First hand encounter with corruption and extortion in Thailand(peoples stories)

Lukecan

Look I'm not trying to trash the country, maybe they found it disrespectful that I puked inside the passage, I don't know. But I felt like a loser after paying the 1500thb, big blow to my self confidence. I didnt put up any resistance since It was my first time in the country.

You mean you lost face?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I'm not trying to trash the country, maybe they found it disrespectful that I puked inside the passage, I don't know. But I felt like a loser after paying the 1500thb, big blow to my self confidence. I didnt put up any resistance since It was my first time in the country.

You mean you lost face?

I just hope no one encounters a situation like this, getting extorted is a terrible feeling, 1500thb is not big money, but you definitely feel bad after encountering something like this. Exactly, I lost face.

Edited by Lukecan

Back to the actual topic.

I once payed a police officer a "fine" of 100thb (officers suggestion) for not wearing a helmet while driving a motorbike i Kanchanaburi. But to be honest, I would rather pay 100thb and move along, than go to the police station and spend hours probably being fined even more. So this was a good thing for me and the police officer. Win - Win!

I have been stopped by an officer on Sukhumvit (nana) for littering. It was a cigarette butt and YES I did it. I managed to move along by paying him 300thb cash. I know I should not litter and I prefer not to do so, but we all know the situation with garbage cans in public places in Bangkok (for example when living in HK I didn't litter because around every corner of the city they have conveniently placed large orange coloured trash cans). Once again, this was the most convenient solution for me, so I'm not complaining.

These are small things, but I guess they count as some type of "corruption" from the police, accepting personal bribes instead of doing it according to the book.

• Like 1

Back to the actual topic.

I once payed a police officer a "fine" of 100thb (officers suggestion) for not wearing a helmet while driving a motorbike i Kanchanaburi. But to be honest, I would rather pay 100thb and move along, than go to the police station and spend hours probably being fined even more. So this was a good thing for me and the police officer. Win - Win!

I have been stopped by an officer on Sukhumvit (nana) for littering. It was a cigarette butt and YES I did it. I managed to move along by paying him 300thb cash. I know I should not litter and I prefer not to do so, but we all know the situation with garbage cans in public places in Bangkok (for example when living in HK I didn't litter because around every corner of the city they have conveniently placed large orange coloured trash cans). Once again, this was the most convenient solution for me, so I'm not complaining.

These are small things, but I guess they count as some type of "corruption" from the police, accepting personal bribes instead of doing it according to the book.

: ) Thank you for getting the derailed topic back on rail :)

1500 baht to a security guard? You mean the issan farmer security guards with their uniforms, whistles and clickty clicky black boots? The ones who do nothing but salute, whistle and sleep on the job? Man, if you paid one of those blokes, you deserve to lose your money...

YEP EXACTLY ONE OF THOSE GUYS.

Didn't see him wearing a whistle tho.

It was my 3rd day in the country, I didn't even know what isaan was.

thais are like that with foreigners, they are always trying to make the day when they have a chance

I understand that the guy paid because it was his first time in the land, now he knows how thais are

probably next time he will be more harsh and less friendly with the scammers

1500 thb it's a week's work for many people in thailand