An Americans Musings in Thailand

JeffreyO

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And yet the specifics of what I was musing were declared initially. Though I do see this as having been hijacked now. I shall be happy to no longer respond to it as many of these posters appear more xenophobic than the Thai's they complain about.

Edited by JeffreyO

Actually, most of the world has their own unique way of eating. When I was in iraq, people would eat with their right hand and wipe their asses with the left. Not the way I would live but it's the way they have for a long, long time. So be it. Now either please keep the thread on topic or don't post on it.

As you become familiar with Thailand you will realize that forks and spoons were introduced as a matter of law by the Cultural Mandates in the 1940's. Before that and still many Thai people eat with their hands especially sticky rice which is balled up and then popped in the mouth. When you make a point of the differences between your culture and the dominant culture you come across as a bit of a noob. Americans are not now generally very well received abroad. But of course you will find out this as your foreign experience grows.

Edited by thailiketoo

Actually, most of the world has their own unique way of eating. When I was in iraq, people would eat with their right hand and wipe their asses with the left. Not the way I would live but it's the way they have for a long, long time. So be it. Now either please keep the thread on topic or don't post on it.

As you become familiar with Thailand you will realize that forks and spoons were introduced as a matter of law by the Cultural Mandates in the 1940's. Before that and still many Thai people eat with their hands especially sticky rice which is balled up and then popped in the mouth. When you make a point of the differences between your culture and the dominant culture you come across as a bit of a noob. Americans are not now generally very well received abroad. But of course you will find out this as your foreign experience grows.

Interesting as I've probably been around far more of the world than you and have had nothing but positive experiences being an American traveling. I suppose that does depend on ones attitude more than their nationality, though.

I met some pretty terrible Europeans that entire bars were complaining about since arriving but I assume this is the exception, not the rule.

Edited by JeffreyO

I wasn't complaining about the Thais or anyone else but if I had to complain it would be about Americans such as yourself who make it sometimes difficult to be an American anywhere other than America.

Like Jerry Seinfeld: I don't understand why-y-y-y

And yet the specifics of what I was musing were declared initially. Though I do see this as having been hijacked now. I shall be happy to no longer respond to it as many of these posters appear more xenophobic than the Thai's they complain about.

You needn't be so sensitive or defensive on an anonymous forum. Certainly you understand that starting a thread will result in other readers' responding. Free speech and all that.

By the way, is there a reason why you're refusing to disclose what part of Thailand you're at?

These forums are full of threads about complaints regarding Thai police parading people in public and ignoring the law when it comes to farangs. Corruption and unfair practices. These are all okay but I say it's interesting to see people eat absolutely everything with a second utensil and now I'm Lucifer? Pathetic.

You needn't be so sensitive or defensive on an anonymous forum. Certainly you understand that starting a thread will result in other readers' responding. Free speech and all that.

By the way, is there a reason why you're refusing to disclose what part of Thailand you're at?

I'm in Bangkok, Udom Suk area. I have not yet left Bangkok as I have had to take the time to purchase many household needs to setup my life here.

Again, I'm not trying to compare one culture to another. I'm just asking what are the things that you noticed that are slightly different to your own.

Why so many take someone as saying "This is different than what I'm accustomed to" as being "This is wrong and I'm right"?

You need to learn to be more "sabai sabai" ... your posts come off as very defensive and your observance of difference can appear to be condescending/judgmental. Perhaps if you mix some "positive" differences.

I'm also a musing American.

• Like 1

Interesting as I've probably been around far more of the world than you and have had nothing but positive experiences being an American traveling. I suppose that does depend on ones attitude more than their nationality, though.

I met some pretty terrible Europeans that entire bars were complaining about since arriving but I assume this is the exception, not the rule.

Well Pilgrim since I was in the United States Army in 1968 (USARV) and worked overseas for 40 years I doubt you've been around more than I. But carry on.......

• Like 1

Well Pilgrim since I was in the United States Army in 1968 (USARV) and worked overseas for 40 years I doubt you've been around more than I. But carry on.......

If that's true than I extend my apologies. Not uncommon to find those who like to talk about how well experienced they are when they've traveled around one region and claim to know the world.

When I first visited Thailand, I too was a bit taken aback, by the foreign (to me at the time) use of cutlery. I often wondered why, there was no knife with a Thai meal... But a knife and fork were provided if you had a farang meal. I got educated by the missus, when I got around to asking her why.... She reckons, that Thai food, is prepared in a way, that all the cutting has been done, during the preparation... and the pieces should be roughly bite size... and there is no need for a knife once food is served.. As was said earlier, the spoon goes in the mouth, and the fork is used to collect and push the food into the spoon..

Kinda makes sense to me.... One example that I find very common, and although they are not exclusively Thai, are spring rolls.... They are usually cut up into 3 or 4 bite size pieces... I don't *think* I have seen , or maybe, can't remember, seeing that in the west.

Edited by winnerinsix

As an American, I feel the need to tell you...you are not in America any more.

Get over it, this will never be America and most of us don't want it to be anything like America.

Now, as for your ED visa.....are you here looking for an education or just a place to play illegally?

The lie t play attitude is what has caused so much trouble for those who are here legitimately.

If you are just here to play..play out your tourist visa, spend your money and then go play somewhere else when it's gone.

Thailand is much less tolerant of cheaters than in the past.

As an American who has lived here a long time, I think the Thai spoon fork method is vastly superior to the western method (for foods you don't need to cut up ... Asian foods). In fact, I have a real problem with trips back the USA because there are times when I really, really want to use this method as it feels most logical and efficient. Sometimes I just do it and yes people do stare as if I am mentally challenged. Oh well!

I do suggest anyone living in Thailand adopt the Thai eating method, at least while living here.

I do use chopsticks for noodles (as Thais do) and also sometimes at Chinese restaurants for regular food.

• Like 1

As an American who has lived here a long time, I think the Thai spoon fork method is vastly superior to the western method (for foods you don't need to cut up ... Asian foods). In fact, I have a real problem with trips back the USA because there are times when I really, really want to use this method as it feels most logical and efficient. Sometimes I just do it and yes people do stare as if I am mentally challenged. Oh well!

I know what you mean. On a recent trip back to the UK I struggled to remember how to use a knife and fork. It felt rather clumsy, and I often ended up reaching for a spoon.

As an American, I feel the need to tell you...you are not in America any more.

Get over it, this will never be America and most of us don't want it to be anything like America.

Now, as for your ED visa.....are you here looking for an education or just a place to play illegally?

The lie t play attitude is what has caused so much trouble for those who are here legitimately.

If you are just here to play..play out your tourist visa, spend your money and then go play somewhere else when it's gone.

Thailand is much less tolerant of cheaters than in the past.

Your abysmal attitude is appalling. I'm here to actually learn the language and enjoy myself in the meantime. I have significant investments from the US and have no concern regarding my income. How long have you been here? How did you stay? I hope you never abused the system.

The OP should know that to the Thai eye eating Thai food by sticking it with a fork looks crude, rude, and barbarian. Another reason to learn the local method for eating Thai food. Now if eating western food with a big steak, of course the western method will look cool.

Other end ... are you loving the bum gun yet? coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

-------------------------

Think I've got you there.

I was born in U.S. in 1946, left the country in 1966, and lived and worked overseas in a dozen countries until I retired to Thailand in 2010.

Yeah....

it's called "Cultural differences"

A whole ton of stuff is different here. If it is a list you want, then you better have lots of spare time to read it all.

I noticed that, on the positive side, you can get certain things here that you can not find elsewhere. Badger Milk is one of those items.

Edited by slipperylobster

Why would it be difficult? Because I wanted to comment on some slight differences? Your ability to read into something that is not there is astounding. Dumbfounding in fact.

Is your horse higher in Thailand, or back in the Good Ole US of A?

• Like 1

Why would it be difficult? Because I wanted to comment on some slight differences? Your ability to read into something that is not there is astounding. Dumbfounding in fact.

And what gave you that impression? People are people, no matter where they're from. You seem upset, Mr. Toad.

Again, I'm not saying that it should be like America. This was meant to be an entertaining thread but if you intend to troll it, I would respectfully ask you don't post on it.

If you are not saying it should be like home, then I would respectfully ask you to refrain from editorializing your musings.

...in the US... you would never use a fork and a spoon together.

This I found to actually annoy m

..which makes me feel forced.

...this makes me feel a little rushed.

Your first comment makes no sense.

Did you miss the irony that you respectfully ask peeps not to critique (troll) your posts while at the same time you editorialize your musings?

If you had refrained from editorializing, chances are no one would have trolled.

Edited by mikebike

And what gave you that impression? People are people, no matter where they're from. You seem upset, Mr. Toad.

Yes, this fork and spoon musing is rather taxing.

• Like 2