Real action needed in war on corruption: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Real action needed in war on corruption

The Nation

A non-nonsense approach addressing the very national psyche required to root out this maladie

BANGKOK: -- A few days ago, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha did what virtually all his predecessors had done, kick-starting an anti-corruption agenda. In his opening address at a government-sponsored forum, he said what virtually all his predecessors had said - about how graft was destroying every facet of society and hence how urgent and serious the problem was.

His action simply has confirmed the state Thailand is in - everyone knows corruption is a big and dangerous problem and everyone knows how we have come to this point, but that's just about it.

Thailand's corruption problem is more about what's next than why it has come about or how serious it is. Solutions can never be found unless rhetoric becomes true action and something is ingrained in the national psyche. Here is how Thailand can fight graft:

Teach the children that a Bt10 fraud is no different from a Bt100 fraud. Tell them that if they are punished for a Bt10 fraud while others get away with a Bt100 fraud, they must blame themselves, and it's by no means "injustice". Thailand's problem stems from the others-are-doing-it mentality, and the tendency to politicise corruption claims. Corruption is corruption, period. For too long in Thailand when we, or our people, are doing it, it's "necessity", but when others are doing it, it's evil.

We must restructure our parliamentary and executive systems completely, making them truly independent of each other, and stop using parliamentary censure to determine the future of allegedly corrupt ministers. Parliamentary censure can still be used to "expose" alleged wrongdoings, but somebody else should rule if a Cabinet member is "guilty", and the ruling and punishment must be based on the "Bt10 fraud is a fraud" principle.

Have a corruption court. Put all cases on national shows. Broadcast them live. We have plenty of TV channels, don't we? Of course, they must proceed on the "Bt10 fraud is a fraud" principle. Defendants must defend themselves on grounds they didn't do it, not "What about the others who are more corrupt?"

Empower the anti-graft officers fully, but create a checks-and-balances system that also makes them accountable to the "Bt10 fraud is a fraud" principle. Give public access to their work, which will enable the increasingly active social media to scrutinise the evidence. A system to protect the whistle-blowers must be in place.

The criminalisation and punishment, of course, will have politicians and bureaucrats as the main targets. What about the private sector or society as a whole? Awareness building must be continuous and serious and must concentrate on the young generation. Make corruption and conflict of interest intense subjects in the curriculums. Never think the issue is irrelevant. Doctors can be corrupt, so can engineers, journalists, athletes, business managers and etc.

Thailand must detach corruption from everything else. This is probably the hardest thing to do, but it's also probably why corruption is so hard to tackle in this country. What if a salesman who embezzled millions of baht has just saved a girl from drowning? If such a question plays a role in a corruption trial, similar questions will emerge in all corruption cases, not least the politically related ones. The principle here is that while the salesman's massive embezzlement is not known to have killed anyone, it doesn't mean it has not. The millions of baht involve many lives, and the effects of the fraud can be long-term and largely unknown.

Corruption loves rhetoric and hypocrisy. In other words, it hates action and no-nonsense straightforwardness. And it's waiting to see what Thailand will do next.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Real-action-needed-in-war-on-corruption-30243770.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-22

Prayuth is a real hero and corruption fighter. He disclose the corruption in the microphones purchase, and stop it. Yingluck and mark did absolutely nothing.

One case involving microphones in which he reacted to the publicity, he didn't disclose it.

Now let's see the follow up if any.

The Election Commission sent ' observers ' to the Scottish referendum vote, why , what relevance to LoS ? I thought he said all these freebie jollies were to be stopped.

Every government here that ever was has made fighting corruption a ' priority '. It will take a lot more than stopping a microphone purchase to prove he's a hero and corruption fighter.

• Like 1

Prayuth is a real hero and corruption fighter. He disclose the corruption in the microphones purchase, and stop it. Yingluck and mark did absolutely nothing.

Like most Thais you are a true patriotic sheep like person, wave your little flag and don't think.

Edited by soalbundy

Another corruption article. A bit naively done and not addressing some core points like 'appropriate punishment' and 'protection by buddy-system' (police, political party, etc.). Other than that, it is important to keep the corruption problem in the public eye, so thanks for that.

If you are a guest in Thailand and not a citizen it is foolish to believe your negative comments will not affect you in time.

With sophisticated online government surveillance, utilizing keywords, negative comments may even be dangerous for you.

Many Thai citizens read these forums and all the negative nonsense will in time make them hate you more!

Yesterday on the BTS I saw a Thai women wearing a T shirt that read in English, 'I never did like you.' Perhaps she is a Thai Visa forum reader!

Rather than complaining, leave! Don't mess it up for the rest of us who over many years have learned patience, going with the flow and enjoying freedoms here most countries no longer have.

• Like 1

Did any of the previous military take overs knock down illegal buildings, rid beaches of illegal operators, arrest crooked rice dealers , pull down resorts built on park land,stop illegal rip offs in the travel industry and many other illegal activities? If not maybe this will be the first to actually do something. Perhaps some of you who have been through a couple of take overs can tell us new guys what the previous coups delivered? If anything.

• Like 2

If you are a guest in Thailand and not a citizen it is foolish to believe your negative comments will not affect you in time.

With sophisticated online government surveillance, utilizing keywords, negative comments may even be dangerous for you.

Many Thai citizens read these forums and all the negative nonsense will in time make them hate you more!

Yesterday on the BTS I saw a Thai women wearing a T shirt that read in English, 'I never did like you.' Perhaps she is a Thai Visa forum reader!

Rather than complaining, leave! Don't mess it up for the rest of us who over many years have learned patience, going with the flow and enjoying freedoms here most countries no longer have.

I'm hardly in a position to decide which comments are foolish. I have been known, on numerous occassions, to practice that behavior very effectively.

Choice, freedom, patience and tolerance are wonderful commodities. I would rather not be the merchant who decides how much and to whom they will be dispensed.

Ringing the bell of caution in one hand, whilst the other hand directs those who complain to exit the country, is an effective formula for being ignored.

Live and Let Live.

Edited by Benmart

“Corruption loves rhetoric and hypocrisy”

What do you call a history of twelve successive military coups followed by coup-supported / coup-appointed governments and repeated abrogation of chuman rights versus two freely-elected governments? What the Thai People learn is that the rule of law is elusive and not practically acceptable by those who hold the real power over their lives. How then can one blame the Thai culture for embracing corruption?

• Like 1

Suriya4, on 22 Sept 2014 - 07:58, said:

Rubbish, it was public outcry. As for corruption, let's see where it goes, bearing mind they need to start at the top, that includes government AND military alike, only then can the fight work down the ladder. I suspect we might see a few bottom feeders charged, some fined, some imprisoned but many on bail. Am I cynical.... you bet I am.

• Like 1

Kabula, on 22 Sept 2014 - 11:55, said:

Regarding the "T" shirt... many Thais do not know what is on the shirt, next time ask her.

so you prefer to be totally ignorant, someone that does as he is told and not have a mind of his own, cannot tell the truth because that will upset thais to learn that some of them are criminals and are corrupt thugs. While that may suite you, people that do have a brain and are capable of thinking for themselves tend to tell the truth and voice their opinions, maybe you should try it instead of sucking up to whoever due to the lack of intestinal fortitude. Another reason for her to be wearing it is because she cannot speak english and doesnt understand what it means(like a lot of thais that wear stupid t shirts) or even that she does not have the knowledge to actually learn english. Are you now going to post all these answers to the general, seems that would really suit someone with your tendencies. As for your last sentence, dont you mean someone that licks other peoples boots/bends over for them if you think it will make them like you, truly pathetic.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

rickirs, on 22 Sept 2014 - 12:37, said:

“Corruption loves rhetoric and hypocrisy”

What do you call a history of twelve successive military coups followed by coup-supported / coup-appointed governments and repeated abrogation of chuman rights versus two freely-elected governments? What the Thai People learn is that the rule of law is elusive and not practically acceptable by those who hold the real power over their lives. How then can one blame the Thai culture for embracing corruption?

It's twelve "successful" coups..... since 1932 there's been 19 coups. Since 1932 approx. 50% of the time Thailand has been under military control, so which government has been the BIGGEST failure.

Yes I already knew plenty of Thais hate me, those same people also hate and look down on Lao and Cambodians

and many very much aspire to be like Koree, Yippoon or Chinee

but guess what?

Many of those people look at Thais (all Thais, not just the darker skin ones) the same way as many Thais do Farang/Lao/Khmer.

The point being

Xenophobia, racism, hate and rampant nationalism does not come from kind intelligent people, no matter where they are from.

Corruption has nothing to do with skin colour.

Personally I don't believe there was any corruption in the microphone purchase other than buying a higher level of

equipment than was needed. Those microphones were a high end model and very expensive. Prayuth may or may

not be a hero in the fight against corruption. (I hope he is) However as they say "The proof of the pudding is in the tasting"

When big wigs go to jail for corruption in the rice scheme I will know he is a hero. Not sure if Yingluck is guilty of anything

more than incompetence/stupidity but I am sure there were many in her administration who are guilty. Bring in the

forensic accountants, follow the money, prosecute and jail the guilty. Simple, but it will take time and effort. coffee1.gif

My wife has a T shirt with the same slogan. She speaks faultless English but bought the garment because she liked the design, nothing else. Other Thais will do the same, just as they buy Union Jack T shirts, not because they are fans of Great Britain but because they like the design. For most Thais this forum isn't even a blip on the radar, they've never heard of it and if they stumbled upon it they wouldn't understand the utterly alien language in it. Perhaps you're being a tad paranoid :)
  • Like 1