Bangkok sets target to reduce private car use by 30 percent in 15 years

webfact

BMA sets target to reduce private car use by 30 percent in 15 years

7-17-2014-1-20-30-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has set an ambitious target to reduce the use of private cars in the city by 30 percent in the next 15 years and to encourage more motorists to turn to mass transit as an alternative mode of travelling, announced Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra at the Bangkok Car Free Day 14 at Sanam Luang this morning.

In order to achieve the target, the governor said that five measures were to be implemented. They include: implementation of 13 rail routes which will be the main system of travelling in the city; acceleration of the construction of the Grey monorail system and the extension of the Green Line from Bang Wa to Taling Chan; implementation of feeder system to facilitate the travelling of commuters from their houses to train terminals; publicity campaign to encourage motorists to walk or to use bicycles instead of their cars; and improvement of traffic management.

The governor said that the City Hall planned to double bicycle lanes from currently 30 routes so cyclists will have greater choices of travelling.

Mr Prinya Thevanarumit, vice rector of Thammasat University’s studeyt affairs, hailed the city administration’s attempt to promote the use of bicycles in the city. He suggested that a law on the use of bicycles should be introduced.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bma-sets-target-reduce-private-car-use-30-percent-15-years/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-22

Though you have to wonder what sort of government promotes buying your first car and include those who live in metropolis with widespread public transport. And probably well above 5% more like 15% (im guesstimating) of land already given over to roads, placing a quite definite limit on capacity expansion vs its cost.

It seems that this is the pie in sky declaration's seasons, with all the "crackdowns" and the vowing

this and that, and now comes reducing traffic in 15 years that is more like " let's put it out there,

as none of us will be around in 15 years anyway" gambit....

• Like 1

There are 30 bikes lanes in Bangkok? The only one I ever saw was the one on the footpath, under the flower stall outside Villa.

I believe the bike lanes they are referring to are the lanes police use to make you pay if you don't drive your motorcycle in.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'm sure I speak for all other drivers in Bangkok when I say that it will be great when the government. Convince 30% of the other drivers on the roads to use public transportation instead.

It will certainly then be more convenient for me to drive my car on the roads with 30% less cars on the road

(Of course thats the problem... Which 30 % want to sacrifice for the other 70% ' a convenience )

• Like 1

Since the bulk of the money, and power, in Thailand resides in Bangkok, the PTP Thaksin government thought this would be a good joke; Make Bangkok roads impassable through gridlock and then all those non-Northern, non-Isaan, Bangkokian 'Elites' would have to sit in traffic with the regular Somchais. Most people in Bangkok didn't vote for PTP Thaksin so what does he care.

As for reducing traffic by 30% in fifteen years? More power to them. I wish them all success. I think it is a lofty goal. Targets are always nice to have so you know in which direction to shoot. 50% percent traffic reduction would be better; go big or go home.

Bangkok could cut its congestion by nearly 50% overnight by following Mexico City's traffic congestion plan. All cars with even numbered license plates are allowed to drive on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and odd numbered license plates on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday and everybody is allowed to drive on Sunday. Very large fine for driving with the wrong license plates. Delivery vehicles pay for a permit to drive all days. Rich people have cars with both types of number plates.

There are 30 bikes lanes in Bangkok? The only one I ever saw was the one on the footpath, under the flower stall outside Villa.

I believe the bike lanes they are referring to are the lanes police use to make you pay if you don't drive your motorcycle in.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This 'bike lane' on lower Sukhumvit (odd numbered sois) was cut off completely by vendors in many places.

post-102528-0-88729300-1411355401_thumb.

But.....there's Lumpini park...Chutuchuk park....um....???

I personally, would love to be able to ride the bike around town.....but not a Thai town!

If they started firstly to see upon correct use of the bicycle lanes (ONLY bicycles and NOT motorcycles!) AND not double, but create about 5000 bicycle lanes it would be a start!

I would love to come to work by bicycle, but I don't want to die yet!

Another option they should start to promote immediately is carpooling! Let them create special lanes for cars with more people and reduced toll fares etc. This works in different countries, so why not here?

Of course if they introduced the licence plate restriction, odd numbers on alternative days and even numbers on the other days, this could have a double bonus.

1. Reduce the number of cars on the road each day by 50%

2. Increase new car sales in order that everyone that can afford it, to purchase a second car with the odd/even licence plate.

Please don't let anyone take the above comment seriously

just make the entire BKK road system into a tram system 24/7 with thousands of carriages ... problem solved

UMM... Not really what about delivery vehicles, disabled people, elderly? What happens when these trams break down (which I would guess would take 2 days), and if they need to maintain or upgrade the system? - there goes a flying pig. And one last one - where is the money coming from?

the population growing, maybe. More eligible drivers, and they want to reduce the number of cars?

Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the infrastructure to not only handle it but make is more efficient all the way around?

that would create jobs, especially for the migrant workers.

I'm sure when the BMA fix the air pollution problem, get rid of all the aggressive rabid street dogs and crazy drivers/motorcyclists, they might find more people using bicycles.

As for public transport, well they better think about something to replace the BTS....many people don't want to walk up and down flights and flights of stairs carrying shopping and bags or those with children or bad knees.

Oh and probably the should think about reducing the fares as well, for my family is still cheaper (and easier) driving than it ever will be riding the bus or the train.

My advice is, since Thailand has some many public servants, just move all government ministries out of Bangkok? That could relocate about million people.

Edited by Time Traveller