Buying bulk clothes items for re sale

Hi Guys

We are strongly considering moving out of Thailand to Spain and opening a type of clothes/fashion shop.

Selling, Thai fashion for Lady's, Men, children and dress jewellery, child's dress shoes, ladies belts etc, etc.

We live up in Khon Kaen and go to lot of Patenam Wholesale markets.

Does any one know where we can buy this stuff in General where the market traders buy.

The market traders will not tell you.

Thanks your help.

shaurene

Most brand name clothing items bought in the west say made in Vietnam or Indonesia or Turkey now that didn't take long to figure out most brand name clothing manufacturers upped and left Thailand long ago.

Concerning Thai style fashion most Thais like western style clothing.

A lot comes from Platinum shop holders who make the stuff elsewhere. As in the BIL, but as he's a (will be deleted) I don't talk to him.

Cousins of the wife sell in Platinum as well, stuff they buy in bulk in factories. Factories sell bags off of the stuff , you can't look first apparently, IIRC. Some stuff is rubbish some stuff is good. Gap, next are some of them. Think Amata Nakorn is where they get them.

Cambodian markets, used to be good, but now they put a bunch of good clothes on the top, the bottom of the bag full of rubbish, not a good source. Platunam markets all have shops there advertising factory quantity deals, take your time wondering around there.

this is a wrong business for you if you have to ask us where to buy from. You should know exactly in which part of the world you get the best and cheapest items. I know many who live in Dubai but they manufacture in other country, many business from Shrilanka , China, India, Turkey etc. Even in Cambodia the best clothes they were selling was made in Thailand. So do your homework well before getting involved in it.

Decide your quality level, know your customer. Forget the instinct to buy on price alone, go for quality every time.

If you are only buying for one small retail outlet, you wont get the lowest of prices anyway, but you can maintain your stock quality and style.

Nothing beats getting to know the factories or more likely, the wholesalers of your main lines.

Always start with a small order, MOQs stated by the wholesalers are usually negotiable.

You may even find a good wholesaler in Spain or elsewhere in EU, who has done all the importing/Customs/stock holding part of the business, allowing you to concentrate on the Selling. Dont ignore how much of a hassle the importing side of the job can be for 'small' traders.

BoBae market in BKK has Thailand's biggest selection of stock of low to mid-range clothing. Some is locally produced, but much of it is imported.

Good Luck !

I can't offer specific help, but I have done a LOT of business in my 66 years, and part of the time I was making clothing in Asia.

One VERY big deal is that brand names, like say Calvin Cline, etc. etc.

At the end of the season, all inventory in factories sitting in Asia have the labels cut out and the stuff gets sold REALLY cheap.

Savvy buyers will know the brand anyway.

Also, my suggestion, based on experience is this-

Buy AT the source and set up a system where you could sell to other shops in whatever country you go to.

If you buy at the right price you could find that you make a lot more profit from wholesale.

Buy for a $, set your own retail price at $5 or more.

Offer stuff for wholesale at $2.50

This is a tried and true pricing plan.

Like that.

If you really want Thai fashion (and I am not sure how much this actually exists), then go and speak to Thai designers and or distributors and ask them what they do with excess inventory.

There IS a lot of unique Japanese fashion (I worked there for 30 years) but most of the sizes will be smaller than the average European woman. Same with sizes in Thailand.

You should keep as little inventory as possible, while not running out.

You need to be certain that you are not getting "damaged" goods, BUT at the other end, top brands will cull items that have very small imperfections that they are willing to sell at a big discount.

And in such cases the "damage" is usually marked with a pin or something.

That is my 2Baht!

Bobe, Pratunam and Chatuchak are the main areas… do an internet search for specific items and manufacturers… Thailand is a bit pricey. Maybe equally important will be to find the regulations you might face in Spain as to duty, customs brokers needed or not? I would say that whatever you buy here, figure an additional 30-40% to land it in Spain… then start adding your expenses from there.

Bobe, Pratunam and Chatuchak are the main areas do an internet search for specific items and manufacturers Thailand is a bit pricey. Maybe equally important will be to find the regulations you might face in Spain as to duty, customs brokers needed or not? I would say that whatever you buy here, figure an additional 30-40% to land it in Spain then start adding your expenses from there.

Ye thanks, have done all that, have the duties, tax's and all, went their 1month ago and did it all.

this is a wrong business for you if you have to ask us where to buy from. You should know exactly in which part of the world you get the best and cheapest items. I know many who live in Dubai but they manufacture in other country, many business from Shrilanka , China, India, Turkey etc. Even in Cambodia the best clothes they were selling was made in Thailand. So do your homework well before getting involved in it.

Mr Faroukh

I was asking where to buy what the markets sellers buy from, I am not looking for top brand stuff, I want to hit the Holliday people there coming from Europe etc for a few weeks Holliday. Pity you cannot just answer a specific question.

Most brand name clothing items bought in the west say made in Vietnam or Indonesia or Turkey now that didn't take long to figure out most brand name clothing manufacturers upped and left Thailand long ago.

Concerning Thai style fashion most Thais like western style clothing.

Kugel, I never mentioned brand name clothes, I am looking at the type we buy in the markets, men's shorts, tops and light cool shirts and jeans, ladies jeans, shorts, tops, belts and cheap dress jewlery,

As mentioned already, pratunam and bobae markets are best - pratunam for high fashion and bobae for childrens clothes. You can get cheaper in China, but they require you to buy 100s/1000s in one style to get the best price. The advantage of buying in Thailand is that most stores only require you to buy 3 piece to get wholesale price, so you can buy a variety of styles from numerous stores, which is perfect for small retailers.

Once you found the styles that sell well, most stores have their own factories and can make-to-order for you. Minimum pieces for made-to-order is usually between 50 and 100 pieces, which is much better than the Chinese manufacturers. Many stores can send to you abroad - you just have to pay shipping - as there are many freight companies dotted around both markets. In pratunam, there two large freight companies at the back of platinum mall - just follow the car park entrance.

My wife and her whole family sell clothes from Pratunam and are friends with many shop owners. Most of the stuff there is made from local factories (sweatshops), you can custom order what you want but you have to use the whole bolt of fabric, usually around 60 dresses I believe. It seems a run normally takes around 3-5 days. A lot of wholesalers are now ordering from China because they can get the clothes cheaper, but obviously takes longer. Try to talk to some of the smaller shop owners, many of them will be happy to act as a middleman for a few baht per piece.

Mr Faroukh

I was asking where to buy what the markets sellers buy from, I am not looking for top brand stuff, I want to hit the Holliday people there coming from Europe etc for a few weeks Holliday. Pity you cannot just answer a specific question.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it.

• Like 1

Mr Faroukh

They all buy in the big Cambodia markets down south, just over the border.

Denim shorts 20bht/pair, sold in bulk in the big zippy stripe bags.

My gf used to do it, bus from CM to BK, bus from BK to the border.

Buy 3 zippy bags full, back to CM, then sell them for 50bht/pair in the Sunday market.

This one I think, Rong Glua (Rong Klua)

http://tielandtothailand.com/rong-kluea-market-sa-kaeo-thailand/

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have bought some shirts, polo shirts and pants in Mae Sod. It's a fctory outlet with brands like Oakley and Camel sports wear. It is on of the few places I have found clothes that fits my 192cm and 150kg body... And that to a bargain price compared with Bangkok and back home. Camel pants 700 Baht in Mae Sod, 4000 Baht in Bangkok and back home in Europe I found the same for equal to 7500 Baht!

I have bought some shirts, polo shirts and pants in Mae Sod. It's a fctory outlet with brands like Oakley and Camel sports wear. It is on of the few places I have found clothes that fits my 192cm and 150kg body... And that to a bargain price compared with Bangkok and back home. Camel pants 700 Baht in Mae Sod, 4000 Baht in Bangkok and back home in Europe I found the same for equal to 7500 Baht!

Fakes bought from that same Cambodian market for 70bht a time (or less).

Fakes bought from that same Cambodian market for 70bht a time (or less).
I'm not sure we are talking about the same place, this is not at the place where you can by a second hand bike for 500-1000 Baht, this is at the factory where they make the clothes...

I have tried some fakes too, but it's not the same quality. Compared Oakley sport polo shirts, 299 for the original and 50 for the fake once... I can still use the originals after 3 years and the last copy I bought I had to throw away after the third wash! But I bought some fake branded T-shirts for 50 Baht that was even better quality than the originals sold for 1500 Baht in Bangkok.

What you propose is a good idea, I did it for several years importing a container full of product every year, clothing wood products anything I could retail in UK, I made a few errors along the way but finished making a pile of money. What you are asking cannot be answered here, you need tons of information, customs in Europe how to ship your goods , point of sale in Europe , where to buy here. If you are serious and have the funds to do this more than half assed I will be happy to help you. Main problem is Thai sizes are not eu sizes and so it goes . Pm me if interested.

Check the Internet for Thai Clothing Factory. I know of one around Udon Thani but can't remember the name. You can choose your designs from there selection or give them your own design and they will make it for you. You need to buy in bulk but the quantity was not too much.

I can't vouch for the quality or service as I did not deal with them but at least you can go to the Factory and check it out for yourself.

Before you start you must know you are just another link in the factory vender chain controled by their # 1 wholesale customer.I found it impossible to buy direct from any factory in China.All you produce,I will purchase contracts are common.In every factory the #1 buyer has production count people on the floor counting & pushing and recording. these people work for the buyer. There is no out the back door goods in Asia, everything accounted for or someone has a accident.