Loi Krathong and Yi Peng 2014

The Kuruvillas

Anyone in CNX attending? It's our first time and we wanted to know where we should go and at what time. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Are there things we should avoid? Lessons learned worth imparting? We really want to not get screwed on this and want our experience to not be scarred by the tourist traps and disappointments that usually befall the unsuspecting.

anyone in CNX attending? what do you think? Usually accommodation is totally booked out weeks ahead, traffic is more crazy than usual, and streets are closed in parts for the various parades, and it's a big thing for all of us.

The moat is usually full of colourful lit up displays, some of the inhabitants are also lit up, and a few have been known to fall into the water.

You just need to watch your head as the fire lanterns run out of fuel and come down.

So yes, maybe one or two from CNX will be there.

Are you talking about Chiang Mai "Loi Kratong" or the MaeJo "Yi Peng" Dhamma Center 10,000 floating lantern release?

They usually happen at different times.

MaeJo "Yi Peng" date 25 October 2014

Please note the VIP event, is not the local event, but a tourist scam event that involves a rather high charge.

If you are asked to pay for a VIP seat, it's not the event you want, the real one is free.

http://8milesfromhome.com/post/40988739105/yi-peng-festival-mae-jo-uni-chiang-mai

"The real free local Yee Peng / Yi Peng lantern release at Mae Jo University Chiang Mai will be on October 25, 2014

The paid and ticketed International event is on November 08, 2014. Prices from 3000 THB to 4500THB per person."

Please note, dates are not guaranteed, they do try to hide the local event from foreigners, and much dis-information is spread.

Chiang Mai "Loi Kratong" dates 5,6 & 7 November 2014

(2 weeks later than Yi Peng)

Event list here

http://www.chiangmai-alacarte.com/loy-krathong-festival-november-5-6-and-7-2014-0

PS

The local Yi Peng event, held at the Dhamma Center behind MaeJo University, is totally amazing, if dangerously overcrowded.

The one event in the year not to be missed. It's actually the experience of a lifetime. (except I go every year)

A friend of mine took this video last year (2013)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

AnotherOneAmerican, your reply seems rather confusing and worrying. From what we found online, the 10,000 lantern release is on full moon which is the 6th of November, 2014 and that information was backed up by several websites. We booked our tickets keeping the same in mind. In fact most websites currently list 6th November, 2014 as the event date for Yi Peng and the 10,000 lantern release at Mae Joe. It appears the only website I found supporting the date you suggested it's on is the same link you provided. If in fact it is on the 25th of October, 2014, we're going to miss it as we would be in BKK on that date. I could try for an alteration of our flight plans if I can get accommodation sorted out and Thai Airways is amenable to the same, but given the varying dates being mentioned, I obviously won't want to change things without 100% confirmation. Are there any other folks here with supporting data that confirms the date for the 25th of October, 2014?

They deliberately hide the date of the real MaeJo event to try and reduce numbers, and keep it locals only.

For the past 4 years dates are only confirmed a week before the event.

You are unlikely to get 100% confirmation from anyone.

As a foreigner you aren't invited, they won't turn you away, but it's an event for locals only.

Nothing personal, they don't want Thais from out of town either.

I don't know for sure, and I live less than 500m from the Dhamma center in MaeJo.

My gf sells Khom Loi's on a stall outside the event each year, and she doesn't know yet either.

The site I linked, seems sure, and in line with previous years info. Did you follow the link and read it?

Last year was the first time in the recent past Loi Kratong and the Dhamma Center co-incided.

It's usually arranged so tourists can't attend both events. Two to three weeks gap is normal.

There are two Mae Jo lantern releases, one for tourists that you pay for and one which is for locals that is free. On different days obviously.

Been a few times and it gets unbelievably busy.....don't take a car/truck, even on motorbike took about an hour to get in and even then no chance getting to the launch site. Only once have I made it to the launch site which was good. When I say busy, I MEAN really busy, especially the closer you get to the launch site.

To get there, you need to get there I would guess around 3-4 o'clock.

Remember, Loy Kratong in town is on for a few nights, so possible to attend both. I am pretty sure last year, it was about a week before the main event in town.

Loy Kratong now is actually quite a tame event compared to a few years ago. Narawat Bridge is EXACTLY the place to be if you want to get into the thick of it and of course, being on the river, everyone selling and launching Kratong down the river. Don't forget the parade/floats on a couple of nights.

Edited by kjhbigv

AnotherOneAmerican, your reply seems rather confusing and worrying. From what we found online, the 10,000 lantern release is on full moon which is the 6th of November, 2014 and that information was backed up by several websites. We booked our tickets keeping the same in mind. In fact most websites currently list 6th November, 2014 as the event date for Yi Peng and the 10,000 lantern release at Mae Joe. It appears the only website I found supporting the date you suggested it's on is the same link you provided. If in fact it is on the 25th of October, 2014, we're going to miss it as we would be in BKK on that date. I could try for an alteration of our flight plans if I can get accommodation sorted out and Thai Airways is amenable to the same, but given the varying dates being mentioned, I obviously won't want to change things without 100% confirmation. Are there any other folks here with supporting data that confirms the date for the 25th of October, 2014?

I've been to the last five free lantern releases at MaeJo and it's always been on the Saturday before the main Loi Krathong activities in Chiang Mai. The main Chiang Mai activities happen around the full moon, which, as you noted, is on the November 6 this year.

25 October would be unusually early, but last year's event was so over-crowded they may be making changes. Or, as AnotherOneAmerican wrote, they may be doing a better than usual job of keeping the actual date secret. I haven't learned this year's date, and none of the Thais I've asked know it either.

In short, it seems very few people know for sure, and those that know aren't telling. Sorry, not a very satisfying answer.

• Like 1

Well looks like we will be there between the 4th and 8th of November this year. We do not want to go for the paid lantern scam thing and support such racketeers with our hard earned money so worse comes to worst, we'll just buy us a few dozen lanterns and let them soar up high by ourselves. You guys and girls are most welcome to join us and of course, we will be there to see Loi Krathong. If the Mae Joe lantern release occurs during our time there, maybe we could bump into some of you who'd be attending it :)

"The organizing committee would like to show our deep appreciation to all honorable gue

kindly assist us in educating female hilltribe youths in “Tawan Bon Doi Project” and generous
donation to support the project by buying tickets to attend Yeepeng Lanna International 2014"
"scam thing and support such racketeers" or Charity.
If you don't know what it is, a little research will save you from saying something stupid....

Well looks like we will be there between the 4th and 8th of November this year. We do not want to go for the paid lantern scam thing and support such racketeers with our hard earned money so worse comes to worst, we'll just buy us a few dozen lanterns and let them soar up high by ourselves. You guys and girls are most welcome to join us and of course, we will be there to see Loi Krathong. If the Mae Joe lantern release occurs during our time there, maybe we could bump into some of you who'd be attending it smile.png

My apologies CMSteve, I had inferred the paid Event was a tourist trap affair from AnotherOneAmericans post above and several websites. I come from a country where many charities are being run illegally so their trustees acquire immense wealth preying on the sympathy and compassion of donors. Also given the last time the Yeepeng Lanna Website was updated was 2012, a tout on the ground trying to convince me to drop 100 USD would seem suspicious. Either way, the lack of clarity on the whole thing seems rather subversive and while I would happily donate to a charity for a worthy cause, dropping 100 USD for a charity event that seems to use a religious and cultural act as an excuse to sell tickets and that uses exclusion and segregation as marketing tools makes me uncomfortable. During my previous visits to Thailand I learned not everything is as it seems and coming from a country that trained me to be suspicious, I have a strong preference for clarity, transparency and forthcoming behaviour.

It's just a matter of perspective that remains when clarity does not.

• Like 1

Again, I implore you to please do your research first and more importantly, please leave what you and your people do in your country in your country.

Maybe take a look at some of AoA's previous post and see if that is someone you feel comfortable quoting.

They DO NOT have a website that sells tickets, the website many people used in previous years is a privately owned website.

Most charities are started and/or run by religious groups. Most people say they like charity, but will never donate. Most charities offer something in return for the donation. Can you think of one that does not? Even a pin, pen, time with a celebrity, raffle, plaque?

Being uncomfortable about the unknown is fair, but to come out and call it a scam and the volunteers "racketeers"? < -- is this a matter of perspective?

My apologies CMSteve, I had inferred the paid Event was a tourist trap affair from AnotherOneAmericans post above and several websites. I come from a country where many charities are being run illegally so their trustees acquire immense wealth preying on the sympathy and compassion of donors. Also given the last time the Yeepeng Lanna Website was updated was 2012, a tout on the ground trying to convince me to drop 100 USD would seem suspicious. Either way, the lack of clarity on the whole thing seems rather subversive and while I would happily donate to a charity for a worthy cause, dropping 100 USD for a charity event that seems to use a religious and cultural act as an excuse to sell tickets and that uses exclusion and segregation as marketing tools makes me uncomfortable. During my previous visits to Thailand I learned not everything is as it seems and coming from a country that trained me to be suspicious, I have a strong preference for clarity, transparency and forthcoming behaviour.

It's just a matter of perspective that remains when clarity does not.

Fair enough CMSteve, not looking to stir up any ill feelings here. My experiences in BKK while generally awesome (hence me returning a few times a year), often were wrought with touts and scams artists at the ground level. People stopping me from entering a historical site falsely claiming it was closed and instead trying to convince us to go to some shop or location from where they get a commission is just one example of that.

The YeePeng Lanna International lantern event being held as a VIP paid event may be for a charitable cause as you say, however as there is little clarity on the whole affair, I would rather keep my money to myself.

And usually when I donate to charities, they're registered and provide tax receipts. When a charity charges 100 USD for an event that has say 1000 attendees on the low side, that's 1,00,000 USD a year being raised which is rather fantastic if it's being used to educate girls up in the mountains. I am sure 31,00,000 THB from just one event is quite the fund.

Somehow, as there is close to no information about either of the foundations involved in YeePeng Lanna International lantern event available online aside from yeepenglanna.net which you claim is a privately run endeavour, I must remain skeptical about the authenticity of that event and those charities.

Based on the above and the information being provided to me online, I do feel the whole event is suspect and the intentions of the so called otherwise unheard of foundation that raises at least 3.1 million THB are not entirely charitable. It is therefore my opinion that it could very well be racketeers and scam artists after all. Maybe it's not, but we can agree to disagree if you like but as you said it's a matter of perspective and mine derives from my opinion. No offence.

• Like 1

And one more thing, looks like all the research you did was check the one website that even mentions the Tawan Bon Doi Project which is yeepenglanna.net. I may have actually done a bit more research than you did here given that's all we've been doing regarding our trip out there in the first place. We posted on this forum to gather more clarity on what otherwise seems murky, subversive and dishonest. If everything online was clear about these two events, I wouldn't have had to come here and seek further information. I therefore do not think what I said was stupid in any way and I wouldn't sit here and judge anything you said either because that kind of negativity online is both pointless and a waste of our time.

• Like 2

Please just come by one day and check the place out before you go around spouting all this. Yeepenlanna.net and yeepenglanna.com ARE NOT owned by Tawan Bon Doi. The charity has not been subversive nor dishonest.

" I wouldn't sit here and judge anything you said either because that kind of negativity online is both pointless and a waste of our time." And yet, another post?

And one more thing, looks like all the research you did was check the one website that even mentions the Tawan Bon Doi Project which is yeepenglanna.net. I may have actually done a bit more research than you did here given that's all we've been doing regarding our trip out there in the first place. We posted on this forum to gather more clarity on what otherwise seems murky, subversive and dishonest. If everything online was clear about these two events, I wouldn't have had to come here and seek further information. I therefore do not think what I said was stupid in any way and I wouldn't sit here and judge anything you said either because that kind of negativity online is both pointless and a waste of our time.

Hey CMSteve,

Yeah, the charity raking in well over 3.1 million THB from just one event isn't even heard of online. Right, I find that rather hard to believe and if you do, it doesn't say much about your aptitude for whiffing out a scam.

And as for AnotherOneAmerican, at least he / she and other members of this site contributed some semblance of answers to my queries posted and you contributed pretty much nothing.

I don't think you have the language skills required to comprehend both my queries and my suspicions about the charity you claim to support with such fervor so I am no longer going to entertain any of your comments. If you don't like my suspicions or opinions of the YeePengLanna International event or the charity / foundation that claims to be behind it, you don't have to but kindly leave this forum topic alone to those who can be of some help as opposed to none at all.

And FYI, I never judged you and called your opinions 'stupid'.

Farewell.

Meanwhile, those here who have some idea as to when the free 10,000 lantern release will be held at Mae Joe University grounds, do share as my wife and I would love to know.

• Like 2

It one and only event throughout the year. Unfortunately, people talk a big game about donating, but few often do without something in return. I understand that people have different persepectives on amounts for money, we all live on a different budget. To say that a charity is well funded for taking in ~3mill baht a year?

I've asked you multiple times now to call or stop in at the charity if you have any questions. But it seems like it would be easier for you to assume that they are a racket because they don't have a website?

Anyway, we all appreciate that you will no longer post in response. The endless circles are dizzying.

BTW, The religious event has been confirmed for Oct 25, 2014 and welcome to TV!

Hey CMSteve,

Yeah, the charity raking in well over 3.1 million THB from just one event isn't even heard of online. Right, I find that rather hard to believe and if you do, it doesn't say much about your aptitude for whiffing out a scam.

And as for AnotherOneAmerican, at least he / she and other members of this site contributed some semblance of answers to my queries posted and you contributed pretty much nothing.

I don't think you have the language skills required to comprehend both my queries and my suspicions about the charity you claim to support with such fervor so I am no longer going to entertain any of your comments. If you don't like my suspicions or opinions of the YeePengLanna International event or the charity / foundation that claims to be behind it, you don't have to but kindly leave this forum topic alone to those who can be of some help as opposed to none at all.

And FYI, I never judged you and called your opinions 'stupid'.

Farewell.

Meanwhile, those here who have some idea as to when the free 10,000 lantern release will be held at Mae Joe University grounds, do share as my wife and I would love to know.

They deliberately hide and obscure the date for the free event, which everyone would like to attend, and widely publicise the $100 event to tourists, which nobody wants to attend. Clearly this organisation is totally legit?

Sounds like all dual pricing venues for tourists in Thailand, a disgraceful scam.

And I include Wat Doi Suthep in that list. Dual pricing for tourists is disgraceful, especially at religious events.

Legit charity, does not ever extort, it asks nicely.

And I actually find it offensive for a foreigner to shill for such an organization.

Scam or not?

Now let's examine the 3,000,000 bht a year fund raising CMSteve has claimed they raise every year.

That's approx 1,000 ticket sales @ $100 each, doesn't sound like many people attending?

Are there really so few attendees (if so, hardly worth going to see)?

Or is the money diverted elsewhere?

I have no idea,

but I do know the only people who attend, are those tourists deliberately misled into buying a ticket.

The free event boasts 10,000 lanterns, and each lantern is released by 4 or 5 people.

(Actually it's not free, you have to buy their lanterns, so money raised, so deduct that profit from the 3M ...Hmmmmm)

Huge, huge crowds, attending the free event.

• Like 1

Tickets advertised here,

http://www.yeepenglanna.net/index.html

But two to three years out of date!

Makes me wonder if there was a hostile takeover, and those people ousted kept the rights to the website.

The whole business with the paid event smells a bit to me.

• Like 1

They do not hide anything. You and everyone else have always been welcome to simply call or stop in to ask. You live close enough that is shouldn't even be a thought to you.

I have not seen the charity event publicized anywhere. Can you fill us in?

There is no dual pricing, all people pay the same to attend - for both events.

Yes, you have no idea. That was not my number but our new buddie's The Kuruvillas. But thanks for the honorable mention :)

Unlike the religious event, that is magically funded from... want to guess??? The charity event, provides seating, dinner, krathong, lanters, etc. (I guess that is what you mean by money is diverted?)

How do you know who attends? Have you been? Sold tickets? Consulted a crystal ball? Please let us in on your secret.

The "free" event does not boast 10,000 lanterns. Where did you see that?

I just don't understand why you and Kuruvillas would make up all this disinformation? Nothing either of you have posted had come from the organizers but rather third party website and "local" rumors.

If you have any questions, just stop in or call them.

They deliberately hide and obscure the date for the free event, which everyone would like to attend, and widely publicise the $100 event to tourists, which nobody wants to attend. Clearly this organisation is totally legit?

Sounds like all dual pricing venues for tourists in Thailand, a disgraceful scam.
And I include Wat Doi Suthep in that list. Dual pricing for tourists is disgraceful, especially at religious events.

Legit charity, does not ever extort, it asks nicely.
And I actually find it offensive for a foreigner to shill for such an organization.

Scam or not?
Now let's examine the 3,000,000 bht a year fund raising CMSteve has claimed they raise every year.
That's approx 1,000 ticket sales @ $100 each, doesn't sound like many people attending?
Are there really so few attendees (if so, hardly worth going to see)?
Or is the money diverted elsewhere?
I have no idea,

but I do know the only people who attend, are those tourists deliberately misled into buying a ticket.

The free event boasts 10,000 lanterns, and each lantern is released by 4 or 5 people.
(Actually it's not free, you have to buy their lanterns, so money raised, so deduct that profit from the 3M ...Hmmmmm)
Huge, huge crowds, attending the free event.

So nothing from the actual source? This is what I was trying to explain. This is all advertising for blogs, tours, etc. Nothing from the Charity.

When he says a LOT of people, he means a LOT of people.

Don't be in a hurry after the main lantern release if you go to the big/local/free lantern release. You won't be getting out fast, and you won't be able to do a thing about it.

Don't be claustrophobic either if you do want to leave with everyone else, as you will be pressed together in a sea of humanity you won't expect if you try to get up and go straight away.

But it's worth it.

• Like 1

Stay away from the Nawarat Bridge. Ground zero for LK. Dulling fire works a 1 meter and people due get hurt.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/chiang-mai-hangouts-2649:nawarat-bridge

Although likely irrelevant to most people, there's been no fireworks problem around the Nawarat Bridge for the last two years or so (previously, I agree it was like a war zone but they changed all that a couple of years ago and now it's no more dangerous or loud than anywhere along the parade route).

Well if the event is on October 25th, so be it, we'd be missing that. Anyways if the Thai people of Chiang Mai don't want us there as it seems, we wouldn't want to be uninvited guests. We'd also be missing out on the paid event, which is fine really, a charity that's unheard of online except for an overpriced segregated event they hold once a year and seems to remain unregistered is not where I would like to volunteer my money. If there's anything I know about Thai Tourism is being naive will cost you and the typical Thai lack of transparency is what is costing this charity this time, if they're the real deal that is. In other words, Loi Krathong, for which the Thai people appear to be willing to share with outsiders will make our trip worthwhile.

• Like 2

Well if the event is on October 25th, so be it, we'd be missing that. Anyways if the Thai people of Chiang Mai don't want us there as it seems, we wouldn't want to be uninvited guests. We'd also be missing out on the paid event, which is fine really, a charity that's unheard of online except for an overpriced segregated event they hold once a year and seems to remain unregistered is not where I would like to volunteer my money. If there's anything I know about Thai Tourism is being naive will cost you and the typical Thai lack of transparency is what is costing this charity this time, if they're the real deal that is. In other words, Loi Krathong, for which the Thai people appear to be willing to share with outsiders will make our trip worthwhile.

Actually the people of Chaing Mai, or the merchants of Chiang Mai, would love to see many times of the number of people come for the YePing event. However the event has reached or exceeded capacity and has no place to grow. The organizers of the event need to restrict attendance, and apparently chose to be discrete about the time of the event rather than charge admission.

Maybe it is 25 October this year, but I'm still waiting to get that information from another source before I make plans based on it. I have several Thai friends who are checking, so far they haven't learned anything.

• Like 1

This thread has turned into a circular firing squad. Loy Krathong is the loveliest event of the year around here. There are so many places along the river where you can buy and launch your krathong, buy and float your komfai, eat all kinds of great food, watch from a restaurant, watch from a rooftop, watch from a hotel, all without being pressed into a circus, or being obligated to pay anybody.

This is Chiang Mai...arai godai, mai pen rai, sabai sabai, and UP to YOU! Welcome All.

• Like 1