Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

To the OP, no disrespect intended, but if you have to ask the question, there is no legal and effective weapon. No matter what you use, training is going to be key. (If you had asked, "where can I find a size 14 dooflotchee that I trained on in the SAS?", that's different)

I'm one of those guys, too. No training so no weapons carried with me.

On the other hand, reading the Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok and Samui news, there seem to be about half a dozen common threads that run through most tragic foreigner victim stories. I have correlated the ones that may affect me, and avoid a convergence of those places, times of day and activities. Almost 4 years in, I have never felt threatened once.

The guys telling you to use your brain are giving you the best advice. There is no weapon you can legally carry that will outdo a gang of thugs. (Except that bodyguard idea, but that's out of my price range)

Oh, and I'm fast when I'm scared.

• Like 1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Op, banging your head against the wall I'm afraid. You be better off asking the cat than this clueless bunch who think using their brain and being respectful to the yabba-eating goon who's about to attack them will see them right. lol

This is the best reply on this thread. A clueless bunch of apologists indeed, that will bow, wai, bend over, suck, reverse, grovel, slobber, etc. that say respect the Thais, and you will not have a problem. Wise up

Maybe I don't hang out where you do? That'll be me using my brain...

• Like 1

About two years ago me and my inlaws where invited to a becoming a monk party two of the local village drunks started insulting my then wife and teenage daughter and then descided to have a go at me and my two year old son who i was carrying on my arm but luckely some of the family and locals chased said people down the soi.

OP, read the numerous threads on TVF how to treat dogs when they attack you.

Never show fear, but always show your opponents that he will have a hard time with you.

98% will turn away.

For the other 2% find a stick a stone or any other object and try to attack first.

If all these doesn't work......make sure you have a good hospital insurance.

Good Luck.

Thai dogs are cowards, focus their eyes and they will be afraid.....(Don't try it with a German Shepard or Rottweiler), but on the other side they work well as pack....while 1-2 get your attention others circle around you and try to get your from behind.

We had a dangerous pack in the street, they made problems with everyone....My mother came to visit....had some lovely dog food with her. Since when they saw her they protected her, even when she was without food.

One elderly woman walking with 10 dogs around her which don't let anyone come close to her laugh.png

I've been doing the same for years. Around half a mile from home is a 7/11 surrounded by mutts after dark.

Our Soi and Moo can be intimidating (dangerous even) at night because of the dogs that are ostensibly there to protect each property along the way. Some are of the pitbull variety and not to be toyed with.

On my very first trip home, I bought a couple of warm frankfurters from the 7/11 for no better reason than that I felt sorry for the hungry pooch's outside.

I spent time teaching them to "take-nicely" bits of meat from my hand and talked to them whilst also stroking them (OK, i admit it, I love dogs and spent many years training Alsatians and Border Collies to Competition Trial and Obedience show standards, a few decades ago).

They followed me almost all the way home. Even braving the territorial brutes on the way (within limits).

They now follow me home whether or not I've fed them and recognise me even when I've been away for a year, or more.

Funny thing is, they never follow me into town, only when I'm going home.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit "romantic" but I know what I know and what I know is I've made some good pals there (for the price of a few hot-dogs and a few kind words).

Be nice to the natives and they will be nice to you is my maxim. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

I take exception to your comment having been a body guard for many years without my brains and know how many a person would be dead without this grunt ! you really think a brain isnt needed to look after someone god help us all!

• Like 2

I have an led flashlight that has a strobe mode for defense. You apparently shine it into someone's eyes and they can't come at you. Actually any led light shone into someone's eyes would help in stopping them coming at you. Only at night of course. Many are small and easily carried in a pocket.

• Like 1

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

I take exception to your comment having been a body guard for many years without my brains and know how many a person would be dead without this grunt ! you really think a brain isnt needed to look after someone god help us all!

I think you'll find the "grunts" ARE his brains, where security is concerned.

• Like 1

You probably think that this is a joke..but isn't...

Carry a water gun that looks very real....If the rival had just a knife will run away...if not...shoot water on its face...The surprise will give you time for you to run .......Even guard dogs do not like by sprayed with water...It is a legal "weapon"..... Useful for Sonkrang too!

And...if you will like to be "remember"..load it with toilette cleaner......

Edited by umbanda

You probably think that this is a joke..but isn't...

Carry a water gun that looks very real....If the rival had just a knife will run away...if not...shoot water on its face...The surprise will give you time for you to run .......Even guard dogs do not like by sprayed with water...It is a legal "weapon"..... Useful for Sonkrang too!

And...if you will like to be "remember"..load it with toilette cleaner......

Mistaking Water Pistol for Gun, Police Shoot Brooklyn Youth, 16

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/24/nyregion/mistaking-water-pistol-for-gun-police-shoot-brooklyn-youth-16.html

• Like 2

This will generate some flak.

For one on one I kept a small plastic comb, hid in fist and when someone was threatening I would whip it down a cheek.

This was in the days of open razors and the guy would clap his hand to his cheek in horror and leap back, then up to you, one in the goolies or flee.

"Once armed whose cause is just, Thrice armed who gets his blow in fust" (Barlinnie Jail)

Edited by DisparateDan

Not sure if this is legal: Less than $20 from Amazon-

The VIPERTEK VTS-191 stun gun really packs a punch! Just test firing this unit into the air is often enough to stop an attacker. As the bright electric current pulsates between the test prongs and creates an intimidating electrical sound, an attacker with any sense at all will be stopped in his tracks. If the sight and sound doesn't stop him, a jolt from this stun gun certainly will bring an attacker down! When an attacker is touched by the stun gun it will disrupt the message the brain sends to the voluntary muscles. Simply touching an attacker will deliver a high voltage shock causing loss of balance and muscle control, confusion, and disorientation bringing him to his knees and making him incapable of further aggressive activity.

post-100328-0-49583800-1411105623_thumb.

• Like 1

To answer the OPs question, get a small collapsible baton, then get some training on how to use it... A small baton can be carried in your pocket and extended within a second... In a bad situation, just getting it open, then jumping up and down like Bruce Lee and screaming bloody murder might scare off an attacker... That is unless they sneak up behind you and bash in your head with a rock...

i carry a meat baton in my pants every time I'm out and it regularly gets extended, not a very effective weapon as it often ends getting flogged.

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

How about just using some common sense and your two legs to run away if the shit hits the fan?

Geez do I really have to say that when its SO obvious?

You are writing on a TV forum. Did you really expect something different??