Vocational colleges in Bangkok to ban tattoos and piercings on new students

webfact

Vocational colleges to ban tattoos and piercings on new students
By Coconuts Bangkok

ta.jpg
Photo: Alexander Hotz

BANGKOK: -- To solve a long-running epidemic of violence among vocational ed students, education officials have zeroed in on the real culprits: ink and stainless steel.

Starting next year, the Vocational Education Commission has decreed that any incoming students with any tattoos or piercings will be denied entry to all of the 21 vocational colleges in Bangkok.

This comes amid much hand-wringing about the endemic problem of technical college gang violence, which in recent weeks has spiked into an epidemic, with six students accused last week of a series of revenge murders.

The colleges must also only accept students who are “well behaved,” or don't have violent records, according to a statement yesterday from Secretary Chaipreuk Sirirak.

Those students who do enroll will be required to wear their uniforms appropriately.

Vocational ed is typically an option for students looking to continue post-secondary education but without the scores to matriculate into a full university program. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/24/vocational-colleges-ban-tattoos-and-piercings-new-students

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-24

• Like 1

The tattoo thing makes sence to me. I have tats, but don't go around showing them off. Some kids think its cool and hard for them to have tattoos, why i don't really know. I suppose its like school kids with smoking, " you can't hang around with us if you don't smoke as your not cool enough"

The tattoo thing makes sence to me. I have tats, but don't go around showing them off. Some kids think its cool and hard for them to have tattoos, why i don't really know. I suppose its like school kids with smoking, " you can't hang around with us if you don't smoke as your not cool enough"

The metallic substance is added to each tattoo once you've seriously injured a student from your rival college. If you look closely at the pic, if you get all silvered then you get 10/10/.... you pass - via lecturere input etc, and fees are reduced; and as there are 10 tattoos given, when entering the alumni, if you so choose to reduce fees - that's the way it works.

Same as how large you can make the hole in your ear, wearing larger and larger black ear-rings.

• Like 1

If they ban ear piercings they will ban the majority of women. If they ban tattoos and piercings they will ban a great many young people who want to learn a marketable skill and earn an honest living. I'm not a fan of excessive piercings and tattoos but this is going too far.

I agree.

I was joking about the ears, but it is a policy that feels like it was made either 1) not from an educator, or 2) from an educator who does understand his/her students.

• Like 1

What enlightened think-tank came up with that one ?!

Without needing to attend classes these types can go about their unsavoury gang business unhindered, in fact it's more likely to make them pursue a life of crime if they are banned from being able to train to do something even semi-useful.

• Like 2

This makes me think back to when as a 19 year old I joined Glasgow Police and most of the senior men on the shift were ex- National Servicemen who at my age had been sent all over the world including some hot spots.

Many had picked up exotic diseases and Tattoos ! Just imagine if tats had barred them from joining the Polis ! Oh and the exotic diseases had been cured, they hoped giggle.gif

As a standard it's no standard.

• Like 1

How about expelling students caught defending the school, or attacking one? Or any other unhelpful and violent activities.

But if there are specific gang tats, yeah, those guys shouldn't get in.

If these are gangs with gang tats having gang fights what has it got to do with the schools apart from that's where they go during the day ? Are they fighting for school honour or just gang bragging rights ? It's classic tribal behaviour whatever the case. Some teenagers are just tearaways, when they get to that age (16-18?) I'm not sure school has much to do with it. I'm assuming they're not learning about morals and ethics in these vocational colleges. It seems more of a wider society issue to me.

"To solve a long-running epidemic of violence among vocational ed students, education officials have zeroed in on the real culprits: ink and stainless steel."

The fact that they think like this shows how clueless they are.

Ridiculous to claim that tattoos and piercings are the cause of violence.

Tattoo studios are all near Muay Thai stadiums.

None near Universities.

Muay Thai stadiums might appear to be inclined a tad bit more towards violence than Universities... Something macho about tattoos...

All students--female and male--with any kind of tattoo visible or not, and any piercing, including a generally socially-acceptable single ear piercing, in all vocational-technical schools in Bangkok should organize a protest, and stay out of class for one day. The classrooms and hallways would echo. The school administrators would have to employ hundreds of inspectors to be positioned at the gates of their hallowed institutions to weed out and reject those who fail the inspection.

No students = no money. I think the decree will be lifted in short order.

"To solve a long-running epidemic of violence among vocational ed students, education officials have zeroed in on the real culprits: ink and stainless steel."

The fact that they think like this shows how clueless they are.

Ridiculous to claim that tattoos and piercings are the cause of violence.

Tattoo studios are all near Muay Thai stadiums.

None near Universities.

Muay Thai stadiums might appear to be inclined a tad bit more towards violence than Universities... Something macho about tattoos...

Muay Thai is a sport where a certain degree of machismo is part of the competitors make up. Yes as a sport it involves violence but it is controlled violence as all fighting sports are. However, yes you will get the more aggressive specimens of humanity there, but doesn't mean they take part in mass street brawls as students seem to do.

Just because someone has tattoos and piercings it doesn't mean they are violent. It's mostly fashion statements or an attempt to stand out in the crowd, an expression of rebellion and individuality. Goodness knows, a lot of us have been there.

It does not follow though that such people are violent or inclined to brawling.

Doesn't mean they won't, I'm sure some do, but not all.

• Like 1

Hi new student (female)....any piercings???....please drop the knickers......!

Everyone....well many people.. (young and not so young) have tats.......these uni admin people are definately going back to the 19th century.........

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1

"Starting next year, the Vocational Education Commission has decreed that any incoming students with any tattoos or piercings will be denied entry to all of the 21 vocational colleges in Bangkok."

Good standard and predictability of success. That would eliminate the possibility of Thomas Edison gaining admission.

Perhaps the administrators would serve their institutions better if they conducted more in depth interviews and background checks on applicants. However, that would entail extra effort, and one of the reasons one aspires towards administrative positions is to lessen the workload, not increase it.

The world might have been better off with out him. Tesla was by far the better scientist. Edison was a business man and knew how to push his inferior ideas.

Great!

Top marks to those who have come up with this idea. Can only hope that authorities in other countries do the same.

Tatts and Piercings are nothing but an Outward Sign of Inward Stupidity.

If it is then it's an inward stupidity they are entitled to so laong as it doesn't harm anyone else.

normally tattoo is a great sign that the person is enough stupid to decorate his one and only body with pictures, ornaments and mottos. That he is managed by an animalistic, instinctive program which forces to do anything, even decorate skin, to show masculinity, aggressiveness and to stand out among other primative males to win the better place in primitive hierarchy and to attract more females. Women make tattoos more rare but obviously for the same reason - to attract males, that's why whores like to make tattoos so much.

as for me, tats is the best way to recognize a scum - decent people are lucky that outcasts are so dumb that they leave almost unerasable evidence of who they are. So you can look on one's body and realize what he or she is. It's like a sign of lily flower on foreheads of culprits in medieval France - just a view and you know who do you speak with.

when I choose employees first of all i look on the question "do you have any tattoos" in a questionnaire and if the candidate wrote yes - I reject him immediately - to save mine and candidate's time.

even in my personal life I tend to avoid friendship with tattooed people - I like to communicate with real humans, not dolls, operated by instinctive program.

PS religious tattoo is a completely different thing, and I treat those with a religious tattoos differently.

Edited by Jeffreyake