Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

How about just using some common sense and your two legs to run away if the shit hits the fan.

In retreating economies, people who are hungry have nothing to lose, including foreign aliens!

I'm seeing an escalation of violence in Thailand.

Attacks can be sudden and unless you are prepared with basic self defense training with back up of recommended, military pepper spray or an expandable baton you could be killed, or end up in a coma.

My prior military, combat training tells me common sense is be prepared!

It sounds like you have normalcy bias and one day you could experience a wake up event.

12 years for me and never had 1 problem with a thai guy or woman.However knowing basic self defense is worthwhile to know,as a precaution, them farangs are nasty buggers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about don't drink to excess......amazing the high percentage of tragic events (including the most recent one) take place around drugs/druggies/alcohol/alcoholics and the crowds/predators/loose tongues - morals - attitudes - suggestions - situations it/they draw and the late evening/early morning times they take place.....

Keep your wits about you....learn to back away if you sense anything not right - before it becomes really not right.....weapons in a foreign land is probably not a good idea.....

I have had villagers tell me to always keep a machete in the car.....that would lead me to believe they do the same.....

Actually, they probably have guns in the car. Gives people an advantage over a machete from the off...............wink.png

Biggest weapon you can use is your brain, sadly many people thing they need to prove how tough they are and start a fight. Its far better to avoid one even if you win you can get into a world of trouble.. Just imagine you defend yourself hit back the guy falls hits his head on stone and is dead. Good luck with that.

For me the best defensive weapon is my own body as trained in Kickboxing and self defense, we were trained how to handle attackers with weapons, speed is key and having that confidents of knowing how to fight gives a person a kind of oar about them and in return are less likely to get attacked.

I am worried what people might think about my oars.

• Like 1

For me the best defensive weapon is my own body as trained in Kickboxing and self defense, we were trained how to handle attackers with weapons, speed is key and having that confidents of knowing how to fight gives a person a kind of oar about them and in return are less likely to get attacked.

I am worried what people might think about my oars.

May The Oars be with you.

• Like 2

If you are going to carry a weapon, then you have got to be prepared to use it and certainly know what you are doing, otherwise it could end up being used on you. I would certainly not carry a knife or anything like that.

Generally common sense will keep most people out of trouble, but sometimes you might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I spend most of my time these days out of Bangkok, in The East of Thailand, and it is quiet and peaceful and everybody knows everyone in my village.

Good boy mrtoad, you keep hiding away in your little village and the boogeyman will not get you.

If you are going to carry a weapon, then you have got to be prepared to use it and certainly know what you are doing, otherwise it could end up being used on you. I would certainly not carry a knife or anything like that.

Generally common sense will keep most people out of trouble, but sometimes you might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I spend most of my time these days out of Bangkok, in The East of Thailand, and it is quiet and peaceful and everybody knows everyone in my village.

Good boy mrtoad, you keep hiding away in your little village and the boogeyman will not get you.

Wow, what a well thought out and mature post.

Excellent point that first one you raise MrT.

I would like to point out that to become proficient with any weapon a lot of training and constant practice needs to take place. It's one thing to carry a weapon it's another to be able to use it correctly and or retain it when the going gets tough.

Many years ago I struggled with a large man for several minutes when he tried to overpower me and remove my holstered firearm. The struggle was intense and violent and eventually he was subdued and restrained. My extensive firearms retention training most likely saved my life that day. I didn't achieve proficiency and skills associated with that by watching a video or taking a weekend training course.

Any weapon in the hands of an appropriately skilled and trained person is probably a weapon that's going to be turned on him or her.......providing little more than false confidence.

Excellent point that first one you raise MrT.

I would like to point out that to become proficient with any weapon a lot of training and constant practice needs to take place. It's one thing to carry a weapon it's another to be able to use it correctly and or retain it when the going gets tough.

Many years ago I struggled with a large man for several minutes when he tried to overpower me and remove my holstered firearm. The struggle was intense and violent and eventually he was subdued and restrained. My extensive firearms retention training most likely saved my life that day. I didn't achieve proficiency and skills associated with that by watching a video or taking a weekend training course.

Any weapon in the hands of an appropriately skilled and trained person is probably a weapon that's going to be turned on him or her.......providing little more than false confidence.

Agreed and was one of the points always raised in training courses on management of violence and aggression that I attended whilst working in the UK

Don't you mean inappropriately skilled and trained person? Because if you don't what is the point of police and army carrying weapons?

Don't you mean inappropriately skilled and trained person? Because if you don't what is the point of police and army carrying weapons?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant......I'm suspecting a spell check or old aged error. My apologies. :)

Toady, once again I absobloodylutely agree with you.

It is because of my lack of oar training that I carry a banana for self defense against machete wielding pedestrians in Bangkok.

Anybody seen the stun gun that looks like a cigarette lighter, i heard it is quite effective for a few seconds, enough time to get a bottle.thumbsup.gif

Got 'em in Chinatown, along with one that looks like an IPhone.

I bought the basic model just for grins. Every time I press the trigger, it throws out an arc that even scares the crap out of me....

Since I'm told they're illegal, I don't take it out of the house.

Cost a whopping 250 baht (no negotiation), and the battery was charged when I took it out of the case, and still tosses out a scary arc for weeks after I took it off the charger. Build quality is typically junky, but for 250 baht, I'm happy with it.

I'm with MrToad on bladed weapons- lose - lose- tie. If you lose, you get hurt- bad. If you win, go to jail. On the outside chance it scares off your attacker- all's good. I carry a Swiss Army knife on my keyring, but never contemplate pulling it out as a weapon in Thailand.

• Like 1

One should first calculate the probabilities based on clear accurate data before even worrying about this topic.

More than getting hit with a lightning bolt, or a thunder ringing in one's ears.

But, Thailand is one of the safest countries on this planet if you do not go out drinking at night, with a bunch of loons.

People here become aggressive when drinking in the bars, (I have heard from a Kon Thai friend.)

THis is no different from any other place, I suppose,

Don't get drunk in a strange place.

Avoid eye contact in some circumstances.

Above all, don't walk around with a dislike for either Thailand or Thai people, because this will most likely be communicated to others when you least expect it.

I do love being here, and so I am NOT looking for a fight or any sort of physical confrontation.

I have never contemplated carrying a weapon.

The thought of it seems like lunacy to me, unless I were at war with someone or something.

I have NEVER been threatened.

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

But, just but, if, just IF the assaultant can't be reasoned with, even with your brilliant brains, and still attacking you in frenzy...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about don't drink to excess......amazing the high percentage of tragic events (including the most recent one) take place around drugs/druggies/alcohol/alcoholics and the crowds/predators/loose tongues - morals - attitudes - suggestions - situations it/they draw and the late evening/early morning times they take place.....

Keep your wits about you....learn to back away if you sense anything not right - before it becomes really not right.....weapons in a foreign land is probably not a good idea.....

I have had villagers tell me to always keep a machete in the car.....that would lead me to believe they do the same.....

Actually, they probably have guns in the car. Gives people an advantage over a machete from the off...............wink.png

Many Thai's do carry in their car

You can't miss with this weapon, has just about everything you need to do the job right.

click on pic for better view

Seems like a complex weapon. I can just see someone approaching you with a firearm and you reply by pressing the wrong button and your light starts flashing and the knife & fork start clunking together. Somehow you survive the situation by running away carrying all that metal & brikbrak with you.

......later you are approached by a priest holding a bible, you try to activate the weapons light and shoot the priest dead. Again the weapon fails you :P

You can't miss with this weapon, has just about everything you need to do the job right.

Seems like a complex weapon. I can just see someone approaching you with a firearm and you reply by pressing the wrong button and your light starts flashing and the knife & fork start clunking together. Somehow you survive the situation by running away carrying all that metal & brikbrak with you.

......later you are approached by a priest holding a bible, you try to activate the weapons light and shoot the priest dead. Again the weapon fails you

I was kind of wondering if it would hurt when the doctor has to pull it out, after the thugs shove it up....