some investigating he uncovered the fact that there was some sort of dispute with the contractor or contractors, resulting in one of them being shot !! this may well explain the reason for some of the delays here.

Aye, being shot would certainly slow you down a bit!