First hand encounter with corruption and extortion in Thailand(peoples stories)

Lukecan

I'm sure everyone has their own story. Let me start with mine.

I puked in some passage in khaosan(it was outside, not inside anyones shop), some guy working there saw me and yelled, the security guard came, they took me to a secluded place and demanded 1500thb, I paid the money as I didnt want to ruin my evening.

Would be glad if people shared their stories.

Edited by Lukecan
  • Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Troll, Are the TV member feeding you too much?

Don't think this is a troll, but if it was me I would have made the OP clean his own puke and not complain about asking him for the money to clean his mess.

I tried to puke in the most secluded place as possible. But I'm not complaining. 1500thb is a bit too much tho.

Nice catchy headline that has zero to do with corruption.

My case is extortion.

Were you threatened with violence ? If so, then yes, thats extortion.... I don't see corruption in this case though.

If you were genuinely ill and had no other option then I feel those around you should have been more sympathetic instead of being opportunistic and requesting cash.

If you were drunk then I doubt there will be much sympathy.

The 1500 baht request was a starting point - others who've been around for a while may have offered something less for the inconvenience of cleaning up someone else's vomit.

EDIT - Op was not drunk. An ill person was taken advantage of, already feeling terrible he was then pressured in to paying what seems to be an excessive amount of cash. I'm sure he just wanted to get out of there and get home ASAP... I feel sympathetic towards the OP in this case, but also no one wants anyone throwing up in their 'area'....

Best course of action: Perhaps offer a reasonable sum (THB 300), apologise and walk off.

Edited by richard_smith237

Nice catchy headline that has zero to do with corruption.

My case is extortion.

Were you threatened with violence ? If so, then yes, thats extortion.... I don't see corruption in this case though.

If you were genuinely ill and had no other option then I feel those around you should have been more sympathetic instead of being opportunistic and requesting cash.

If you were drunk then I doubt there will be much sympathy.

The 1500 baht request was a starting point - others who've been around for a while may have offered something less for the inconvenience of cleaning up someone else's vomit.

It is extortion since I did not voluntarily pay.They took me to a secluded place and demand I pay, I had no other choice. If I was drunk I'd probably put up resistance, I was 100% sober.

Someone feels ill, throws up in a public area and then gets taken aside, bullied and is extorted into paying 1500 baht. I find this story extremely difficult to believe.

My thoughts on this that if the story is true, than perhaps the security guard had good reason for his actions, for example the OP was intoxicated with drink or drugs or both. Otherwise, sorry, no way.

In answer to the OP`s question: there have been occasions when shops, restaurants and so on have tried to over charge me, but I can honest say I have never been a victim of corruption and extortion in Thailand.

They might of thought I was drunk.

I am not lying.

I havent encountered corruption either. Just asking if anyone has.

Look I'm not trying to trash the country, maybe they found it disrespectful that I puked inside the passage, I don't know. But I felt like a loser after paying the 1500thb, big blow to my self confidence. I didnt put up any resistance since It was my first time in the country.

Edited by Lukecan

Haven't you ever heard of a toilet? The guard just came to the conclusion you were another drunk bum.

So scamming him out of 1500 baht is ok then, right?

We live in a free market economy. Negotiation is always possible.

Haven't you ever heard of a toilet? The guard just came to the conclusion you were another drunk bum.

So scamming him out of 1500 baht is ok then, right?

We live in a free market economy. Negotiation is always possible.

I agree with this, stupid of me to give into their demands straight away, after knowing the thai people now I probably would of got it solved for 500thb If I encountered a situation like that again.

Edited by Lukecan

I once puked in a fountain outside the Four Seasons Hotel. No fine or trouble. Was actually instead offered a bottle of cold water, which was pretty nice. Looking back, the situation was quite funny and stupid, but not something I was proud of doing at the time. If me, I would actually have fined myself.

So OP, you think that 1,500 Baht is too much.

How little would you personally accept to clean up someone else's vomit?

How long does it take to clean up vomit?

5 minutes at most

1500thb for 5 minute work.

And Isnt the garbage man of the municipality supposed to clean it up? I leave at least $3000-4000 on my 2 week trip there, isnt that a fair contribution to the economy?

Edited by Lukecan

5 minutes at most

So, answer my question, how little would you personally accept to clean up someone else's vomit?

Why did you puke if sober? Where was the security guard from? Where had you been and what were you doing in KSR? What day/night was this? What was the weather like? What was the nearest landmark?

It was around 10-11pm

The weather was normal

I ate thai noodles at some local place with a girl I met on tinder, I drank only 50cl of beer on top of it, not enough to puke! It was probably the security guard of the passage, definitely not a cop. I dont remember the nearest landmark this happened 4 months ago.

Why did you puke if sober? Where was the security guard from? Where had you been and what were you doing in KSR? What day/night was this? What was the weather like? What was the nearest landmark?

Why do you keep feeding the troll?

5 minutes at most

So, answer my question, how little would you personally accept to clean up someone else's vomit?

I would clean it for free If the person was sick.

You forgot to ask

How much did she weigh? Did she sweat a lot?

• Like 2