Britons' murder: Police claim Koh Tao investigation hindered by media

webfact

Anyone who goes to Koh Tao and spends money, is supporting the mafia.

.....sadly....back in the 90's I spent time staying at The Mountain Bungalow on KT,wonderful family-run operation,some years later the family was forced out of business by the forces behind the swift development of the island...the word "mafia" was used several times in describing their situation.

I had little interest in visiting the south again and now the thought only sickens me.

Life remains so cheap in this part of the world.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh come on. Stop blaming everything under the sun (including the sun) and look in the mirror. Each passing day shows more evidence that the Police, under the watchful eyes of the army or not, are but a bunch of bumbling muppets. A farce. Honestly, it is beyond funny.

You 2 are amazing. So the police should not be following up all possible leads? Most people believe this would have been pinned on some local patsy by now if it was not for all the foreign attention. Unfortunately it still might.

Now I will explain to you why the Press should direct information to the Police.

When the police get a tip from someone and they question the tipster they are looking for visual clues and possibly past know.edge of the credibility of the tipster in order to determine the legitimacy of what is reported. The tipster is also not usually well-rehearsed in his statement. The tipster is also able to provide information anonymously.

Contrast to when the news media receive a "tip" and then publish the tip. The tipster is no longer anonymous and so less likely to provide information. The tipster also has an opportunity to prepare for the police interview and even be swayed by what was reported in the media (which is never accurate). Or the tipster is never named by media sources and so the police spend more time following up than if they meet the tipster first hand and have the benefit of police questioning tactics.

blah blah blah,

can you please answer the question I asked, I know it's a hard one I can't find an answer,

but surely you can

Here is the question again, just so you don't avoid it again..

Can you list the thigs the police have done correctly in this case..

Pretty simple question..awaiting your answer..

"Police had to waste their time following leads from these rumours," Pol.Gen. Somyot told reporters yesterday."

No they didn't. They could have ignored them and carried on doing their job.

Oh sure, and then accused by every one of you guys for not following up on a lead from the Press.

Thai police are screwed either way by TV posters. Dam**d if they do and dam**d if they don't.

Both of you should already know it is the responsibility of an investigator to follow up on ANY lead.

This is typical Thai behavior to lay the blame for their own ineptness and incompetence on somebody other than themselves. Thai culture teaches them to save face by any means even at the expense of others.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Everybody is a genius about what constitutes Thai behavior.

I had never realized all Thai are identical.

I suppose its like Farang, eh? Brits are identical everywhere with identical motivations. Americans the same.

There is no individual thought and no unique identity amongst anyone in your books. If you have met one Thai then you have met them all, eh?

It's is a cultural characteristic..within that they maybe exceptions.

• Like 1

"police have accused foreign journalists and social media users of muddling their ongoing investigation "

It is quite obvious that the Royal Thai Police farce is quite capable of muddling their own investigation with no help at all needed from foreigners.

What is still not absolutely clear is whether it is deliberately being muddled to protect the people they feel obliged to protect, or whether it is being randomly muddled simply because of endemic incompetence and lack of ability or training.

Neither covers them in glory, and they deserve to be thoroughly humiliated either way. Only foreign media can do this, as Thai media are too cowed to do it. What other way could lead to future improvements?

It's common practice for police forces to make public appeals for information and to encourage results the request will indicate nothing is too trivial and everything will be checked. In practice this will involve an assessment and prioritisation for follow up.

The BIB are making it clear they will make an instant decision whether or not to follow up and if they don't like the source the info goes in the waste paper bin.

Foreigners not not apply.

Very professional.

There are few bad leads that shouldn't be examined, just leads that don't pan out. Unless a possible lead is clearly from a known nutcase or someone with no possibility of knowledge about the crime, it must be investigated at least somewhat. Yet even nutters can have a seed of truth in their ramblings.

McAnna may not have pin pointed the exact culprits, but there is a reasonable chance he has pin pointed people connected with the guilty.

Even if 'public' police statements rule them out, doesn't mean their circle of influence and their actions are not still under observation. I would find it useful to watch them after they think they got away scot free.

At least he has pin pointed the Mafia...because the police said there was no mafia or the people would have told them, well guess what, there is Mafia and the people have told you...Social media's not so bad after all...We'd have never known there were corrupt people and police on these islands...what a joke..

This is now beyond ridiculous! The Police have previously stated their faults on this investigation and now point their fingers at the media and social media sites...talking about not wanting to lose face. As I mentioned previously, the authorities must pay attention to any further comments as they are clearly contradicting themselves. We are at fault...we have not been meeting with the local authorities throughout this investigation, but we will from now on etc... to Police claim Koh Tao investigation hindered by media. Like I said, this is really beyond ridiculous now! They are trying to save face when they've already clearly lost it. The only thing that can save this situation now, is for the Military to step in or they save face if any is left at this point and ask for assistance from either Scotland Yard or the FBI. I'm sure that nobody would look at it as losing more face by asking for assistance and to be honest, I believe it will save them face as everybody wants these murdering animals be found and brought to justice.

Blaming the media and social media are worthless statements as someone said earlier here...they should base their investigation off of the evidence collected and not look to the media or socal media for a solid foundation to build their case on. Sure it's ok to look over these other sources they now blame for this terrible investigation by these authorities, and yes they should weed through them and pull out anything that may seem useful and follow up on it, but that would not take up the time of the entire Thai Police force and should definitely not be the base for a solid foundation to this messed up investigation.

What a complete mess and embarrasment for the Thai Authorities on this tragedy that is just prolonging the suffering of the Family's of these two poor souls.

Ha ha, reminds me of the constant protestations from my Thai girlfriend, "It's your fault, Falangs !" I've been blamed for everything from the collaboration with the Japanese to the rice farce........ Have you ever heard anything so pathetic ? "We were distracted by (Foreign, FARANGS ! media) " I wonder if my girlfriends a relation...??? I sincerely hope that Thiland doesn't blunder into a war one day, because they might get distracted by all the bangs ........ Mind you as we all know, there's no danger of that...............

Edited by SupermarineS6B

Thai police have accused foreign journalists and social media users of muddling their ongoing investigation into the murder of two British tourists in southern Thailand last week.

Oh.. it's the media's fault the police can't solve this case, when they have over 100 investigators on the case.. of course it is BIB!

Maybe the media coverage would NOT have been so fierce if the police were not so inept at solving cases, and could actually do their job (successfully) from time to time.. Maybe too much to ask?

Just another case of police pointing fingers and blaming others.. desperately trying to save some face, because finding the actual people responsible for this horrific crime IS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.

Instead of making RIDICULOUS statements to the media (which only intensifies the focus on the police), they should have just shut-up and said that a 'full investigation is underway, and that we have nothing to add at this time'.. this is the standard line in most civilised countries, when they have very little to go on. Then when some SOLID evidence /lead is found, and progress has been made.. MAYBE mention it to the media, but not prematurely, as is so often the case over here.

Doesn't the police in this country understand that when they say something is going to happen in say 24 hours.. and it turns out to be rubbish.. they not only lose face, but look MORE inept?

Following this travesty of justice and total farce of an investigation is making the whole world facepalm every day... facepalm.gif

Edited by Darbar
  • Like 1

I now believe that the RTP, are using the wishful thinking tactic , that it is fisher men who could only do this sort of horrendous crime and not the elite bar owners !

Elite bar owners wouldn't know how to lift a hoe either,

they should now direct their attention to all the farmers...blink.png

Seriously, look at that poster in the main picture again. Four different police generals and four different phone numbers to report to. Are there then four different and competing investigations under way?

And another point about the social media. The Koh Tao community FB page, instead of rallying around to find the killers, are deleting any references to the murders. There is a post requesting people not to co-operate until someone higher up has given approval. So wouldn't be surprised to see farang Koh Tao residents coming onto TVF to create smoke and mirrors with obscure postings and derailment of threads, just to protect their failing business interests on the island. Yes, social media works in more than one direction.

• Like 2

OK the world is at fault, for Thai police not being able to solve the murder case, lets move on, the police got their payoff from the headman. So no need to pursue investigations anymore, case is sliding off of being news worthy, guess the cops are hoping it'll all go away.

This is what happens if you take a convicted pedo seriosuly, i told the whole forum he was a glory hunter from day one.

So it seems it's the reward offered by the public, which was 714,000 but has now been reduced to 700,000 after (expenses?) versus 1 million that says the family has done nothing wrong but hasn't supplied DNA....plus the undisclosed fee for private police to chase Sean into fear....maybe another 2 milll..

and another cop in dark sunnies looking just a little sus.pointing at a reward sign...but this is not the I didn't do it or I'll give you a million sign, this is the other one.....story just gets better..when will the official forensic reports reveal that Hannah was raped after she was SHOT and then attacked with a Hoe to cover the wounds and then raped after death...I have solid advice from those that know this is what happenned..photos prove it....where is the justice?

Ozzy, the 1 million was offered IF THEY COULD find any evidence to suggest that one of those family members were involved. NOT to say they didn't do it. Therefore, if the police wanted that money, it would be in their best interests to try and link the family to the murders. Gee, I wish people would read things correctly, before putting the wrong twist on things.

Read my post again, that is exactly what I said..

"versus 1 million that says the family has done nothing wrong,"

which would translate as prove us guilty and we'll give you a million...

Maybe I worded it badly but I understand this....

He offered a million if anyone can prove his family did it...Almost daring the police..

He offered no reward to find the killers..all he cares about is family and his money...They are scum and people reallly should boycott that place...it's pure evil..

But have they all had DNA tests or refused?

Edited by ozzyrules

...as one of the two men who allegedly intimidated him already "showed his innocence" yesterday.

Thai culture at its finest - I stayed on Koh Tao many years ago - I was warned at the time of how dangerous a place it could be. The police on the island ARE the mafia. They could be paid to kill someone in their sleep for the right price and a good enough reason.

No wonder this investigation is bungled, it'll likely be a cops mate who did it whilst drunk after a police gambling and drinking session.

I pity the parents having to deal with Thai police - they must be agonized.

The clearance rate for murder, ie the rate of arrest and conviction, by any police force in the world, is rarely more than 60% (the UK is exceptional however in that their clearance rate is 95% during 2013). That means that even in the US, some 40% of murders go unsolved.

I doubt that the clearance rate of the Thai police force is that much different from that of other countries in SE Asia.

On an island?

With victims found within hours of death?

With murder weapons and physical evidence strewn around?

Really?

MJ,

Murder weapons and physical evidence are great if the suspects prints and DNA are already in the system; however, when they are unknown to law enforcement then these items simply help to attach a future suspect to the crime. Unless the evidence left behind was the attackers phone or wallet perhaps.

One or two questions relating to above comment... (maybe 3)

There was a Video Clip that showed a Thai running from the area (Crime Scene)... He was wearing the pants of the male Victim.... Did he in a hurry also leave his wallet in his own pants?

Photos of the victims show the male to be wearing the same color pants as the Asian man running from the scene... The males Pants, (Color) was not found at crime scene. But a pair of a different color. Has anyone checked to see if DNA on pants found, matched Victims? Or does DNA on pants match the DNA of the Suspect they are searching for?

I am sure also If one of the suspects grabbed the wrong pants... They never thought to enpty the pockets of theirs!!!

• Like 1

The guy captured on CCTV running is Montriwat Tuwichian, who runs the AC Bar

Minus a tatoo; too cool to run, maybe his son or bouncer!

Sorry, wrong way up, Mon claims no tatoo, the runner has one. Cool as ice on the crime scene, adding lots of footprints with his friends the police.

The guy captured on CCTV running is Montriwat Tuwichian, who runs the AC Bar

Minus a tatoo; too cool to run, maybe his son or bouncer!

which ever guy this was, has he been asked the simple question " why were you running so fast in that direction at that time " ?

Asked of whom?

Mon has replied already.

I think he knows who it was and whythis person was running, but that is pure speculation.

No DNA on a video!

• Like 1