30 Day Visa Exemption Extension

I'm currently staying on a 30 day Visa Exemption Stamp and as per the new rules would like to extend it for another 30 days for 1900 baht iirc.

Two questions,

1. Will the immigration office in Jomtien on Soi 5 be able to accommodate me?

2. If I get an extension before my 30 days is up will the 30 days start the day I extend or will they be tacked

onto to existing 30 day stamp allowing me a full 60 days? I hate to wait until the last day to do this but will

if needed.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this has been asked already.

Edited by Roger Lee

You can get the extension at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the application form.

All extensions start from the end of the permitted to stay date. You loose nothing by doing them early.

Ubonjoe you mean by local address,the hotel where you are staying is good enough???

Thanks for the helpful info.

Has anyone tried this visa exemption extension in Bangkok successfully?

One problem I may have with this process - I am traveling around Thailand, Bangkok, north, south, and don't have all the hotel reservations as these are often done a day or two before.

I also will likely cross a border via land.

If this new process is meant for actual travellers or backpackers it could be complicated.

Hello,

Please accept my apologies if It isn't the proper topic.

I've been living and working in Bangkok for almost 2 years (with a work permit and a visa). After resignation, I went abroad and came back here at the end of August with a 30days stamp on my passport.

As Monday 29th September is my last day, I would like to ask you 2 questions before going to the immigration office and obtaining the 30days extension.

1) Living near Udom Suk BTS (South of Sukhumvit), the immigration office division 1 at Chaeng Watthana is a bit far, Do you know if any other place provides this extension service in Bangkok?

2) Regarding documents, I had to extend my lease agreement 2 weeks ago (expiration date is now: September 2015). Do you think the presentation of this document could cause suspicion?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I've been living and working in Bangkok for almost 2 years (with a work permit and a visa). After resignation, I went abroad and came back here at the end of August with a 30 days stamp on my passport.

As Monday 29th September is my last day, I would like to ask you 2 questions before going to the immigration office and obtaining the 30days extension.

1) Living near Udom Suk BTS (South of Sukhumvit), the immigration office division 1 at Chaeng Watthana is a bit far, Do you know if any other place provides this extension service in Bangkok?

2) Regarding documents, I had to extend my lease agreement 2 weeks ago (expiration date is now: September 2015). Do you think the presentation of this document could cause suspicion?

Thanks in advance.

1. There is no other office you can use.

2. They will not ask for proof of residence or accommodations.

All they want is a completed TM7 application form, copies of passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello,

I've been living and working in Bangkok for almost 2 years (with a work permit and a visa). After resignation, I went abroad and came back here at the end of August with a 30 days stamp on my passport.

Thanks in advance.

1. There is no other office you can use.

2. They will not ask for proof of residence or accommodations.

All they want is a completed TM7 application form, copies of passport photo page, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Thanks ubonjoe, you rock!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello just an FYI to any interested about the new regulation for extension of "temporary stay"/"visa exempt stamp"/"Visa"etc. The process was staightforward and easy but can take a long time, plan on maximum whole day just in case. There were only two cubicles taking care of the new extension process, though many other staffed cubicles were not utilized, remained empty of work or foreign visitors (Angry birds, candy crush, solitaire and bubble game were heavily utilized :-) the whole time. It took me 4 hours to receive the 30 day extension. The immigration officers were cordial and worked at least 90 minutes after closing hours. I had to provide phone number, specific accomodation in Bangkok, photo and the THB 1900 fee, that is all.

Edited by jktmedia

• 2 months later...

Update, Jan. 26th 2015

I went to the Chon Buri Immigration office and successfully received another extension for my Visa Exemption Stamp which I received at BKK on December 28th 2014.

I took my passport, filled out and signed TM-7 form with attached photo, and photocopies of the passport ID page, 30 day exemption stamp, and the departure card.

One snag, the lady asked for proof of address which I didn't have on me. She paused, then told me next time bring along proof of residence.

So a heads up, bring proof of address with you if you're processing through the Chon Buri office just in case. No where is it written, but they can make the rules up as they go along, so beware!

Also, due to recent knee surgery I held off going to the Immigration office until the last day. Don't do this. I arrived shortly before they opened and waited in a line that was out into the street. When I got to the reception desk, they wrote on the top of my TM-7 form 12:30 and told me to come back at 12:30 pm. At 12:30 the line was almost to the street again and I received a number that was almost 100 people behind the front. Four and a half hours later I finally got to the extension desk. Mondays are probably not a good day to go imho.

Just an update.

My first stop was on Soi 5 where there was an office selling passport photos, 4 for 80 baht. I only needed one but having 3 extra will be handy possibly

I went to the Chon Buri (Jomtien) immigration office at about 10 am and just over half of the waiting room seats were taken. The front desk screened me asking what I wanted to do. I had a pre-signed TM-7 form with the passport photo stapled to it, a copy of my passport page with the info, a copy of my passport page with the TM-6 attached to it, the rental agreement from my condo, a booking confirmation for an outbound flight and proof of where I work, (not in Thailand). The lady stamped each page and required me to initial each one.

When I got to the #2 desk after about a 10 minute wait I was asked why and I said for holiday. She asked when I wanted to return and where, I responded with my confirmed flight. She seem surprised that my flight was already confirmed. She then wanted to confirm where I was staying and carefully studied my rental agreement. She then asked me if I worked and I replied with my work authorization from where I work and she just brushed it off, not needed. At this point she collected the 1900 baht and said to watch the counter to my right as this is where I needed to collect my passport. After about 20 minutes they handed out about a dozen passports, mine included.

All told the process took less than 45 minutes and was pretty painless. This was my first visit to immigration.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone needing an extension of stay in the future.

Edited by Roger Lee

Went to Jomtien Immigration on 29/1 to extend the 30-day stamp for 30 more days. I never got past the young lady who "helps" while standing next to the check-in desk. I told her what I was there for. She examined my USA passport, saw that my 30 days will finish on 7/2, and informed me that I cannot do the extension now. I must come back on Friday 6/2, the only day on which this office will do the extension, according to her.

I've never done this 30-day extension before. I've had many years of non-imm visas done in Bangkok without problems, and Jomtien's service of ED visa renewals was OK. So I'm surprised that I was given only the last day on my stamp to do the extension. What if something goes wrong on that day?

As an American, I'm trying not to take it personally, despite Bkk. Post's front-page headline on 29/1 concerning rude remarks about Thailand by a US gov't. guy, resented by Khun Prayut.

I don't understand why a tourist would be treated this way. Are they willing to create bad feelings needlessly so we don't come back?

Did the young lady "helper" know what she was talking about?

lol- I got similar treatment a month ago, it never occurred to me that it was cuz I was american. they're just really busy nowadays with extensions, which is kinda surprising since there don't seem to be more tourists than normal this time of year.

Went to Jomtien Immigration on 29/1 to extend the 30-day stamp for 30 more days. I never got past the young lady who "helps" while standing next to the check-in desk. I told her what I was there for. She examined my USA passport, saw that my 30 days will finish on 7/2, and informed me that I cannot do the extension now. I must come back on Friday 6/2, the only day on which this office will do the extension, according to her.

I've never done this 30-day extension before. I've had many years of non-imm visas done in Bangkok without problems, and Jomtien's service of ED visa renewals was OK. So I'm surprised that I was given only the last day on my stamp to do the extension. What if something goes wrong on that day?

As an American, I'm trying not to take it personally, despite Bkk. Post's front-page headline on 29/1 concerning rude remarks about Thailand by a US gov't. guy, resented by Khun Prayut.

I don't understand why a tourist would be treated this way. Are they willing to create bad feelings needlessly so we don't come back?

Did the young lady "helper" know what she was talking about?

Maybe it's an internal rule that they made up, very possible.

According to ubonjoe, and I trust his information 100%, you can go in early to extend. It doesn't have to be the last day. I'd try again if it were me, the last day is kind of risky. I know, first hand.

lol- I got similar treatment a month ago, it never occurred to me that it was cuz I was american. they're just really busy nowadays with extensions, which is kinda surprising since there don't seem to be more tourists than normal this time of year.

I was surprised also by the number of people there for extensions. I was especially surprised by the number of Russians there since they seemed to have cleared out a bit.

Jomtien has decided on their own to tell people they have to apply on the last day of their entry for some odd reason.

I think I would consider a short road trip to another immigration office and check into a cheap guesthouse or hotel to get the receipt to use that address to apply for the extension.

The criterias for extension of 30 day visa exemption, does anyone have a link to some official website about this?

A guy I know claims the criterias are the same for VOA and Visa Exemption, but that cannot be true?

Link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Visa on Arrival and visa exempt entries from certain countries cannot be extended for 30 days.

The criterias for extension of 30 day visa exemption, does anyone have a link to some official website about this?

A guy I know claims the criterias are the same for VOA and Visa Exemption, but that cannot be true?

Link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Visa on Arrival and visa exempt entries from certain countries cannot be extended for 30 days.

Thanks for the link paz. My country is Norway, and as I understand from this Immigration order we can get a 30 day extension "In the case of tourism purposes" Correct?

But to get this extension what is necessary to bring to the Immigration office when you apply? Any link to some official website describing that?

Thanks for the link paz. My country is Norway, and as I understand from this Immigration order we can get a 30 day extension "In the case of tourism purposes" Correct?

But to get this extension what is necessary to bring to the Immigration office when you apply? Any link to some official website describing that?

No problem extending for a Norway passport. Bring an hotel receipt and printout of outgoing reservation if you have that, but it may not needed. Copies and pics can be done at the local shop.

• 1 month later...

What happens if someone entered on a 60 day tourist visa, then got a 30 day extension, and then realized that the date they were extended to falls short by 1 day of the flight back to europe that they already booked. it would be quite costly to cancel and rebook or to change that flight.

if you overstay by one day, you are asked to pay a small fine of 500-1000 THB at the airport. is that right? but, more importantly, does that jeopardize that person's ability to get future tourist visas or visa exempt stamps? they want to return for 3 months in the fall.

or can they get another further extension of 7 days at local immigration office beyond the original 30 day extension? and, again more importantly, does that jeopardize that person's ability to get future tourist visas or visa exempt stamps?

What happens if someone entered on a 60 day tourist visa, then got a 30 day extension, and then realized that the date they were extended to falls short by 1 day of the flight back to europe that they already booked. it would be quite costly to cancel and rebook or to change that flight.

if you overstay by one day, you are asked to pay a small fine of 500-1000 THB at the airport. is that right? but, more importantly, does that jeopardize that person's ability to get future tourist visas or visa exempt stamps? they want to return for 3 months in the fall.

or can they get another further extension of 7 days at local immigration office beyond the original 30 day extension? and, again more importantly, does that jeopardize that person's ability to get future tourist visas or visa exempt stamps?

A one day overstay would have no effect on getting visas or exempt entries in the future,

If leaving from either airport you will not even be fined for a overstay of less than 24 hours. You get a small blue stamp that states in Thai that you overstayed less than 24 hours.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently tried to extend their 30 day stamp at the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office ?

This is late for You but for others to know, I got my 30 day extension today for 15 day stamp in Nakhon Sawan office. Nothing asked, no ticket out, no money to show.