British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

from news reports in Australia coming via BBC the crime scene wasn't contained and was totally contaminated with tourists and media walking all over it along with the police. Apparently a crime scene has still not been established by the BIB. Evidence has been totally destroyed and it is something like a tourist attraction.

Foreign press from the supposed first world countries love to comment on the inefficiencies of supposed third world countries.

That's the difference between first and third world countries, supposedly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from news reports in Australia coming via BBC the crime scene wasn't contained and was totally contaminated with tourists and media walking all over it along with the police. Apparently a crime scene has still not been established by the BIB. Evidence has been totally destroyed and it is something like a tourist attraction.

Foreign press from the supposed first world countries love to comment on the inefficiencies of supposed third world countries.

Every single area they where in leading up to their death on "the night" is a crime scene. You have inner and outer crime scenes and the can extend for kms. They where captured on CTV and that is a crime scene until excluded.

Fine. Why is he better than the Thai authorities? Western news is the best? So much unconfirmed talk on here. Sorry but think western arrogance is taking over an horrendous crime.

I'm not saying he is better than Thai authorities but that he and other Western journalists new to the Island are asking a lot of awkward questions about how the Thai authorities have and are handling this horrific and tragic crime. They also seem to be willing to investigate things that most people on the Island turn a blind eye to due to fear of repercussions either physical or loss of business / income etc and with the World's media and therefore viewers / readers, like it or not this audience will also be watching closely before deciding if they / their kids should visit Thailand any time in the future.

I really hope they get the people responsible for this crime but I think unless locals inc Westerners talk I fear this could be yet another incident that gets forgotten about in the LOS as key aspects of this like the crime scene, forensic evidence and even possible suspects have all been badly handled and that's not even mentioning the damaging remarks about bikinis etc and Facebook pics :-(

Edited by andyIslandMan

I love Thailand as a place, but do you believe this is just some huge conspiracy to get at the Thais and Thailand or do you genuinely accept that things could have been done very poorly?

If this case was in the UK and the investigation was going like this current one the authorities would be getting slaughtered by the media, so it's certainly not just and anti Thailand thing.

I love Thailand as a place, but do you believe this is just some huge conspiracy to get at the Thais and Thailand or do you genuinely accept that things could have been done very poorly?

If this case was in the UK and the investigation was going like this current one the authorities would be getting slaughtered by the media, so it's certainly not just and anti Thailand thing.

Have no more idea about this case than I would about a similar case in UK. I as most have no idea what is actually happening. If you want to use the UK police as an example I could mention the Yorkshire ripper. Pointless to do so really, hindsight is always 20 20.

Have no more idea about this case than I would about a similar case in UK. I as most have no idea what is actually happening. If you want to use the UK police as an example I could mention the Yorkshire ripper. Pointless to do so really, hindsight is always 20 20.

The UK police have had plenty of poor cases over the years. Search Stephen Lawrence for an example, however when it happens they police investigating it get a hard time even prison in some cases.

Do you think the earlier comments of a Thai person couldn't have done this suggests the initial investigation was open minded and balanced? Anyone could've done it, and it appears now they are beginning to admit it, I expect with the more pressure they are feeling.

To me personally it really doesn't matter what the person(s) nationality is, I hope they get caught and banged up for life. However almost excluding Thais initially is beyond belief really.

I thought the Jack/Yorkshire the Ripper thing was some 200 yrs ago. Hard to compare policing of that time to present. Was Sherlock Holmes actually a real person or fictional.

?

Were they not in the UK 1400 hundred children were used in a pedophile ring for 10 years without the police intervened?

• Like 1

Were they not in the UK 1400 hundred children were used in a pedophile ring for 10 years without the police intervened?

Yes, they are getting slaughtered for it all now. What's the difference? They acted poorly, as soon as it came to the public attention they've had to quit, possible criminal proceedings etc.

It's not a case of which one is worse than the other, it's a case of both being bad, or are suggesting that because there was a case of poor policing in the UK that it's acceptable to have poor policing on other cases?

Not excluding anyone. Point was no police force is perfect. They have a hard job to do. Rather them than me. Forum seems to have a lot of bigoted wannabe police.

You seem to be offended by anyone who wants the police to consider any person of any nationality calling them "bigoted wannabe police", yet happy to support a police force who ruled out someone based on a nationality.

There must be sense in there somewhere but I'm struggling to see it.

• Like 1

Not excluding anyone. Point was no police force is perfect. They have a hard job to do. Rather them than me. Forum seems to have a lot of bigoted wannabe police.

You seem to be offended by anyone who wants the police to consider any person of any nationality calling them "bigoted wannabe police", yet happy to support a police force who ruled out someone based on a nationality.

There must be sense in there somewhere but I'm struggling to see it.

Post was directed at the must be an Asian culprit as a Westerner would never do that. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

• Like 1

English girl raped and murdered in 2008 by fishermen

I was on a ship anchored off Koh Samui in 2008, I think that was the year, when an English girl was raped and murdered by two fishermen, who had swum ashore from their boat, which was sheltering from bad weather, the same as our ship was. They raped her then killed her, swam back to their fishing boat and told all the other people on board. Fortunately the skipper radioed the authorities and the culprits were arrested. They were initially given the death sentence and presumably it was going to be carried out, even though they admitted doing it. It was reported at the time that they were to be made an example of by executing them to warn any other people of the consequences of carrrying out such barbaric crimes. I never knew until I researched after this latest double murder, that their sentences were commuted to life imprisonment. Which as from my knowledge of prison in Thailand, through the media, you'd probably be better getting executed. So I was wondering if the police had thought about the possibility that maybe there were fishing vessels just off the island and that some of the crew could of come ashore and been responsible for this outrage? Just a thought!

I was on a ship anchored off Koh Samui in 2008, I think that was the year, when an English girl was raped and murdered by two fishermen, who had swum ashore from their boat, which was sheltering from bad weather, the same as our ship was. They raped her then killed her, swam back to their fishing boat and told all the other people on board. Fortunately the skipper radioed the authorities and the culprits were arrested. They were initially given the death sentence and presumably it was going to be carried out, even though they admitted doing it. It was reported at the time that they were to be made an example of by executing them to warn any other people of the consequences of carrrying out such barbaric crimes. I never knew until I researched after this latest double murder, that their sentences were commuted to life imprisonment. Which as from my knowledge of prison in Thailand, through the media, you'd probably be better getting executed. So I was wondering if the police had thought about the possibility that maybe there were fishing vessels just off the island and that some of the crew could of come ashore and been responsible for this outrage? Just a thought!

Not a nice reminiscence. Execution talk a bit worrying.

You are joking of course! No skipper radioed the authorities. The investigation had to be taken out of the hands of the Samui Police and handed over to a team from Bangkok. Samui police were arresting all and sundry foreigners and Burmese,. The culprits were Thai. They did swim back to their boat and they told other crew what they had done, describing the woman as 'roi' southern Thai abbreviation for 'aroi' - delicious. None of the crew told anyone else about it - until they were confronted by police I suspect in a very forceful way. It simply would not have occurred to them to go to police.

Pathetic to read ignorant farang equating crime in the West to crime in Thailand where the police open an investigation with the statement "No Thai could do this"...

Well done chaps.

And of course the Thai press sitting quietly in the corner as always.

Why? Ignorant farang? Why should ferangs be a point? Paranoia is alive and well here.

LOL!! you truly believe that almost EVERY young thai male will commit rape if he thinks he can get away with it? how DO you guys rationalize living here!!?? lol

I'm Thai, it's my country, why are you here?

because i enjoy it . and unlike you dont despise most young thai males

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Alanrchase

You do realise that all this nationalist uproar began when a senior police officer declared that ' No Thai would do this thing ' It was reported by J Head of the BBC who commented that such a statement does not indicate even handed police work.

By all means defend Thailand when its unfairly tainted but thats not the case here

you seem to be saying that one senior police officer represents the entire police force and speaks for thailand

This won't effect Thailand tourism at all.

Remember the two dead Canadian girls a couple years ago ? That was supposed to be the nail in the cofin for Thai tourism. People will continue to travel here in droves.

Thailand has the beaches, the romance of the 3rd world chaos. People want to come no matter what and they will continue to.

You clearly do not live in a tourist area, if you did you would see the marked decline in WESTERN tourists, while TAT are so busy kissing Chinese ass to plump up the numbers. Everyone with a braincell and their eyes open know that Thailand tourist revenue is suffering badly.

My brother and his wife owns a small hotel on Samui.... He says taking are half what they were 2 years ago and since the last 2 recent stabbings of westerners at the hands of locals, business is dropping month on month.

You talk as though Thailand is the only country in the world that has beaches etc..... there are hundreds of thousands of nice beaches and whores worldwide mate.... Many in places that do not have the same horrendous reputation that Thailand is currently building up at speed.

Western tourist numbers are down more everywhere else. Even within western countries. Atlantic city is on the ropes. Vegas isn't far behind.

These lower numbers are not because of these issues.

Every year, a high profile case like this arises. But the planes keep on coming.

Thailand doesn't have to comply with western politically correct norms. They never have and never will. So if you are worried about your pic being posted if something happens to you then don't come.

Alanrchase

You do realise that all this nationalist uproar began when a senior police officer declared that ' No Thai would do this thing ' It was reported by J Head of the BBC who commented that such a statement does not indicate even handed police work.

By all means defend Thailand when its unfairly tainted but thats not the case here

you seem to be saying that one senior police officer represents the entire police force and speaks for thailand

Lot of confusion here over the difference between Thailand and tourist hotspots seriously tainted by criminal gangs.

So are we living in a third world country? Is crime here somewhat different from the same crime in your home country? To me crime is crime, do not ask where or who was involved. This happened here. Awfull. Nationalities are irrelevant.

But the western media expects forign lands to comply with their politically correct norms. This is Thailand. They have their own norms and they are not about to change them nor should they.

It is also funny that Thailand is a creditor nation that lends money to indebted western states. Thailand would have Better police forces if they quit subsidizing the ones in the west.

Alanrchase

Lot of confusion here over the difference between Thailand and tourist hotspots seriously tainted by criminal gangs.

i'd call it ignorance not confusion

Alanrchase

i'd call it ignorance not confusion

Yes, I'm trying to be diplomatic.