Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

" talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying."

Really?

So I'm unlucky to get involved in an altercation with a Thai (who speaks NO English) and I speak NO Thai.........PLEASE tell me how I am supposed to "talk my way out of the situation"? I would love to know.

If you can't talk to him, it's pretty hard to see how you would get into an altercation in the first place.

Are you serious?

Who said the "altercation' had to be verbal?? Maybe his actions pissed me off or I did something to piss him off.

In that case, two things.

1. Don't do things which are likely to piss people off. In Thailand, that is very easy. Don't act like an &lt;deleted&gt; in public and you'll be left alone so no problems there for any vaguely sentient adults.

2. If someone does something to piss you off then walk away. Since it's guaranteed to be something extremely minor, this should not pose too much of a problem either.

Edited by Zooheekock
  • Like 2

How about don't drink to excess......amazing the high percentage of tragic events (including the most recent one) take place around drugs/druggies/alcohol/alcoholics and the crowds/predators/loose tongues - morals - attitudes - suggestions - situations it/they draw and the late evening/early morning times they take place.....

Keep your wits about you....learn to back away if you sense anything not right - before it becomes really not right.....weapons in a foreign land is probably not a good idea.....

I have had villagers tell me to always keep a machete in the car.....that would lead me to believe they do the same.....

• Like 1

The fact that people raise or even consider the question suggests there's a problem, not to do with personal safety but more to do with personal confidence and attitude. Living in Detroit in the 1970's and NY in the 1980's, I never carried a weapon nor felt the need to; in London during the 1990's the same applied - why then would I even consider the question whilst living in Chiang Mai.

From a discussion in another thread,

The British foreign office seems to believe a British citizen is 17x more likely to be murdered in Thailand, than that same British citizen visiting any other country in the world. (gleaned from the info 10% of all British murdered overseas, are murdered in Thailand, whereas Thailand only accounts for 0.6% of British overseas travel)

• Like 1

The fact that people raise or even consider the question suggests there's a problem, not to do with personal safety but more to do with personal confidence and attitude. Living in Detroit in the 1970's and NY in the 1980's, I never carried a weapon nor felt the need to; in London during the 1990's the same applied - why then would I even consider the question whilst living in Chiang Mai.

The British foreign office seems to believe a British citizen is 17x more likely to be murdered in Thailand, than that same British citizen visiting any other country in the world. (gleaned from the info 10% of all British murdered overseas, are murdered in Thailand, whereas Thailand only accounts for 0.6% of British overseas travel)

Why could that be??????? xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.pngxhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

• Like 1

The OP questions a legal weapon. Assume that we have one. Now what?

Most Thai shop-owners I know have high caliber firearms in the drawer under their cash registers, and lock down their shops behind barred gates after dusk. I've asked them, what if you shoot and kill a bandit? Their answer is it's fine if I gun him down inside my shop, however outside the shop is not OK.

Back to the OP... Having found the ideal lethal/non lethal weapon... what are you going to do with it? ... and then what?

It does not compute.

But that would be significant only if their overseas travel was uniformly distributed across the world.

If, for example, the other 99.4 % traveled only to Sweden, or equally safe countries, you would expect those kind of results. In other words, maybe the vast majority travel only to countries where they are safe.

I recall years ago some Brits were murdered in Florida and the British press referred to the US as a "barbaric society."

So maybe the Brits are a bit sensitive about their own being murdered outside Britain.

I confess I have spent only a little time there. No guns? Don't they just "glass" each other?

Edited by mesquite

But that would be significant only if their overseas travel was uniformly distributed across the world.

If, for example, the other 99.4 % traveled only to Sweden, or equally safe countries, you would expect those kind of results. In other words, maybe the vast majority travel to only countries where they are safe.

I agree with you.

If you are 17x more likely to be murdered in Thailand was widely known by the British.

None of them would visit Thailand, and those tourists would be redistributed around Spain, France, Portugal, etc.

The problem being they don't understand how much more dangerous Thailand really is.

Get a tazer phone case, I use mine on the wife...

I had a tazer, until the switch fell off (Patong crap). However, you'd need to get up pretty close and personal for it to be effective. And certainly wouldn't have helped that poor Swiss woman who was raped and half beaten to death in her bed a couple of years back. What would you recommend for the likes of her? I'd go for an AK47, but have to settle for a large dog or several wink.png

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

How about just using some common sense and your two legs to run away if the shit hits the fan?

Agree, I would love to have a baseball bat strung on my back but it would look daft..........laugh.png

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

How about just using some common sense and your two legs to run away if the shit hits the fan?

Well, I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of reply, but 1st post?

Thanks for stating the VERY obvious! Of course avoiding the situation is best.

I guess I should have made it REALLY clear that the question is about what to use when we are in a situation where we are being physically threatened or assaulted without the opportunity to run. Geez do I really have to say that when its SO obvious?

Yes, you should have stated it in your first post. You might not have noticed it yet, but some ThaiVisa members seem to be quite belligerent (at least while hiding from behind their computer screen) and they would not even consider avoiding confrontation, and believe me, they are quite numerous around here. I have noticed so many times demonstration of 'PC bravery' and read so many stupid advice from some individuals about personal safety in the LOS that I have lost the count, so, that is certainly not that obvious for everyone.

By the way, it seems that pepper spray is illegal in Thailand: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714457-is-pepper-spray-legal/

If, for example, the other 99.4 % traveled only to Sweden, or equally safe countries, you would expect those kind of results. In other words, maybe the vast majority travel to only countries where they are safe.

I agree with you.

If you are 17x more likely to be murdered in Thailand was widely known by the British.

None of them would visit Thailand, and those tourists would be redistributed around Spain, France, Portugal, etc.

The problem being they don't understand how much more dangerous Thailand really is.

the problem is the free and easy bar scene attracts a certain type of tourist who is able to misbehave much more than in he or she is most other countries and as a result these guys get themselves in sticky situations.

Out of necessity, I use a cane. In one sense, that makes me a soft target because I'm perceived as weak; and it's just this thing I have - not openly carrying around an offensive weapon. But they do make very good defensive weapons, if you know how to use them, until you come up against firearms, tactical nuclear weapons, and the like.

I switch off between two canes I own. One is titanium and the other is carbon fibre. Both are strong and lightweight.

At home, I keep an extendable baton hidden in the bedroom and my office room.

I hope that helps to directly answer the OP's question.

• Like 2

As other have said, probably best to try and stay clear of trouble so you would not need a weapon.

Most weapons are probably going to end up being used on yourself by your attacker... really your best off taking care and avoiding any trouble which is really easy to do in Thailand as the people on the whole are pretty friendly. I have been in Thailand some time and never had an argument with a Thai.

Having had this conversation recently with my friend in a bar I would certainly say the knuckle duster is the best defensive weapon as its impossible for an attacker to take it off you but your going to do some damage to your attacker which would probably get you in alot of trouble.

Really, stay out of trouble... smile alot, be pleasant and respectful to everyone and you will have no trouble.

Why does everyone feel the need to state the absolute obvious? If you're not going to answer the OP's question why bother posting?

So to answer the OP's question, it's not just a question of the weapon but also whether you have a legal excuse for carrying it. A huge kitchen knife would be more effective than a little flick knife and anyone can say they were just going to do some cooking at a friend's house or something. Same with a hammer or even a snooker ball in a bag. Any weapon can be taken off you though and used by the other person against you so might not make you any safer.

• Like 1

it happens to quick to retaliate as farangs have been conditioned into believing all thais are harmless and wouldnt hurt a fly . but the roll call of dead tourists and expats over the last 30 years says otherwise.

guns hatchets and large knifes were used

The problem is that alot of things that are legal in other countries for self defense purposes are not legal in Thailand. I do not believe that tasers are legal for civilian use in Thailand, nor do I think pepper spray (I could be wrong about the pepper spray). It should also be noted that (1) some people are genetically immune to pepper spray (like if you spray them, they won't do a thing) and (2) may not work on someone high on drugs like Yabba.

One thing I would throw out is a high lumen flashlight. They can come in very small, pocket friendly size. If you were searched by the BIB it would not be considered a weapon. A flashlight actually has some tactical defensive use. If you notice that when police (in Western countries) stop someone at night they shine a flashlight in the person's face. It is useful to the police not only because it illuminates the suspect so the police can see if they are carrying a weapon or not, but it also temporarily blinds and disorientates them as well making it difficult for them to lunge with a knife or try and aim a firearm.

If attacked at night a powerful flashlight will blind and disorient a potential attacker, as well as draw attention to the scene.

• Like 1

To answer the OPs question, get a small collapsible baton, then get some training on how to use it... A small baton can be carried in your pocket and extended within a second... In a bad situation, just getting it open, then jumping up and down like Bruce Lee and screaming bloody murder might scare off an attacker... That is unless they sneak up behind you and bash in your head with a rock...

• Like 1

To answer the OPs question, get a small collapsible baton, then get some training on how to use it... A small baton can be carried in your pocket and extended within a second... In a bad situation, just getting it open, then jumping up and down like Bruce Lee and screaming bloody murder might scare off an attacker... That is unless they sneak up behind you and bash in your head with a rock...

are they legal?