UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

Why can't he say it himself?

My guess is its not in his skill set after climbing the military ladder to the top.

"...Two of Miller's British friends [...] and several Myanmar migrant workers..." ??? So I have to understand that Thai Police don't even take under consideration possibility that this crime has been done by some Thai citizen criminal ??? coffee1.gif facepalm.gif

Thais may well have been ruled out. This is from the day after:

"One senior officer told the BBC he did not believe a Thai person could have committed such a crime."

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Absolute Bollacks

He does have some valid points.

This remark came I believe after they had eliminated the "foreign" suspects - now that it is possible a Thai may be responsible for this awful killing they will be seeking to "justify" his actions. No amount of skin, not even total nudity, is a justifiable cause for violence. A person who assaults and kills a prostitute is every bit as guilty of crime as the person who murders ANY human being - though I suspect in the politicians minds people are valued differently by race or by occupation. His remarks are highly inappropriate in the current case where the crime does not appear to be sexually motivated.

What I despair of most is not his personal views but the fact that other Thai people will respect such views because they came from a senior politcian. If David Cameron said something like this in the UK I would be 99% certain that his resignation would have followed within a week

• Like 2

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

I tell you what ladies and gentlemen. This is a first.

I have to salute the man. For a Thai he has more humility than the last 20 elected PM's put together.

He said "Sorry".

He did'nt. He had someone do it for him.

• Like 1

I actually think the PM's comments may say more about what he thinks about some Thai men than it does about foreign female tourists wearing bikinis.

Is he saying that Thai men can't be trusted around young attractive western girls in bikinis and therefore, these girls are not safe wearing such attire on the beach in Thailand?

But people come here for the beaches; so maybe he should tell them not to come here at all

My point exactly, he should either forbid wearing bikini's in public altogether or seriously protect the tourists that do, how else do you want to sell a beach holiday to a tropical island ? He is responsible but as most Thais, denies all of it. Very weak for a leader of a country so in need of a strong and honest leader.

"One senior officer told the BBC he did not believe a Thai person could have committed such a crime."

Thai men can be vicious and typically leave a confrontation in order to come back tooled-up and/or in numbers to go as OTT as possible. Surely the example below must have the wrong people in the frame for the good Samaritan who broke up a fight and so they came back to kill him!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/two-thai-men-accused-of-killing-good-samaritan-luke-mitchell-to-stand-trial-for-murder/story-fni0fee2-1227063052635?nk=3c91eac071799f4e492786e3e0417e4b

More publicity of the Land of Shame needs to go around the world as Thailand is a danger to all who have the TAT impression of a peaceful, gentle Buddhist people! Too many teenagers (AND OTHERS) run around with guns and knives and a lack of self control or perspective yet just get a rap on the knuckles and back on the street. At least these two will face Australian justice.

Edited by twix38
  • Like 1

Hilarious.

All this babble on TV about bikinis.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the subject.

(Other than this inept "politician" put his foot in his mouth.)

More to come...

Your Daddy/Savior figure has feet of clay...

You all have been successfully distracted. wai2.gifwai.gif

And not even by design. giggle.gif

Edited by iReason

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I have seen Thai conservatism on walking street in Pattaya and along Jomtien beach and in many other locations around Bangkok.

I have been approached early (ish) evening by men and women showing me graphic, sexual pictures and trying to coax me to go to a "ping pong" show. This is while weaving in and out of hoards of scantily dressed ladyboys along bar fronts strewn with ladies dancing provocatively to try and tempt me into go go bars. All of this in the street open for everyone to see, including the kids, very conservative.

And yet bikinis worn by women on the beach are inappropriate,,, hmmm,,, priorities skewed maybe?

Yes.Yes I find it hard to get my head around this too..

also a few years ago I went to a village party in the grounds of a temple where everybody from around the Area gathered..I truly couldn't believe the Thai dancers/disco.. Not only were

they as good as nothing on their dancing left nothing to the imagination....sexually provocative...I was just recently in a restaurant in Lamphun and coyote dancers turned up..This is a conservative

area and these girls also had virtually nothing on and were very sexual so the General's comments are out of order to say the least....

This is such a sad case and one I'm not sure is going to be solved with the apparent lack from the outset to look at the possibility of a Thai doing this

• Like 1

Hilarious.

All this babble on TV about bikinis.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the subject.

(Other than this inept "politician" put his foot in his mouth.)

More to come...

You all have been successfully distracted. wai2.gifwai.gif

And not even by design. giggle.gif

Outta likes. Whole thing's a disgrace.

• Like 2

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

LOL, you make my day!!! You have no clue about Thai traditions... Thai and asia is much more complicated as it appears hahaha

Edited by GertrudeL

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

Yes Like I saw Thais on a Beach in Hau Hin Fully Dressed in 38 Deg Heat and in the Water, some even had a Tie on, come on this is the 21st Century < Please get Real, being respectful is one thing but this is over the top!!

Hmmmm..the Generals comments are not surprising at all.

The Thais are the masters at deflecting responsibility onto the victims rather than the perpetrators.

His comments would be akin to saying: Oh look that Thai person is driving a Mercedes Benz SL 600 ..they must have obtained it through corruption and graft.

Hmmmm..the Generals comments are not surprising at all.

The Thais are the masters at deflecting responsibility onto the victims rather than the perpetrators.

His comments would be akin to saying: Oh look that Thai person is driving a Mercedes Benz SL 600 ..they must have obtained it through corruption and graft.

Hmmmm... you do know said General has apologised for his remarks, which is the suprising thing .

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayut -- who is also prime minister -- told government officials.

i allready in this forum made a post before (in relation with this case) saying exactly the same.....that thais are very conservative and sex matters for this population, still is a real taboo.....could you imagine drunk thai men or other asiatic watching this couple having sex on the beach......this could be a reason why they have been both murded so badly.....hope police with the DNA find all culprit anyway.

people on holiday often forget that in a foreign country they are not at home and that even if they pay the price, there is some rulles to follow, and a respectfull atitude to show acording to the beleiving of the people and the place they are visiting.

often alcool or drug or both make them forget all that.

UK government can say what they want....i bet them to go in bikini or in top less in a saudi arabia beach for example...!

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayut -- who is also prime minister -- told government officials.

i allready in this forum made a post before (in relation with this case) saying exactly the same.....that thais are very conservative and sex matters for this population, still is a real taboo.....could you imagine drunk thai men or other asiatic watching this couple having sex on the beach......this could be a reason why they have been both murded so badly.....hope police with the DNA find all culprit anyway.

people on holiday often forget that in a foreign country they are not at home and that even if they pay the price, there is some rulles to follow, and a respectfull atitude to show acording to the beleiving of the people and the place they are visiting.

often alcool or drug or both make them forget all that.

UK government can say what they want....i bet them to go in bikini or in top less in a saudi arabia beach for example...!

coffee1.gif

It has been said already.

They were not in the public. It was in the middle of the night. Nobody expected to be there.

(Mistake because they were not prepared to drunk and/ or criminal thugs or revengeful thugs sneaking on them)

They were not naked, they were stripped off their clothes by the thugs.

Get this into your head

One day i was up north in Chiang Rai with my wife and we rented a longtailboat with a captain. We went up the river to the longneck people and some springs. We passed several local village along the river and there was one girl have a bath in the water. She was naked and didn't care at all that a boat with us was approaching. My wife told me not to look because it would be inappropriate. I thought: she could also take her sarong off after the boat had passed but she didn't.

So it seems normal to be naked for those tribes but not for the rest of Thailand?

Anyway, if i was a young girl i wouldn't come to Thailand at all. It is not safe here unless you are an overweighted old lady. The junta-leader even said so.

All these people putting up pictures of dancers and the such, is that often they are up on pedestals outside the reach of grubby horny blokes. It is just pathetic tittilation. Hence partly why, these feral blokes can't control themselves when they have an opportunity to actually come into contact with real women.

The role and imagery of women in Thailand is a study in itself.

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has apologised for suggesting that tourists in bikinis were vulnerable to attack - unless they were unattractive.

His comments came just days after two British holidaymakers were murdered on a beach on the island of Koh Tao.

Gen Prayuth was quoted as telling officials: "Can they be safe in bikinis ... unless they are not beautiful?"

The comments sparked outrage and the British embassy said it had contacted officials to seek clarification.

"I'm sorry that it hurt people," Gen Prayuth said at a press conference on Thursday. - SOURCE BBC

haha oh wow, he was really screwed things up this time, tourism can now almost be predicted to be lowest it has been for many years in the coming future.

post-216306-0-45905200-1411050331.jpg

Edited by monk213

Some of the comments on here are disgusting. If a man cannot control himself around women he is the one with the problem. To say that women should cover themselves is antiquated and sexist and reminds me of years ago when female rape victims were made to feel like it was their fault. No ones fault but the perpetrator

but sorry some men for whatever reason can't control themselves very well and many think a girl scantily dressed is sending an invitation. I recall 40 or so years ago i wasp na beach in south france with my first wife and a super model type girl wearing nothing walked whole length of beech. Of course i did not go and rape her but I could not help looking even staring at her all time. My then wife hit me and to this day ill still say well she

invited me to stare at her.

So its not appropriate or sensible to dress scantily and fairly stupid to do so in any isolated place. Of course n a Gogo bar its safe for girls as they are in public place but are you really suggesting it would be sensible for them to do that outside their work place.

Right or wrong and i agree its not girls fault if she's raped but its plain silly to provoke such an action from some men in knowledge that their are a lot of men around who rightly or wrongly and especially if on drugs or drunk will try and so should not be encouraged or have their desires ramped up even more.

I have lived and worked on beaches all my life and still do, but I just can not understand why the way a lady/girl dresses should affect the way a man /person looks /reacts to her.She should be able to wear a bikini on the beach even at night if she wants to.

As you say all you wanted was to look.Unfortunately there are sick animals out there who can not control themselves.

exactly my point so silly for gils to wear such scanty dress and anyway inappropriate here and not liked by most thais. ITs seen as rude and low class to say least