Russian card skimmer arrested at Hua Mark, Bangkok

webfact

why in 2014

is there no ATM internal software, to detect any changes made to the machine / card reader or whatsoever ?

nice for the popo to let know everybody that one of the gang is caught, so they can move on to some other part of the country

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really helping themselves everyday now these Eastern so called Europeans, keep up the good work and you will definitely get visa upgrades.

Please remember to keep TAT up to date as they have a vested interest in how you are settling in here, in the Los.

If they can be of any assistance the Director , small frumpy lady, grey suit, specs who was the foreperson in all the promotions to bring you here will be only too glad to help.

Ive said before here , if she the Dir had done her homework with asking the US, UK for some free advice im sure they would have filled her in on a few details to be aware of.

Edited by phanangpete

put him in a cell filled with Ukranianscheesy.gifwai2.gif

He may well be a Ukrainian himself...

Many thousands of Ukrainians have bought Russian passports (the real ones) due to the simplified procedure of obtaining the Russian citizenship over the last 10 years in the Ukraine (before the crisis). I was told the cost was around $200 - $300, in Odessa, way back in 2006.

In fact there are more Ukrainians living in Thailand than the real Russians nowadays...

If you meet Russian speaking people in Thailand chances are 50/50 they are in fact Ukrainians.

Ukraine is part of Russia it seems; if Ukrainians can can speak Russian and obtain Russian passports

Easy fix attach tamper sensors to ATM'S if disturbed an alarm goes off spraying the person with florescent Orange paint. Then even a blind cop could find them.cheesy.gif

Lots of blind cops in Thailand, question is what are they blind to.

What happened to the swipe atm like they have had in the states for umpteen years , are they no good ?

In the UK they have found a way to swipe your card while it is still in your pocket as they just walk past you.

I like the pin number only idea, why do we need a card?

Why do these very profitable banks have to wait for customers to detect these devices?

It doesn't really help that they are all over the place, a 7-11 may have 4-5 wrapped around it.

Not only an easy target for crooks to fit these skimmers, but a good area for muggers to hang around.

Thailand struggles to accept it is becoming crime ridden.

I am guessing, but perhaps these people do not make a transaction at the machine when they attach their skimmers, perhaps that event could flag a need for the machine to be checked.

CRIME
Russian man nabbed for installing ATM skimmer

The Nation

30243996-02_big.jpg
A Russian has been arrested for allegedly installing a "skimmer" device to steal PIN numbers of cardholders who used an automatic teller machine (ATM) at a convenience store in eastern Bangkok.

BANGKOK: -- The new device was said to be able to deter counter-skimmer measures that commercial banks in Thailand had devised to try to combat this type of fraud. Each skimmer can be installed on an ATM in only 16 seconds, police sources said.

The suspect was identified as Anton Lilin, 30. Police sources said he told them he would be killed by other members of the gang based in Russia if he revealed details of this crime to police.

Hua Mak police said they were looking for another Western-looking man seen with Lilin in surveillance camera footage, who had fled.

The suspect has been charged with possessing and using devices capable of stealing people's confidential data via electronic media or cards, and using forged media or cards with intent to steal, as well as illegal entry.

The sources said Lilin got anxious when stating that he belonged to an influential Russia-based racket and asked not to give further details apart from the fact that he and three compatriots had entered Thailand recently.

He was the group's technician tasked with installing the skimmer devices at ATM machines, which he said could be done in 16 seconds.

Tip-off from customers

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, Hua Mak police said they had arrested Lilin last Monday in a stakeout following tip-offs a day earlier by customers of the 7-Eleven branch.

Lilin appeared to match video footage and there was another Western-looking man, who did not show up with Lilin on the night he was arrested.

Pol Major Pheerarat Yoma, a Hua Mak station officer, said Lilin and the three other Russians entered Thailand four months ago and resided in Chon Buri.

The ATMs targeted for skimmer installation were located in areas where withdrawals of large amounts of money were frequent.

The skimmer was found to have previously been used on a Siam Commercial Bank ATM, he said.

Lilin told police many skimmer sets had been installed on ATMs of various banks, but no details were available on which banks they were. Interrogation of Lilin was ongoing, he said.

Bank clients' information including PIN numbers for their accounts would be saved and sent abroad, so that they could be extracted, processed, and eventually used to withdraw money from accounts, for which PIN numbers were stolen, Pheerarat said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Russian-man-nabbed-for-installing-ATM-skimmer-30243996.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-24

Channel 3 this morning and this story was pretty much the main headline, yet to hear ANYTHING about the Koh Tao situation considering there has been so much unfolding there. But nope, this Russian fool is headline news on Thailand's most watched TV channel clap2.gif

Why can't banks make clean streamlined ATM's.

Everybody move over to Bangkok Bank,where they at least have chipped cards.If the other banks take the hint,move back.It is our complacency that is the problem,vote with your feet and at least reward a bank that is making an effort.

Iv said it once and ill say it again, if the banks devised a way to use one time password sent to the users mobile phone it may iliminate alot of the card skimming, not fool proof but better....

That my friend is a brilliant idea except for the fact they would be charged the cost of the sms and of course not everyone has a mobile phone.

However why don't they do it at customer requests? They do when you use your credit card on line and I would be happy to pay 10 or 15 baht knwoing my 50 baht plus change I have in the ATM was safe.

First bank that does it has my vote and my money.

Another point a bit of subject why on earth don't they give your card back then the money you withdraw making it impossible to leave your card in the machine?...........I love Thais and Thailand but sometimes they just don't bloody think.

Edited by Tanlic
  • Like 1

Iv said it once and ill say it again, if the banks devised a way to use one time password sent to the users mobile phone it may iliminate alot of the card skimming, not fool proof but better....

That my friend is a brilliant idea except for the fact they would be charged the cost of the sms and of course not everyone has a mobile phone.

However why don't they do it at customer requests? They do when you use your credit card on line and I would be happy to pay 10 or 15 baht knwoing my 50 baht plus change I have in the ATM was safe.

First bank that does it has my vote and my money.

Another point a bit of subject why on earth don't they give your card back then the money you withdraw making it impossible to leave your card in the machine?...........I love Thais and Thailand but sometimes they just don't bloody think.

As you say it could be a service for people that request it, they could use SMS, id be happy to pay 100 baht a month for this service or they could use an authenticator app(or build it into there current smartphone apps)

i use 2 factor authentication on sites like facebook, hotmail, dropbox, icloud) and i just open the google authenticator app that has these different sites linked and it gives me a 6 digit code that changes every 15 seconds.

Putting your ATM card in and then press either the 'Request One time password option or 'Continue with ATM pin' or similar could reduce skimming on ATM and Point of Sale machines, not sure with technology these days why they dont.

put him in a cell filled with Ukranianscheesy.gifwai2.gif

He may well be a Ukrainian himself...

Many thousands of Ukrainians have bought Russian passports (the real ones) due to the simplified procedure of obtaining the Russian citizenship over the last 10 years in the Ukraine (before the crisis). I was told the cost was around $200 - $300, in Odessa, way back in 2006.

In fact there are more Ukrainians living in Thailand than the real Russians nowadays...

If you meet Russian speaking people in Thailand chances are 50/50 they are in fact Ukrainians.

Ukraine is part of Russia it seems; if Ukrainians can can speak Russian and obtain Russian passports

Well, it used to be for more than 50 years. The relations between 2 countries have deteriorated just recently. They always used to be the best of friends, just like USSR and China before 1965...