90 day reporting to immigration

watgate

Since I have read and been told conflicting answers I thought it best to post my question here. I will be going to Chiang Mai immigration in December to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. Does this count also as my first 90 day report to immigrations or will I have to report to immigrations approximately one month later?

They are not tied together

Your visa extension is just that ...an extension to stay

But does not reflect your arrival in Thailand which the 90 day reports is based on.

So your 90 days always starts according to your arrival in Thailand TM.6 (Arrival/Departure Card)

If you leave the country even for a short trip then it restarts on re-entry

to restart 90 days clock

PS: For 90 day reports You can go 15 days early or 7 days after actual due date so eventually you might

get it to where you can do both at the same time as I recently did

Edited by mania

You are best getting a calender and mark the dates you have to report,

as its easy to forget ,and if you do its a 2,000 THB fine.as soon as you

do a 90 day report,mark the next date due on the calender when you

return home.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

OP, with regards to your question, I don't remember making a 90 day report at my first extension. Best ask the official who processes your extension as to when the first 90 day report is due.

Come to think if it, they stick a small piece of card in your passport on the first extension telling you when to report.

• Like 1

You are best getting a calender and mark the dates you have to report,

as its easy to forget ,and if you do its a 2,000 THB fine.as soon as you

do a 90 day report,mark the next date due on the calender when you

return home.

regards worgeordie

Or save the trees and set a reminder on your phone. wink.png

Will this be your first extension?

While extensions and 90 day reports are separate items, the first extension (and only the first) also counts as a 90 day report. So if this is your first extension, your 90 day report will be due 90 days after you apply for the extension.

Sophon

• Like 1

Sent registered mail on 12 September (about two weeks before the required report date), processed by Immigration on 15 September and completed receipt received on 19 September. Total elapsed time: one week!

The new receipt of notification (which --- don't forget --- you place in your passport) is computer-generated with a bar code recording your passport number. It contains two very clear notices in English which notify that the report is NOT an extension of stay and which notes the next reporting date.

NOTE: The Immigration Office did write a PO Box number as part of their address, both on the receipt and on the return envelope I provided. You should now address your report to P.O. Box 882 as part of the address noted by Tywais in the pinned thread. That might even speed things up further.

It is not necessary to send a report by registered mail (cost: Bt18), but it may give you some comfort in case of lost mail. I personally have never had mail misplaced in ten years or so. Up to you. For the budget-conscious, If you comfortable not going to the post office and have a clear return address, the whole process costs (for four quarterly reports annually) all of Bt24 (including postage for the return envelopes) plus the cost of envelopes and some photocopies.

Each to her own, but one agent charges Bt1500 a year, I believe: some 60x more. The difference is obviously worth more than a few cheap beers. I note this since, judging from a recent thread, there seems to be an intense interest in the cost of beer! biggrin.png Otherwise, it beats hell out of visiting the office.

Edited by Mapguy

While extensions and 90 day reports are separate items, the first extension (and only the first) also counts as a 90 day report. So if this is your first extension, your 90 day report will be due 90 days after you apply for the extension.

Sophon

Not every extension will be from application, it is 90 days from when you get the extension.

• Like 1

Sophon

Not every extension will be from application, it is 90 days from when you get the extension.

Firstly, the OP is clearly stating that he is applying for an extension for retirement, so the extension will be granted right away. Therefore his first 90 day report will be due 90 day after the day he applies (as I stated).

Secondly, the 90 day regulations says this:

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Note that it says the application is equivalent of doing a 90 day report, not the granting of the the extension. In situations where there is a "under consideration" period, that should mean that the next 90 day report is due 90 day after the application - not from when you pick up your extension. It would also make more sense that way, since you would be on a 90 day Non-immigrant entry when applying, so you would probably be over the 90 day limit when you pick up the extension.

But since I am on a retirement extension I don't have any practical experience in the matter, so I don't know for sure one way or the other.

But as mentioned, this is not relevant for the original poster.

Sophon

Sent registered mail on 12 September (about two weeks before the required report date), processed by Immigration on 15 September and completed receipt received on 19 September. Total elapsed time: one week!

The new receipt of notification (which --- don't forget --- you place in your passport) is computer-generated with a bar code recording your passport number. It contains two very clear notices in English which notify that the report is NOT an extension of stay and which notes the next reporting date.

NOTE: The Immigration Office did write a PO Box number as part of their address, both on the receipt and on the return envelope I provided. You should now address your report to P.O. Box 882 as part of the address noted by Tywais in the pinned thread. That might even speed things up further.

It is not necessary to send a report by registered mail (cost: Bt18), but it may give you some comfort in case of lost mail. I personally have never had mail misplaced in ten years or so. Up to you. For the budget-conscious, If you comfortable not going to the post office and have a clear return address, the whole process costs (for four quarterly reports annually) all of Bt24 (including postage for the return envelopes) plus the cost of envelopes and some photocopies.

Each to her own, but one agent charges Bt1500 a year, I believe: some 60x more. The difference is obviously worth more than a few cheap beers. I note this since, judging from a recent thread, there seems to be an intense interest in the cost of beer! biggrin.png Otherwise, it beats hell out of visiting the office.

Mapguy............Sometimes your posts 'drive me up a wall'..........and then there are posts like this that are 'spot on' for those of us who are 'not the brightest bulb in the package'.

I have been avoiding THAI POST for over a decade after a bad experience and now THAI IMMIGRATION has become even more distasteful.......so I'll be using the lesser of the two evils to maintain accountability with the other.

Thanks for posting the easy instructions and lending your support. If my '90 day report' becomes 'lost in the mail' you will hear from me !! LOL's

Jollyrog

Sophon

Firstly, the OP is clearly stating that he is applying for an extension for retirement, so the extension will be granted right away. Therefore his first 90 day report will be due 90 day after the day he applies (as I stated).

Secondly, the 90 day regulations says this:

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Note that it says the application is equivalent of doing a 90 day report, not the granting of the the extension. In situations where there is a "under consideration" period, that should mean that the next 90 day report is due 90 day after the application - not from when you pick up your extension. It would also make more sense that way, since you would be on a 90 day Non-immigrant entry when applying, so you would probably be over the 90 day limit when you pick up the extension.

But since I am on a retirement extension I don't have any practical experience in the matter, so I don't know for sure one way or the other.

But as mentioned, this is not relevant for the original poster.

Sophon

Your post made assumptions which are not allowed, leads to confusion as everyone is very quick to point out.

Report is due 90 days from getting the extension. I applied on 9th July and report due 4th Nov.

Your post made assumptions which are not allowed, leads to confusion as everyone is very quick to point out.

Report is due 90 days from getting the extension. I applied on 9th July and report due 4th Nov.

ํYou may be correct about whether the 90 day report is due from the application for or the granting of the extension. The rules clearly seem to state it's from the application, but as I mentioned I don't know from own experience. If you check this link, you will find that one of the premier experts on visas/extensions here on ThaiVisa also says that the next 90 day report is counted from the application date (as the rule says), but different Immigration offices might handle this differently.

Could you please tell me what assumption it was that I made?. I gave a direct (and correct) answer to the question posted in the OP. And where do you get the idea that assumptions "are not allowed"? When a post doesn't contain all the needed information it's perfectly fine to make educated guesses, as long as your reply clearly states what assumptions you have made in your reply.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

ํYou may be correct about whether the 90 day report is due from the application for or the granting of the extension. The rules clearly seem to state it's from the application, but as I mentioned I don't know from own experience. If you check this link, you will find that one of the premier experts on visas/extensions here on ThaiVisa also says that the next 90 day report is counted from the application date (as the rule says), but different Immigration offices might handle this differently.

Could you please tell me what assumption it was that I made?. I gave a direct (and correct) answer to the question posted in the OP. And where do you get the idea that assumptions "are not allowed"? When a post doesn't contain all the needed information it's perfectly fine to make educated guesses, as long as your reply clearly states what assumptions you have made in your reply.

Sophon

You assumed that it would be taken that you were addressing the OP, strange that some seem to get away with that.

There is no guarantee that any process can be completed there and then, so it cannot be assumed.

When I got my new passport, they took the passport, forms and photocopies then said to come back a few days later. I declined and sat it out, took nearly 4 hours.

When I went for the driving licence, I had paid my money and was waiting for the licence when they had a power cut. Money was returned and had to go back the following week.

You do not have an extension until it is in your passport, no extension, no 90 day report.

Nitpicking, probably, there are some very good teachers on here.

You assumed that it would be taken that you were addressing the OP, strange that some seem to get away with that.

There is no guarantee that any process can be completed there and then, so it cannot be assumed.

When I got my new passport, they took the passport, forms and photocopies then said to come back a few days later. I declined and sat it out, took nearly 4 hours.

When I went for the driving licence, I had paid my money and was waiting for the licence when they had a power cut. Money was returned and had to go back the following week.

You do not have an extension until it is in your passport, no extension, no 90 day report.

Nitpicking, probably, there are some very good teachers on here.

Since I started my reply by asking the OP a direct question, followed by telling him when he would have to report if this was indeed his first extension, anyone with basic reading skills will know that I was addressing the OP directly.

Sophon