Koh Tao islanders offer reward for clues on Brit tourist killers: Update

webfact

Thai islanders offer reward for clues on Brit tourist killers

BANGKOK, September 19, 2014 (AFP) - Residents on the Thai island where two British tourists were brutally murdered have pooled their funds into a reward for clues about the killers, an official said Friday, as police hunted for fresh leads.

The search for suspects continued on the southern diving island of Koh Tao after David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found naked and beaten to death near a beachside bungalow early Monday.

The police investigation appeared to have stalled after post-mortem examinations of the victims' bodies in Bangkok failed to find DNA links to key suspects questioned so far.

"At this point we offer 50,000 baht ($1,500) for anyone who can provide clues which lead to the arrest of a suspect," Koh Tao mayor Chaiyan Turasakul told AFP. "The money comes from donations from the people of Koh Tao."

The murders have rocked the normally laid-back island and landed a new blow to Thailand's image as a tourist haven, battered by months of political protests that ended in May's army coup.

Several dozen Koh Tao residents held a religious ceremony to offer prayers for the dead on Thursday, Chaiyan said, with many more assisting police in the search.

On Friday regional police commander Panya Maman said around 160 officers were hunting for clues on the small island, which neighbours the more-visited Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand.

"I have deployed police in nearby islands as well as on the mainland," he said.

With no arrests and an apparent lack of new leads, it is unclear where the police investigation can turn.

Earlier this week comments by Thailand's military ruler Prayut Chan-O-Cha, suggesting tourists in bikinis could be more vulnerable to attack, triggered an international outcry, leading the premier to apologise.

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayut said in off-the-cuff remarks to government officials, two days after the murder of the British pair.

But "can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?"

On Thursday, in a rare public moment of contrition from the army chief, Prayut said he was "sorry" his remarks hurt people.

According to an official source, Prayut will Friday send letters to the British prime minister and the families of the two victims offering his condolences over the deaths and explaining his recent comments.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-09-19

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday regional police commander Panya Maman said around 160 officers were hunting for clues on the small island......

Disturbing of course every schred of evidence or clue .....

crazy.gif saai.gif

Edited by Patje

The PM lost the chance to showing off......The islanders gave him a lesson. Good for them!

If the criminals were a gang of poor laborers, and just a witness or "confident" still on the island....this move may work....Wll see.

If the criminal was a lone individual.....and already is out of the island.....already is out of the country too.....

Why aren't the powerful local families offering up millions in reward money? 50,000 Baht is an insult.

Why should they? Would you?

Maybe you should read a little about Koh Tao. A collection of families making enormous sums of money from tourism. Now your little island paradise is the subject of terrible news around the world. So aside from the fact that it's the right thing to do, would I pony up a large reward to protect my interests? Yes.

The government should be slamming 2 million baht down on the table shown all over national TV someone will talk then.

Agree. If the major Koh Tao business owners (mafia) won't do it, then Dear Leader should.

Send in quietly a Few SAS guys from UK to meet and greet the locals at AC bar if the Thais don't sort them out-

Quietly Take care of business and square things up….

Are you <deleted> serious? Another c-unt without a conscience!

Simple question. If it happened in your suburb, town, village, whatever, would you put up a reward? I don't think you would. And if you did, why would you? Are you taking responsibility for the attack? Do you feel guilt? Do you have a guilty conscience... as you so elegantly put it? Do you want others to perceive a different side of you? Why would they offer a reward? Normally that is the domain of the state. So you can go shag yourself too you dimwit... I'm sorry if my perceptions seem to be a little too deep for you, I will try to keep it in simplistic terms for you.

OK, I'll play.

Firstly, as a human WITH a moral compass, yes I would want to make a difference and If my money could, then absolutely. Why would I? Well, simply because some evil bastard has murdered two young innocent people and they need to be caught ASAP!

Secondly, 'why would they offer a reward'? Because of the above? Because they give a shit when visitors to their island are slaughtered and raped? Because it will adversely affect their business? Because they have a family of their own and feel the devastation? Because their country has been shamed? Should I go on?

As for wanting others to perceive a different side: no idea what you are talking about there? I wouldn't give a toss what others think tbh! Last thing on my mind.

Oh, and dude, there is no depth in you at all so don't worry about that! I get you completely!

Yeah yeah "if I won the lottery and had billions of dollars I'd do this and that"... if you feel so strongly about it surely there is more you could do? Why don't you raise money amongst your family and friends to help bring the villains to justice. Or setup a petition? Bet you have already! You are foolish, because you interpreted my comments in a way that you think I don't give a $hit, and I do... I just have doubts about this type of bounty. Then you turn it into an idiotic slogging match...

Edited by mojorison
  • Like 1

Why aren't the powerful local families offering up millions in reward money? 50,000 Baht is an insult.

Maybe you should read a little about Koh Tao. A collection of families making enormous sums of money from tourism. Now your little island paradise is the subject of terrible news around the world. So aside from the fact that it's the right thing to do, would I pony up a large reward to protect my interests? Yes.

Mojorison . . . Although we disagree on some aspects of what may or may not be happening on Kho Tao right now, you seem to have some knowledge that contributes to the debate--which is a worthwhile discussion of Thailand culture, farangs in Thailand, etc. despite the fact that we are all speculating regarding the murder at this point.

But you should at least be consistent in your arguments.

On another thread you said this:

"The local owners, whilst capable of doing bad things and getting away with "murder"... this is not the type of crime that we are talking about. They generally don't hang out in their own bars getting high and bludgeoning and raping customers. I know these people, the bar and resort owners, and they are far removed from the slime that work in their bars and resorts. Regarding getting away with crime, this is exactly the kind of case where justice will need to have been seen.... from a local and international standpoint."

The strong implication I take from these statements is that you believe the local land and business owners do really want the culprit caught, even if the murderer(s) are Thai.

If this is true, then of course the local business and landowners should be interested in putting up a substantial reward, because they as you say have a lot to gain (rather than to lose, as I believe--assuming the murderer is Thai) from the killer's capture.

And no, it is not the sole domain of the state to post a reward. It is very common for someone close to a victim or with a vested interest to put up a reward.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 1

Yeah, and 50,000 is on the money right? It is a token. It is not even one quarter of the bar take on a good night. What is wrong with you people, can you really be so naive?

Mojorison . . . Although we disagree on some aspects of what may or may not be happening on Kho Tao right now, you seem to have some knowledge that contributes to the debate--which is a worthwhile discussion of Thailand culture, farangs in Thailand, etc. despite the fact that we are all speculating regarding the murder at this point.

But you should at least be consistent in your arguments.

On another thread you said this:

"The local owners, whilst capable of doing bad things and getting away with "murder"... this is not the type of crime that we are talking about. They generally don't hang out in their own bars getting high and bludgeoning and raping customers. I know these people, the bar and resort owners, and they are far removed from the slime that work in their bars and resorts. Regarding getting away with crime, this is exactly the kind of case where justice will need to have been seen.... from a local and international standpoint."

The strong implication I take from these statements is that you believe the local land and business owners do really want the culprit caught, even if the murderer(s) are Thai.

If this is true, then of course the local business and landowners should be interested in putting up a substantial reward, because they as you say have a lot to gain (rather than to lose, as I believe--assuming the murderer is Thai) from the killer's capture.

And no, it is not the sole domain of the state to post a reward. It is very common for someone close to a victim or with a vested interest to put up a reward.

What I wrote there is in line with my views. I support Thais often through thick and Thin... but I know what this "reward" is... it is a token of regret. Almost like Tum Boon. It is not going to be the definitive part of the puzzle that nabs the killers. It is a gesture by someone who feels that there is an expectation on them to take some ownership, show some sorrow, help get the baddies, help get their business back in line.It is purely token, and to call it otherwise is wrong. Add a zero or 2 then it is real. And does offering it help, or does it cloud the situation even further? I'm just asking the questions.

If I were a powerful local family with multiple tourist dependent business interests ? oh yea you bet I would be offering millions, its a business investment as much as anything else.

Its good business to protect your business.

Millions maybe... 50 thousand?? Token.