A Chinese city is asking smartphone users to walk in their own footpath lane

webfact

A Chinese city is asking smartphone users to walk in their own footpath lane
Rick Noack

CHONGQING: -- China, home to 700 million smartphone users, is now experimenting with new ways to prevent smartphone-related accidents: On a 165-foot pavement stretch in the city of Chongqing, pedestrians can choose between a normal lane and an exclusive one reserved for heavy users of mobile devices.

"There are lots of elderly people and children in our street, and walking with your cellphone may cause unnecessary collisions here," Nong Cheng, a marketing official for the group in charge of Chongqing's entertainment zone, told the Associated Press.

The idea is based on an experiment conducted by National Geographic Television earlier this year in Washington, D.C. - and is supposed to (ironically) raise awareness for the lack of attention many smartphone users pay to traffic and other pedestrians.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/a-chinese-city-is-asking-smartphone-users-to-walk-in-their-own-footpath-lane-20140916-10hhpx.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-09-16

It's good that they are doing something, but I would say just get to the side and out of the way if you want to look at your phone. I got stuck behind some woman in Sydney recently. When I got past her, she was browsing the web on an ipad. Doing this stuff when walking in a crowd is just silly.

A footpath and no moto sais?

Wow, amazing.

If this system ever came to Thailand, there'd have to be a 3rd lane for parking moto sais!!

Motorcycles are banned inside many large cities in China.

YES, those with a motor. But most m/bikes there are electric. They use the footpaths and love to sneak up behind pedestrians!

I really have difficulty understanding why people can't stop staring at their phones. I'm not talking about those in the buses and trains. Not even those who go on a date but spend more time staring at the screen than looking at their partner/friends. I'm talking about those who is just a moving barrier for the rest of society. I mean, if it is so important that you absolutely have to look at your phone while crossing the road, going up/down the stairs, walking in crowded areas etc. then for heaven's sake STOP, get out of the way, finish your business and then move on! Sheesh...

Sorry to spoil the story, but this is not the work of the local Chongqing govern : it was set up in a small amusement area of Chongqing called YangRenJie, and the owner of the privately-run area installed it as a bit of fun, but he does think it would be a reasonable idea. The owner is a wealthy businessman who has a good sense of humour, this is one of many quirky features he has installed there..... if you google Chongqing sex amusement park, that was another one of his quirky schemes, although that one got shut down before it was even allowed to open.

Edited by patjem

Maybe worth trying here. Also separate lanes for fast and slow walkers, and a special lane for flocks of zig-zaggers.

Oh and ticket-issuing pedestrian wardens at 100 metre intervals.

And separate escalators for those of us who like to walk and exercise as we go up & down avoiding all the hand-holding couples who block the way.

Fed up with saying 'kor tort' all the time.