Apology was good, but rape is a big problem in Thai society

Lite Beer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rape is disgusting wherever it happens but is downplayed in the so called ' conservative ' societies with all sorts of spurious reasons produced such as women bring in on themselves by dressing provocatively.

Let's not forget too that in some countries women alleging rape face being charged with adultery.

• Like 2

Whats not being viewed here is the Rape and sexual assault figures on non residents of that country -

EG Tourists .

Most rapes in rural Thailand are never even reported similar to places Like India.

Sexual assault on visitors remains high in both countries mentioned.

As such travel warnings ask woman to be aware of this.

Especially , on coastal beaches or roads after dark.

And accepting drinks in bars from any men (especially Thai males )

In the period 2011-2012 there were over 51000 sexual assaults reported in Australia. That figure does not include those under the age of 18. Given that Australia's population is one third that of Thailand those figures are somewhat alarming. That's a sexual assault every ten minutes.

You're comparing apples to oranges. When you know how many of those sexual assaults were actual rape, get back to us.......

All rapes are sexual assault, but, not all sexual assaults are rape.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

"Prayuth was questioning the safety of foreign tourists in the country. He suggested that there was a price to pay should one choose to dress a certain way."

He can't have it both ways. TAT uses bikini clad women to induce tourists to visit Thai beaches and then Prayuth says: "Yes come to Thailand and enjoy our beaches at your own peril." I would say he is two faced on this one, but it appears he has lost both of his faces.

Edited by jaltsc

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

An alternative and more thoughtful headline might have been - Apology Essential But Misses The Whole Point.

Yeah, some ne used his/hers silk cloth for this report. should have said " Bikini comment was totally out of line"

Sometimes I wonder if the people who make these charts have an agenda, or maybe a different definition. In the NationMaster info, it shows the US, Australia and the UK about the same. But the red graph doesn't even show OZ or UK, that I can see.

Back to the topic, rape is a horrible thing that scars a woman mentally for life. The perps should be permanently off the streets however a country chooses because they have really messed up minds.

You all are comparing the wrong things. Every country can quote its rape statistics. No one here has looked at the real problem. The mentality of a Thai man that made the leader of this country make such a comment initially. This attitude is rampant amongst the Thai man. Sure the General made an apology. That in itself was a step forward. However it does not change the fact that the comment was made by a leader of a country and that rape occurs here a lot just as their statistics dont accurately show the true number of rapes because of the mentality of Thai people. This is a core issue amongst thais which should be addressed.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

that issue should be addressed in dozens of conservative countries. and it will be. slowly. in the meantime, I have met many people in western society that would agree with that. it is common.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Womens%20Page/clothing_does_matter.htm

http://returnofqueens.com/womens-responsibility-in-preventing-rape/

http://barbwire.com/2014/08/29/godlessness-safety-nail-polish-rape-culture/

Sometimes I wonder if the people who make these charts have an agenda, or maybe a different definition. In the NationMaster info, it shows the US, Australia and the UK about the same. But the red graph doesn't even show OZ or UK, that I can see.

Back to the topic, rape is a horrible thing that scars a woman mentally for life. The perps should be permanently off the streets however a country chooses because they have really messed up minds.

Guys can be victims of rape too..

You direct your comments at women only.

• Like 1

You all are comparing the wrong things. Every country can quote its rape statistics. No one here has looked at the real problem. The mentality of a Thai man that made the leader of this country make such a comment initially. This attitude is rampant amongst the Thai man. Sure the General made an apology. That in itself was a step forward. However it does not change the fact that the comment was made by a leader of a country and that rape occurs here a lot just as their statistics dont accurately show the true number of rapes because of the mentality of Thai people. This is a core issue amongst thais which should be addressed.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

that issue should be addressed in dozens of conservative countries. and it will be. slowly. in the meantime, I have met many people in western society that would agree with that. it is common.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Womens%20Page/clothing_does_matter.htm

http://returnofqueens.com/womens-responsibility-in-preventing-rape/

http://barbwire.com/2014/08/29/godlessness-safety-nail-polish-rape-culture/

http://www.economist.com/node/21561883

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want,

they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere,"

A beach is the most proper place where to wear a bikini

but this concept doesn't apply here.

Sadly, this draconian way of thinking applies to the vast majority of Thais.

And they are supposed to be in the year 2557.

Edited by doremifasol

In the period 2011-2012 there were over 51000 sexual assaults reported in Australia. That figure does not include those under the age of 18. Given that Australia's population is one third that of Thailand those figures are somewhat alarming. That's a sexual assault every ten minutes.

But you would have to specify exactly what "sexual assault" in those figures meant.

!. Rape

2 Man pinches womans bottom on bus

Both sexual assault

• Like 1

Playing with statistics is almost useless IMHO.

My perception, right or wrong, is that, in many parts of the world, rapes and sexual assaults are massively under-reported.

Somewhat true, but one has to start somewhere, doesn't one?

I think we all know that in certain countries and cultures rape is less likely to be reported, for fear of retribution or even being outcast or even rebuked for one's own actions (including being attacked).

"It is highly likely that more than 50% or much more of rapes in Thailand go unreported, for fear of retribution or rebuke, and fear that the system here would not cater to the victim. Even if the perpretrator were to be proven to have committed wrong action, a small fine would likely see him walk free" {sic} (regarding rape from male to female). [source: the other one, not permitted to link].

• Like 1

My perception, right or wrong, is that, in many parts of the world, rapes and sexual assaults are massively under-reported.

I think we all know that in certain countries and cultures rape is less likely to be reported, for fear of retribution or even being outcast or even rebuked for one's own actions (including being attacked).

"It is highly likely that more than 50% or much more of rapes in Thailand go unreported, for fear of retribution or rebuke, and fear that the system here would not cater to the victim. Even if the perpretrator were to be proven to have committed wrong action, a small fine would likely see him walk free" {sic} (regarding rape from male to female). [source: the other one, not permitted to link].

The UK group rape crisis estimates about 60% go unreported in the UK... id expect it given the cultural differences and less chance of a Thai woman reporting or speaking up its closer to 80% or higher here

Sexual assault is not rape in Australia a woman can have you up for sexual assault for saying her bobs a to big get it Australia is a Police state you live here to long and you don't go back home and see what is going on so you people who think you know what you are say of the net go back and see how it is now ok .

Sexual assault is not rape in Australia a woman can have you up for sexual assault for saying her bobs a to big get it Australia is a Police state you live here to long and you don't go back home and see what is going on so you people who think you know what you are say of the net go back and see how it is now ok .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#Australia

I agree that one has to start somewhere.. A good start would be to have 50/50 male and female police forces, lawyers, lawmakers, politicians and the likes... Unfortunately we are seeing the other side of the coin in the west, in the shape of exaggerated or even totally false sexual assaults reports..

So.. It really starts from one's education and culture. And upbringing.

Do i want to be a man, or do i want to be an animal ?

But you would have to specify exactly what "sexual assault" in those figures meant.

!. Rape

2 Man pinches womans bottom on bus

Both sexual assault

in Australia a wolf whistle or saying something with a sexual inference are regarded as sexual assault, it does not have to be physical