Tsunami In Java - Lessons For Thailand?

Sing_Sling

Straits Times:

Indonesia failed to sound tsunami warning

No warning was sounded because officials withheld a regional alert and there were no working detection buoys in place. -

Quite amazing, really. Indonesian officials had been given the warning that a tsunami was forming and simply didn't relay the information to sound alarms in the areas that would be affected.

The relevance to Thailand is quite obvious - - - I seem to remember a tsunami alert not being given here as well because of the fear that it would damage the tourist industry. Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm.

How safe do we feel here about the tsunami warning system when other issues dominate and affect the situation?

Edited by Sing_Sling

I wouldn't trust the tsunami warning system here at all. The gov't just doesn't have a good track record and taking care of anything and doing anything right. Too many things are done on the cheap.

Fortunately, I am not much of a beach person to begin with, so I seldom get too close to the ocean!

My thoghts exactly, Scott. I wonder how people feel that live in the Indian Ocean coast, or even more specifically Phuket.

I'd be worried as I am sure the early-warning system is just as effective as most other government projects in Thailand.

Apparently the people in the affected areas felt the quake, but didn't think to associate it with a likely tsunami. Jakarta was notified, but didn't pass on the info.

The tsunami also hit Australia. People camping on the beach at the remote Steep Point (the western most part of Oz) were hit by a 2 metre wave. Camping gear was scattered and a 4wd vehicle moved about 10 metres. The campers scrambled to higher ground.

No warning systems on the beaches in Australia!

Straits Times:
Indonesia failed to sound tsunami warning

No warning was sounded because officials withheld a regional alert and there were no working detection buoys in place. -

Quite amazing, really. Indonesian officials had been given the warning that a tsunami was forming and simply didn't relay the information to sound alarms in the areas that would be affected.

The relevance to Thailand is quite obvious - - - I seem to remember a tsunami alert not being given here as well because of the fear that it would damage the tourist industry. Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm.

How safe do we feel here about the tsunami warning system when other issues dominate and affect the situation?

Actually, I think they were given a warning that a tsunami could be forming, as there were no buoys in place there would be no way to detect a tsunami forming.

But, regardless, I tend to agree with your assessment:

I'd be worried as I am sure the early-warning system is just as effective as most other government projects in Thailand.