Security and crime fighting centre to open next week

Lite Beer

Security and crime fighting centre to open next week
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A national centre to integrate internal security and crime-fighting involving various ministries and authorities will start next week to cope with clear and present threats, a Defence Ministry spokesman said yesterday.

Colonel Khongcheep Tantrawanich admitted that the move had stemmed partly from the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao off Surat Thani coast last Sunday.

The centre would pool personnel and equipment from various agencies under supervision of the Defence Ministry and directed by Minister Prawit Wongsuwan. It will operate around the clock and commence operating the next week, while undergoing evaluation every three months.

The centre's crime-fighting functions will be performed by the Royal Thai Police, while social issues and humanitarian duties would be under the Damrongdharma Centres, overseen by the Interior Ministry.

Other key issues that the centre will deal with are immigration service and prevention of illegal entry, narcotics suppression, preserving public service duties through good governance at government agencies.

Surveillance cameras will be installed at 283 locations across the country in two months' time, and later at several other sites, which would extensively cover tourist and business areas.

The spokesman said the centre was anticipating cooperation from the public in giving tip-offs for impending crimes and looking out for incidents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Security-and-crime-fighting-centre-to-open-next-we-30243702.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-20

This would be great if they can employ incorruptible officers to do the work.

Pay them extra to be above the odd bribe with the addition of severe jail time for anyone caught taking a back-hander or tampering with evidence.

Plus educate the officers in how to handle crime scenes.

I feel the idea(s) are good. I hope the implementation is great.

This would be great if they can employ incorruptible officers to do the work.

Pay them extra to be above the odd bribe with the addition of severe jail time for anyone caught taking a back-hander or tampering with evidence.

Plus educate the officers in how to handle crime scenes.

I feel the idea(s) are good. I hope the implementation is great.

I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly but reading it again,I cannot help but think that this is just another load of BS perfectly timed to gain support to save face. What does the Colonel mean by "clear and present threats?" Is this any vague reference to the murder on Koh Tao? Strange phrasing! This new venture will "START NEXT WEEK" Really.All the organizing and any special training will take only one week.He has already made ref to the Koh Tao murder and so far that has also taken A WEEK !!! And so far the police have NOTHING!!! The insignificant number if CCTV cameras will however take 2MONTHS. OK lets now put all this together and see what we come up with. I think you get the picture!!!

Surveillance cameras will be installed at 283 locations across the country in two months' time, and later at several other sites, which would extensively cover tourist and business areas.

coffee1.gif

They tried this in Pattaya a few years ago. Epic failure. I believe it was this year when they reported something like 80% of them were not longer working.

Not to mention, 283 across the entire country? They could use 283 in Phuket alone and not even scratch the surface of what is needed.

coffee1.gif

They tried this in Pattaya a few years ago. Epic failure. I believe it was this year when they reported something like 80% of them were not longer working.

Not to mention, 283 across the entire country? They could use 283 in Phuket alone and not even scratch the surface of what is needed.

I'm worried about the "of what is needed". It's almost as if you would agree big brother needs watching us. One may wonder how far one should go with this surveillance cameras.