Acharn Jooling, A Young Teacher From Chiang Rai,

Limbo

....................................................... post-6305-1153138146.jpg ..................................................

Art teacher Khun Jooling Pongunmol (27) grew up as a farmers daughter in Doi Luang, a little district between Maechan and Chiang Saen. After finishing her studies at the Rajabhat University of Lampang she went to work at a school in Narathiwat in the South of Thailand.

As her intentions were pure she didn't fear the violence in the South:

"Who would want to harm me, I just work for the best of the children?", she said to her worried friends.

It is extremely sad that she fell victim to mobviolence. This tragic moment happened now several months ago and Acharn Jooling is still in coma.

The Art and Culture Centre of the Chiangrai Rajabhat University, in co-operation with the Provincial Cultural Council, organised an exhibition of her artworks.

The 'Sala' of Chiang Rai artists contributed with their work to honour their courageous and highly respected young colleague.

The exhibition will last until the 31th of this month.

After entering the campus of Rajabhat University (superhighway to the North, after nine kilometers at your left) you take the first road to the left and follow this road when it bents to the right until you reach its highest point after about five hundred meter. You will see the art pavillion at your right.

post-6305-1153138169.jpg

Please notice: this is a posting of July 17 2006

post-6305-1153138194.jpg

post-6305-1153138855.jpg

Edited by Limbo

• 4 months later...

In today's Nation:

Juling's father awarded as good model father

The father of Juling Pongkunmul, the schoolteacher in Narathiwat who was beaten into a coma in May, said Tuesday on being selected as a "Good Model Father" for this year that he wished His Majesty the King's merit would let her regain consciousness.

Soon, a Chiang Rai native, said he still hopes his daughter will recover her senses and holds no grudges against anybody for what happened to her, whom he recalled as an obedient and healthy child.

"I always taught her to think of others before herself as the merit would befall on her. I have taken good care of and given enough warmth to her since she was very young," he said.

L.

• 5 weeks later...

In The Nation of today:

The condition of Juling Pangamoon has deteriorated tremendously Monday as physicians discovered infections in her lungs and that the oxygen level in her blood has also declined alarmingly.

The public has been asked to pray for her recovery but also to prepare for the worst, Dr. Sumet Peerawut, the director of the Prince of Songkhla Hospital where the teacher is being treated.

Juling was beaten near death last May by a group of about ten young men after a group of female villagers held her hostage amid a hostage standoff in the remote Narathiwat village of Kuching Reupah.

L.

May she rest in peace.

L.

Bangkok Post today:

"In the afternoon, Juling's coffin was flown on a C-130 air force plane to Chiang Rai, her birthplace. Troops from the Phaya Meng Rai Maharaj military base waited at Chiang Rai airport to honour the teacher's body.

The body was then taken to her house in Ban Pong Noi Tai in Chiang Rai's Doi Luang district. It will be moved today to Wat Pong Noi for funeral rites. The cremation is scheduled for Jan 15".

The Nation today:

"I would have raised hel_l when Thaksin uttered that unbelievable statement concerning your panicking peers in the southernmost region, "They have been paid a risk allowance, which means they have to take risks ..."

*** At least 60 teachers have been killed and scores injured in the deep South since 2003. Currently, more than 20,000 teachers and education-related personnel work in the volatile region.

• 1 year later...

Thai Film Delves Into Murky Muslim Insurgency

BANGKOK (Reuters / 2008-09-30) - Five years on, the insurgency in Thailand's mainly Muslim south continues to defy attempts to placate it and a new Thai documentary uses the brutal death of a young Buddhist art teacher to examine why.

"Citizen Juling," shown at the Toronto Film Festival

Continued here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2247480

*** At least 60 teachers have been killed and scores injured in the deep South since 2003. Currently, more than 20,000 teachers and education-related personnel work in the volatile region.

Limbo, in all your posts, u do not mention anything about Muslim extremists, ??. Everyone should download and watch "Obsession the Movie" Wake up non Muslims. :o

Limbo, in all your posts, u do not mention anything about Muslim extremists, ??. Everyone should download and watch "Obsession the Movie" Wake up non Muslims. :o

Yes Mumbojumbo, you are right.

At the time I started this topic I was still officially the moderating animator of this forum and I tried to mold it into a medium serving our local community, with other words a local forum. As such I tried to serve the local expat by informing about all kind of activities taking place in our province and town.

The exhibition at the Chiang Rai Rajabhat University (CRU) was one of these activities.

The exhibition was about Acharn Julin, her work, her background as a daughter of Chiang Rai farmers and at the same time, by the participation of the artists of the 'Chiang Rai Sala', a mark of honour to her.

In line with the spirit of the staff of the Cultural Center of the CRU and the Chiang Rai artists I didn't want to soil the tragical fate of Acharn Julin by using it to start a discussion in which she would be side lined into the role of a victim, even a martyr. I respect her too much for that.

I am sure that when you would have visited the exhibition your strongest feeling would have been one of sorrow, mixed with feeling helpless and confused, and admiration for Juling, not of hate towards those who were not mentioned. The staff of the CRU had avoided to touch the subject and right so they did: the theme of the exhibition was to honour Juling, not to make a political statement.

A discussion about Islam extremism in the south is not directly a theme for a local forum in the north.

Juling died there but grew up here...

When I pass through Doi Luang and I look at these simple wooden farmers houses I can't avoid thinking about Juling as a little girl growing up there. Wished you would have seen the exhibition, it was impressive.

L.