When will life's Real Heros be asked to step up to the podium?

dotpoom

Disillusionment is not an uncommon thing, my friend, but you should not sweat the small stuff - golf is small stuff and irrelevant to my everyday life. It gets filed in the "Human quirk" folder - :). People need their heroes, even golfing heroes. So let them have them. There's much to be said for admiring someone who pushes their personal boundaries to the limit to achieve success in whatever field. That applies as much to your medicos etc who sacrifice as it does to a golf or rugby star. Admire the resilience, fortitude, courage - whatever. But don't get your knickers in a knot because that hero hits a little white ball and people admire him/her for it. It's a quirk. Nothing more than that and not worth worrying about just as long as you can still admire those who sacrifice for others. Maybe you can start a thread on people who sacrifice and should be recognised.

• Like 1

When Big Pharma starts paying their researchers billions for their discoveries instead of pocketing the cash themselves you may see a turnaround in peoples priorities.

Edited by ATF

Not all heros are media hyped heros - which is all these people are - are media machine driven personas......a lot of them not genuinely nice people.....

I had two parents that I'd say were my own personal heros.....and hopefully I am also to some folks along my path of life......

I think I prefer our doctors being quiet achievers, the un sung heroes. More gracious.

No one really likes a noisey sporting star, and I don't think they can be classed as heroes.

I don't think any world class surgeons really want 80thousand screaming fans cheering them on during surgery either.

• Like 2

Actually I like golf, just as much as I would enjoy looking at a bunch of kids kicking a football around the school playground or in the streets or playing a game of "marbles"....it's the putting them on pedestals and making "hero's" out of them that I fail to understand.

Disillusionment is not an uncommon thing, my friend, but you should not sweat the small stuff - golf is small stuff and irrelevant to my everyday life. It gets filed in the "Human quirk" folder - smile.png. People need their heroes, even golfing heroes. So let them have them. There's much to be said for admiring someone who pushes their personal boundaries to the limit to achieve success in whatever field. That applies as much to your medicos etc who sacrifice as it does to a golf or rugby star. Admire the resilience, fortitude, courage - whatever. But don't get your knickers in a knot because that hero hits a little white ball and people admire him/her for it. It's a quirk. Nothing more than that and not worth worrying about just as long as you can still admire those who sacrifice for others. Maybe you can start a thread on people who sacrifice and should be recognised.I

I have a slight problem when the word "courage" is used to describe a sports move. Courage to me is jumping into a fast flowing river to save another living being......even more so so if unable to swim.

Edited by dotpoom

Many real heroes never step up any where, because they want to remain .anonymous.

How true,a lovely quiet old chap that drank in my local passed away a few years ago. Only at his funeral it was discovered that he was in the S.O.E(forerunner to the SAS/SBS),he never told anyone. That's a real hero,RIP old George.

Many real heroes never step up any where, because they want to remain .anonymous.

How true,a lovely quiet old chap that drank in my local passed away a few years ago. Only at his funeral it was discovered that he was in the S.O.E(forerunner to the SAS/SBS),he never told anyone. That's a real hero,RIP old George.

Yes correct a REAL HERO, who gets credit when he cannot except it.

• Like 1

In my view I think the doctors that are trying to eradicate Ebola ( example only) would want the world to enjoy the frivolity of life, after all the world would be a dark place without the diversions.

However I agree that we don't pay enough kudos to the many people that try to make the world a better place.

I think most of those people would prefer their anonymity so the best way to appreciate their efforts is to be the best person you can each day. No one is perfect, though Aussies come close.

In my view I think the doctors that are trying to eradicate Ebola ( example only) would want the world to enjoy the frivolity of life, after all the world would be a dark place without the diversions.

However I agree that we don't pay enough kudos to the many people that try to make the world a better place.

I think most of those people would prefer their anonymity so the best way to appreciate their efforts is to be the best person you can each day. No one is perfect, though Aussies come close.

Agreed....I am all for the enjoying the frivolities of life, the more I enjoy them the more alive I am.....what I am saying is that is all they are (sports, celebrities etc., etc., etc.,) frivolities...not to be taken as seriously as life and death.

I am in agreement also that "real" heros, in the main, seem to like to stay in the background, they are on the whole humble people.

My OP I suppose was asking those people who seem to think that sport is more important that life and death by making icons of these people to maybe consider making your local fireman for example your hero and asking him to step up to the podium and be host at their special event rather that some astor from a soap opera.

Edited by dotpoom

Disillusionment is not an uncommon thing, my friend, but you should not sweat the small stuff - golf is small stuff and irrelevant to my everyday life. It gets filed in the "Human quirk" folder - smile.png. People need their heroes, even golfing heroes. So let them have them. There's much to be said for admiring someone who pushes their personal boundaries to the limit to achieve success in whatever field. That applies as much to your medicos etc who sacrifice as it does to a golf or rugby star. Admire the resilience, fortitude, courage - whatever. But don't get your knickers in a knot because that hero hits a little white ball and people admire him/her for it. It's a quirk. Nothing more than that and not worth worrying about just as long as you can still admire those who sacrifice for others. Maybe you can start a thread on people who sacrifice and should be recognised.I

I have a slight problem when the word "courage" is used to describe a sports move. Courage to me is jumping into a fast flowing river to save another living being......even more so so if unable to swim.

You are, of course, correct on many levels. Not just about golfers, but all professional athletes. And while we're at it, how about actors/actresses, musicians, and pretty much any "entertainer" who make buckets of money while not doing anything particularly "important" for society. If money is the gauge, why would a movie star get paid more than a teacher, policeman, soldier, nurses, fireman, etc.? Why would these IT guys get billions for starting Google, FB, Alibaba, Apple, Twitter, etc.? And these people get hero-status on top of that!

It's called capitalism and it's what we're stuck with. Most anybody can be a teacher, policeman, soldier, etc., but very few can be a top movie star or professional athlete. Most anybody can go out and hit a golf ball, but very few can do so well enough to make a living at it. Society doesn't have to anoint these celebs as heros, but that's what they do. Well, that's what we do. That's the society that we live in. No point pissing into the wind.

You are, of course, correct on many levels. Not just about golfers, but all professional athletes. And while we're at it, how about actors/actresses, musicians, and pretty much any "entertainer" who make buckets of money while not doing anything particularly "important" for society. If money is the gauge, why would a movie star get paid more than a teacher, policeman, soldier, nurses, fireman, etc.? Why would these IT guys get billions for starting Google, FB, Alibaba, Apple, Twitter, etc.? And these people get hero-status on top of that!

It's called capitalism and it's what we're stuck with. Most anybody can be a teacher, policeman, soldier, etc., but very few can be a top movie star or professional athlete. Most anybody can go out and hit a golf ball, but very few can do so well enough to make a living at it. Society doesn't have to anoint these celebs as heros, but that's what they do. Well, that's what we do. That's the society that we live in. No point pissing into the wind.

" No point pissing into the wind."

While I obviously agree with most of what you write, the above is probably the only piece of your post that would cause me concern, sounds defeatist or negative. I am a great believer in trying to heighten people's awareness. I once read something along these lines....."A life is wasted if one observes what he considers a wrong and chooses to do (or say) nothing". As I say, not the exact words but it goes along with the way I think. I now love to hear other people's point of view and read them with interest.........I used to have a closed mind in an earlier life and one of the greatest and freeing discoveries I made in later life was that most of what i believed and held to be true....could possibly be totally wrong.................. You have made a lot of sense and I will bear it in mind.

" No point pissing into the wind."

While I obviously agree with most of what you write, the above is probably the only piece of your post that would cause me concern, sounds defeatist or negative. I am a great believer in trying to heighten people's awareness. I once read something along these lines....."A life is wasted if one observes what he considers a wrong and chooses to do (or say) nothing". As I say, not the exact words but it goes along with the way I think. I now love to hear other people's point of view and read them with interest.........I used to have a closed mind in an earlier life and one of the greatest and freeing discoveries I made in later life was that most of what i believed and held to be true....could possibly be totally wrong.................. You have made a lot of sense and I will bear it in mind.

Ok, sorry about the last sentence. Didn't mean to come across as negative. Only meant to say no point losing sleep over something that you cannot change. But I get your point(s).

having worked in IRAQ this year,(not for long)

them boys of our who go out there to fight,keep the piece are the real heros,

the place is hell on earth 50% heat, sand,, not good,

and i was in a camp next to a oil refinery not in some tent,,

i take my hat of to them guys, once youve been there, you see first hand how hard it is,

jake

Surely if you couldn't swim, that would be stupidity not courage !!

Courage would be taking the time to find something to throw to them, to aid their rescue :)

Courage would be taking the time to find something to throw to them, to aid their rescue smile.png

Really, that's how you define courage? The dictionary definition is "the ability to do something that frightens one." So a world-class swimmer jumping in to help another is not real courageous. But someone who can barely swim jumping in the water to help another, that's more courageous. Not sure if intelligence has anything to do with courage or bravery.

Courage would be taking the time to find something to throw to them, to aid their rescue smile.png

Really, that's how you define courage? The dictionary definition is "the ability to do something that frightens one." So a world-class swimmer jumping in to help another is not real courageous. But someone who can barely swim jumping in the water to help another, that's more courageous. Not sure if intelligence has anything to do with courage or bravery.

But you see how you changed the wording to 'barely swim' from 'unable to swim' :)

If you know you can't swim and you jump in to save someone else, then that makes 2 casualties, which to me would be an act of stupidity...

I know you are just trying to be "picky" because you picked on the part that was just an afterthought, not the main point I was making. but I'll reply anyway. You say "Courage would be taking the time to find something to throw to them, to aid their rescue". My friend....I have a 3 year old Grandson who is forever looking all over the place for sticks, balls and all sorts of stuff....he does not require courage to do this. Even a coward could take the time to look for something to throw to a drowning person. Had you said it would be more Wise to do this if one cannot swim then you might have made some sense....but as most people might have guessed, when faced with such a dilemma, courages people usually act without thinking, it is an automatic reaction, (another opp. to be picky with that last bit)

My point was (in my opinion) that the word courage should not be used in relation to a game of golf or any sport. Commentators like to describe a shot as "courageous" when let'say, a player goes for a green in one rather than two shots. My point is...if he gets it wrong he may lose a point or two...if the man or lady who jumps into a river to save another gets it wrong ..... they may lose their life.....no comparison.....but the word is often used to describe both situations.

Just not sure I see the relevance to Thailand here folks, but you seem to be enjoying yourselves - carry on.

A forum for general interest & discussion topics related to Thailand only and not covered by other sub forums.
The General Forum is not a place for chit chat, banter and daily life observations. Those sort of topics should be placed in the Farang Pub sub forum.