Do I have to transfer my current visa to a new passport?

Hi,

I received my new passport from the embassy in Bangkok today. They gave me also my invalid old passport.

Now I have to apply for another visa in Laos. Can I cross the border with both passports or do I have to go to an Immigration office first to transfer the visa?

Thanks!

Verwie

• Like 1

If you only have a Visa and not an extension of stay (Married, Retirement, work etc etc) you can just go to the border, they will stamp you out in your new passport.

This is correct - please read it carefully and make sure you understand the difference between a visa and an extension! I had an extension of stay based on marriage and went to the airport with both passports expecting to be able to leave and re-enter the week after. I was wrong. What an expensive trip that turned out to be!

• Like 1

I will be getting my new passport in October,hopefully. In December i have to renew my retirement extension for another year. Should i get my visa extension transferred from my old passport to the new one before December ?

Yes, if you have an extension of stay (issued by Immigration) you have to go to immigration to get this done, but I'm not sure if you can wait till December.

I will get a new passport early next year and as soon as I have it, I will go to Immigration and get my extension transferred, and my extension expires in September 2015

Edited by MJCM

I will be getting my new passport in October,hopefully. In December i have to renew my retirement extension for another year. Should i get my visa extension transferred from my old passport to the new one before December ?

Yes, if you have an extension of stay (issued by Immigration) you have to go to immigration to get this done, but I'm not sure if you can wait till December.

I will get a new passport early next year and as soon as I have it, I will go to Immigration and get my extension transferred, and my extension expires in September 2015

Thanks for that, i wouldn't have done so otherwise as i thought it wasn't necessary. Do you know what it costs ?

^ I think it's free.

Btw: If you go to Immigration also take the letter with you the Embassy gives you that you have been issued a new passport

Its not done at the Embassy anymore its been outsourced to this 'Trendy building' place, do they give you the letter or do you have to go extra to the Embassy to get it......that will cost.

^ I think it's free.

Btw: If you go to Immigration also take the letter with you the Embassy gives you that you have been issued a new passport

Its not done at the Embassy anymore its been outsourced to this 'Trendy building' place, do they give you the letter or do you have to go extra to the Embassy to get it......that will cost.

Sorry I don't know about this procedure for you guys, but my embassy will give me a Document (free of charge (not really as it's included in the price of the Passport ;) ) that states something like this: Name ... has been issued a new passport Nr .... to replace Passport Nr .....

I just did this, on an extension. The US Embassy still provides the letter and it was necessary. Two calls to Immigration asking how long I could wait before doing the transfer never got a clear answer, but both officers said "Very soon!"

^ I think it's free.

Trendy does not do them. You have to go to the embassy to get it. It just takes a few minutes and it is free.

• Like 1

^ I think it's free.

Sorry I don't know about this procedure for you guys, but my embassy will give me a Document (free of charge (not really as it's included in the price of the Passport wink.png ) that states something like this: Name ... has been issued a new passport Nr .... to replace Passport Nr .....

Soalbundy - unless it is very convenient , wait until December and arrange the transfer at the time of doing the extension.

It is not free at my immigration it costs 500 Baht - but, the did not ask for an embassy letter.

i will stand corrected but I think the British Embassy do not charge for the pointless letter confirming your new passport.

^ I think it's free.

That is assuming the OP is British but he didn't state what nationality. If US then a letter is automatically given to him for immigration and is no charge.

• Like 1

Did this just yesterday. Went to the Chamchuri building with only the two passports, nothing else. A few minutes, a few smiles and it was all over - painless. Once again, kudos to the staff for their classy attitude.

BTW, love the way the staff have provided toys for kids to play with in that office. Some of you might say kids should not be there, or should be kept on a leash. But seeing kids playing (even if they can be noisy at times) always lightens my mood.

Edit: NZ passport, no letter.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

I am still waiting for my new passport from bk due to their incompetence so am so far on 23 days overstay - from tourist visa and Laos refused me entry as 4 months left on old passport - when I receive my new passport and go to Laos to get new non b ( as have been offered employment and have all the paperwork )

1 - will I need to transfer cancelled exit out of Thailand to new passport

2- will my overstay be stamped in my old or new passport

3 - will there be a problem getting new non b

Thanks

I am still waiting for my new passport from bk due to their incompetence so am so far on 23 days overstay - from tourist visa and Laos refused me entry as 4 months left on old passport - when I receive my new passport and go to Laos to get new non b ( as have been offered employment and have all the paperwork )

1 - will I need to transfer cancelled exit out of Thailand to new passport

2- will my overstay be stamped in my old or new passport

3 - will there be a problem getting new non b

Thanks

They will transfer the relevant stamps when you pay your overstay on departure from the country.

You should get the letter from the embassy about you getting a new passport. If you are leaving at Nong Kai they may ask for it.

They will stamp the overstay in your new passport because that will be where your departure stamp will be.

No problem to get your visa.

• Like 1

If the Visa in your old passport is still valid, you can get it transferred to your new passport at an Immigration office

A valid visa issued by an embassy or consulate cannot be transferred you have to use both passport until it expires.

Only extensions of stay are transferred.

• Like 2

^ I think it's free.

Sorry I don't know about this procedure for you guys, but my embassy will give me a Document (free of charge (not really as it's included in the price of the Passport wink.png ) that states something like this: Name ... has been issued a new passport Nr .... to replace Passport Nr .....

Soalbundy - unless it is very convenient , wait until December and arrange the transfer at the time of doing the extension.

It is not free at my immigration it costs 500 Baht - but, the did not ask for an embassy letter.

i will stand corrected but I think the British Embassy do not charge for the pointless letter confirming your new passport.

This is a free service.

I was not asked for the letter, just took in old and new passports. Some places have apparently been asking for the letter. You can apply for a new extension four weeks before the old one expires.

If you do not have the letter, I strongly recommend you apply as early as possible so you have four weeks to get a letter.

I have heard that the UK embassy even charges for the air you breath whilst in the building.

There seems to be confusion in the posts.

I have just renewed my retirement visa, in six weeks I have to return to the UK for medical treatment. My passport has over a year and a half to run before it expires and I was going to renew it whilst in the UK.

The agent that handled my Visa renewal said on my return to Thailand I need to show the expired passport with the Valid visa in, and my new passport. Then once back in Thailand I can get the visa and multi re-entry permit transferred to my new passport.

Given that the agent is doing this frequently I assume this is correct - of course unless someone knows differently.

(I had a friend who had a 12 month 'O' non immigration visa transferred from his old expired passport to the new one at the Liverpool consulate for a fee of £10)

@Matman.

Correct but please don't forget that there is a different procedure when you renew your Passport while IN Thailand or when you renew your Passport OUTSIDE Thailand.

You describe the procedure when OUT of Thailand.

I will describe the whole procedure here

1st when you have only a Visa

- Just go to a Border (with both your passports) and get stamped out in your NEW Passport

2nd Renew Passport in Thailand with Extension of Stay

- Get new passport, take new passport (with letter from Embassy (may be required)) to Immigration and get extension transferred to your NEW passport. When Leaving Thailand (need re-entry permit btw) you will be stamped out of Thailand in your NEW passport. When you Come back, just show your NEW Passport and you will be stamped in till the date your Extension of Stay expires.

3rd Renew Passport outside of Thailand with valid Extension of stay (and most importantly if you have a RE-Entry Permit)

- Get New Passport, fly into Thailand, show them your OLD Passport (with extension of stay) and you will be stamped into Thailand in your NEW passport. After arriving go to Immigration and get your extension of stay transferred)

Edited by MJCM

There seems to be confusion in the posts.

I have just renewed my retirement visa, in six weeks I have to return to the UK for medical treatment. My passport has over a year and a half to run before it expires and I was going to renew it whilst in the UK.

The agent that handled my Visa renewal said on my return to Thailand I need to show the expired passport with the Valid visa in, and my new passport. Then once back in Thailand I can get the visa and multi re-entry permit transferred to my new passport.

Given that the agent is doing this frequently I assume this is correct - of course unless someone knows differently.

(I had a friend who had a 12 month 'O' non immigration visa transferred from his old expired passport to the new one at the Liverpool consulate for a fee of £10)

You don't have visa you have an extension of stay based upon retirement. That can be transferred and an annotation of info about your last visa entry will be done in your new passport at immigration. And your re-entry permit.

When you enter the country you will you show both passports to show your re-entry permit in the old passport. They will then stamp you into the country in your new passport.

Liverpool probably issued his visa. It is a rarity for the visa to be transferred at an embassy or consulate. Most will tell you to use both passports until your visa expires.

• Like 1

If the Visa in your old passport is still valid, you can get it transferred to your new passport at an Immigration office

No. Visas are never transferred nor extended nor renewed. Visas are issued by embassies and consulates and not by Immigrations.

If you still need to use the visa, carry the old and new passport with you.

People on extensions of stay can get the relevant information that immigrations will need to use in future transferred to their new passport in the form of hand-stamps with hand-written notation.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

So...

I have a retirement visa that I got about a month ago.

With it came a 3 month permit to stay which I need to get renewed (of course) every three months.

I will get a new passport in about a month.

Not sure from what I just read-

Will I need to carry both passports for 9 months or so, so that immigration will see my visa each time which will be in my old passport, or will there be a note made in my new passport regarding my visa and that will do the trick?

OR will I need to go to immigration and have a new visa entered into my new passport?

Hi guys,

So...

With it came a 3 month permit to stay which I need to get renewed (of course) every three months.

Will I need to carry both passports for 9 months or so, so that immigration will see my visa each time which will be in my old passport, or will there be a note made in my new passport regarding my visa and that will do the trick?

OR will I need to go to immigration and have a new visa entered into my new passport?

I assume you have a multiple entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate and you have to leave and re-enter the country ever 90 day to get a new entry. If this is case you will need to show the visa in your old passport until it expires. Visas cannot be transferred at immigration.

Or do you have an extension of stay you applied for at immigration and are calling your 90 day reports renewals. This can be transferred.

Hi guys,

So...

"I have a retirement visa that I got about a month ago.

With it came a 3 month permit to stay"

The only thing that some people call a retirement visa is a Non-Imm O-A, which would be issued by an embassy outside Thailand, but when you enter the country on a non-Imm O-A, you get permission to stay for one year. So obviously that's not what you have unless you are confusing a 90 day report with this ( which I need to get renewed (of course) every three months.) Doing a 90 day report is not getting a visa renewed.

Did you get an extension of stay based on retirement at an immigrations office in Thailand? That would also be good for one year stay, but you need to report your address at immigrations roughly every three months. An extension of stay and related information would need to be transferred to a new passport, but visas are never transferred.

Maybe you got a non-Imm O at an embassy and you told them you planned to retire in Thailand ?? You can't get a visa renewed every three months, but if it is a multi-entry non-Imm O, you may have to exit the country and re-enter to get a new permission to stay. You give the immigrations officer at the border both passports and when you re-enter, they'll put the new permission to stay in your new passport, but you'll still need to show immigrations the visa in the old passport for any future entries.

If you got a non-imm O, why not go to immigrations during the last 30 days of your permission to stay and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. That would give you permission to stay for one year. They would put all the important information into your new passport, Just remember once you get the extension of stay, if you want to leave and return to Thailand you will need a re-entry permit. Don't use the non-Imm O visa in your old passport even if it is still valid.

90 day report is not a renewal of visa, it is just a report of your address.

Visas cannot be renewed.

An extension of stay is not a visa.

"retirement visa" does not exist, although some people call a Non-imm O-A a retirement visa.

Edited by Suradit69