Buying bulk clothes items for re sale

I can't offer specific help, but I have done a LOT of business in my 66 years, and part of the time I was making clothing in Asia.

One VERY big deal is that brand names, like say Calvin Cline, etc. etc.

66 years in the business and still don't know how they spell Calvin Klein ?

Come on roll out the advice, we're all listening.

Thats because they spell it different here when there counterfeit

• Like 1

Before you start you must know you are just another link in the factory vender chain controled by their # 1 wholesale customer.I found it impossible to buy direct from any factory in China.All you produce,I will purchase contracts are common.In every factory the #1 buyer has production count people on the floor counting & pushing and recording. these people work for the buyer. There is no out the back door goods in Asia, everything accounted for or someone has a accident.

There is no out the back door goods in Asia,

How about there is more out of the back door than there is out of the front door?

• Like 1

where is a good place to find Hawaiian type print western men's shirts ?

or the material to have some sewn ?

flowers prints , cars , surf designs

I have looked at BoeBae etc but must have missed them !

Also a place to computer embroider a name on them

thanks

Edited by BKKdreaming

where is a good place to find Hawaiian type print western men's shirts ?

or the material to have some sewn ?

flowers prints , cars , surf designs

I have looked at BoeBae etc but must have missed them !

Also a place to computer embroider a name on them

thanks

Wait until Songhan

dbrown, .... in your mind it works that way. in fact, the factory does not care,the only ones that do care the the production count thugs running the show for the buyer.if you are lucky to get a contract you must supply your own count thugs or your bundles are shorted.the same thing is done in the "west" consultant / thug same thing. :-)

Three major problems (among many more) run into by a friend who tried the same thing:

Consistent supply of a particular style. Most clothes are made in runs here and never replicated again.

Mislabeled material. "100% cotton" never was.

Size consistency: Sizes were all over the place even within a specific run. Larger sizes needed for western customers always smaller than labeled.

• Like 1

I can't offer specific help, but I have done a LOT of business in my 66 years, and part of the time I was making clothing in Asia.

One VERY big deal is that brand names, like say Calvin Cline, etc. etc.

At the end of the season, all inventory in factories sitting in Asia have the labels cut out and the stuff gets sold REALLY cheap.

Savvy buyers will know the brand anyway.

Also, my suggestion, based on experience is this-

Buy AT the source and set up a system where you could sell to other shops in whatever country you go to.

If you buy at the right price you could find that you make a lot more profit from wholesale.

Buy for a $, set your own retail price at $5 or more.

Offer stuff for wholesale at $2.50

This is a tried and true pricing plan.

Like that.

If you really want Thai fashion (and I am not sure how much this actually exists), then go and speak to Thai designers and or distributors and ask them what they do with excess inventory.

There IS a lot of unique Japanese fashion (I worked there for 30 years) but most of the sizes will be smaller than the average European woman. Same with sizes in Thailand.

You should keep as little inventory as possible, while not running out.

You need to be certain that you are not getting "damaged" goods, BUT at the other end, top brands will cull items that have very small imperfections that they are willing to sell at a big discount.

And in such cases the "damage" is usually marked with a pin or something.

That is my 2Baht!

How experienced do you need to be to move up to Calvin Klein goods?

The business the original person asked about can be a lot of fun, and in my experience it takes a LOT of leg work.

I spent a lot of time in Nepal and India, and eventually built a small factory in Nepal.

But initially when looking for production units I visited a lot of factories, workrooms, etc

I found out that a lot of brand name goods are made in sweat shops and usually the quality of the sewing is not good.

By going here there and everywhere I bumped into many brand name goods being made. It was all more or less by accident.

I haven't done business in China for quite a while, but when I was there I found that it was not uncommon for a LOT of goods to go out the back door.

One thing that used to happen was the workers were getting paid to work six days a week. They came in on the seventh day and produced the very same goods, and it all went out the back door. It used to be VERY common.

d brown, you do need to get out more. your way of thinking tells me more than i want to know about you. :-)

Well, what you probably don't know of me then is that 20 years ago I was shipping containers of garments from Thailand to Europe.

I could teach you something about the garment industry in Thailand.

I once shipped a container full of Camel clothing to Europe, at that time Camel was produced in Germany, and shipped to Thailand. You think it came out through the front door ? laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edit : Oh, and before you start thinking bad things, the Camel wasn't stolen or counterfeit, I bought them straight from Camel Thailand.

Edited by dBrown

My daughter went to university to learn fashion design. There they learned about price points, quality of the material, quality of craftsmanship, marketing etc. It is hard for the graduates to make a living in the fashion market. I once knew a kid who bought a swimming suit. He believed a swimming suit could make you swim. He jumped straight into the deep end.

Then again I know of a lady who really knew nothing about fashion. She went around the world taking pictures of fashions that appealed to her tastes and then modifying the fashion. She finally hired fashion designers. The 4 designers agreed that the clothes for sale looked like hooker clothes. They changed the lines. Her many stores have gone upscale and expanded.

That lady was worth millions before she hired the fashion designers but she is worth 10 of millions now.