Why you should wear a helmet when riding a m'bike.

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel much safer in a car , why risk it ? Even with a helmet and gear your body can get injured really bad here in Thailand.

Because you can safe much time in a bike.. more as half the time often. Plus its far more fun driving.. of course you can injured but some of us think the risk is worth it.

• Like 1

Its good to see an example that even such cheap helmet can help a lot. Some members here want to make us believe we all should wear top of the line helmets or we will regret it one day. But a helmet for 2,000 Baht can do the same for you. And a helmet for 6-800 Baht still can protect you as we see in the OP. There is no good reason to go without helmet. I always wear one, even for the 500m to 7/11 around the corner. No police but too many idiot scooter racers here in my street.

Disappointing post from you wantan. Do you think that it's wrong to go for the best gear that you can afford? We are talking about protective gear that can save your skin, your limbs, your life, not about bling bling.

I don't mean that you should fully gear up for the 500m ride to 7/11. Just that one should gear up appropriately. I wear an open face when riding around Bkk due to lower speeds etc. But when touring at higher speeds, I always wear a full face helmet as it fits more snugly and does not move around at higher speeds. Same with other gear such as gloves, jacket, pants and shoes / boots.

Interesting that you push for riding fully protected when touring, but are happy to wear basic when riding locally...Its got to be one or the other, doesn't it?

I mean ,when somchai is weaving down the road full of alcohol and or yabba and little driving skill to boot, is he going to specially avoid you because you are ''just riding locally?"blink.png

You really believe that motorcyclists are only at risk of serious injury or death when touring at higher speeds?

Seems to me and your fan club are either seriously ignorant of the concept of risk management or totally devoid of any motoring sense or just trolling / baiting as per usual.

If you do not understand the difference between riding your (phantom) Nuovo down to 7/11 and touring on a big displacement bike, I can "explain it to you but I can't understand it for you' (notice the absence of the inappropriate punctuation mark).

Let me try to explain it to you this way; when the likes of Rossi and Marquez are giving it all on a Sunday, they are fully equipped with the best protection that money can buy. However, when they are merely doing sighting laps on their scooters on a Thursday afternoon, they are probably only wearing jeans and T-shirts and possibly without even a helmet. Understand the difference? Elementary enough for you?

• Like 2

Typical TV bike forum nonsense about "real riders" who need top of the line helmets for "proper touring" and others on their scooters/phantom/smallBike who do "not ride" and thus not really need a helmet at all. Or maybe they need, but not if they have the skills of a Rossi, what of course only "real riders" have rolleyes.gif

Gweilo Gweilo, you disappoint me laugh.png

How about this, have the scooter choice (behind) just a helmet, have the songteaw choice and my choice.. no fighting. On the PCX I Wont dress like this but on the Forza I might. :D

Edit:Cant get the pic uploaded..

Edited by Nebula
  • Like 1

How about this, have the scooter choice (behind) just a helmet, have the songteaw choice and my choice.. no fighting. On the PCX I Wont dress like this but on the Forza I might. biggrin.png

Edit:Cant get the pic uploaded..

Looking forward to riding with you on Sunday!! Welcome to the club of wannabe and pretend riders, hahahaha.

• Like 2

Out of interest whats it like wearing a suit of armor (proper boots and gloves, full helmet, armored jeans and jacket) in Thailand's climate while touring on a sports bike

Comforting and secure.

Like a blanket when you were a wee baby.

Edited by ClutchClark

Typical TV bike forum nonsense about "real riders" who need top of the line helmets for "proper touring" and others on their scooters/phantom/smallBike who do "not ride" and thus not really need a helmet at all. Or maybe they need, but not if they have the skills of a Rossi, what of course only "real riders" have rolleyes.gif

Wantan, no idea what you are talking about.

I'm saying that in my opinion, it's enough to wear an open face helmet for city riding due to lower speeds, easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react. When touring, everything happens a lot quicker which to me means higher risks and therefore, we should gear up accordingly. Furthermore, injuries sustained at higher speed crashes tend to be more serious thus the need for better protection all round.

Wantan I don't consider me better as you on your small bike but for me when I ride the bigger bike I ride faster (the scooter can just make about 100 km/h), I also accelarate faster and do longer distances these things increase my risk that is why I use more gear on the big bike as on the scooter (always a full face helmet) The only reason I use the real expensive helmet on the big bike and not as much on the scooter is the hassle of locking the helmet up.

Its just risk assessment nothing to do with putting someones ride down. I think if you drive a CBR and go faster as the scooter you should gear up better too.

Opinions might differ about this but for me at least it has nothing to do with looking down on someones ride. I started off here on a wave 100. Slowly working my way up and now I got a bigger bike but I am sure I don't match up good with other riders. They probably drive faster as me and have better skills. I like the bigger bike but never go full out with it. Just love the extra torque and how it handles. Top speed.. never went to its max with my skills and on the roads that I drive it would not be safe.

• Like 1

I feel much safer in a car , why risk it ? Even with a helmet and gear your body can get injured really bad here in Thailand.

so, why get caged and risk a boring life?

better dont live than having boring life!

Edited by ll2

So why do so many not want life in prison rather than the death penalty? I think you may speak only for yourself perhaps only a few others.

So why do so many not want life in prison rather than the death penalty? I think you may speak only for yourself perhaps only a few others.

well, i am saying the same thing. some choose to better die than waiting at the prison for a life time, like some choose getting caged all their lives or some choose risk but an exciting life.

and anyway, do i sound like i am speaking for the masses or majority?

and in a bike forum, saying why ride riding bikes, i ride car very safe blah blah blah does not work of course!

Edited by ll2

well, i am saying the same thing. some choose to better die than waiting at the prison for a life time, like some choose getting caged all their lives or some choose risk but an exciting life.

and anyway, do i sound like i am speaking for the masses or majority?

and in a bike forum, saying why ride riding bikes, i ride car very safe blah blah blah does not work of course!

You wrote, "do i sound like i am speaking for the masses or majority?" I read what you wrote, "better dont live than having boring life!" Although do have a point about writing in a bike forum. Since I ride I'm hard pressed to disagree with you. In the States I rode a 750cc Honda and here a 125cc scooter. I gotta say that what Honda has done with that 125cc engine in the Click is amazing, it's really a rush to twist the throttle all the way to open.smile.png

Well there are situation where you are safer on a bike than in car, especially when it comes to many of the unsafe overtaking maneuvers made on the roads here.

e.g. One incident, riding on a single 2 way major road to Chiang Mai, on coming to a blind hilltop I always move more to the left, SUV comes hurtling over he blind hilltop over taking, I quickly reacted and moved even more to the far left of the road edge, My mate behind said later " Hey he was bloody close to you, if you have been in a car that for sure would have been a very nasty head-on or off down that steep bank side of the road among the trees ".

I said " Well yet another lesson in riding a bike in Thailand my young friend ".

Wantan, no idea what you are talking about.

I'm saying that in my opinion, it's enough to wear an open face helmet for city riding due to lower speeds, easier predictability of actions of other road users and more time to react. When touring, everything happens a lot quicker which to me means higher risks and therefore, we should gear up accordingly. Furthermore, injuries sustained at higher speed crashes tend to be more serious thus the need for better protection all round.

I was talking about your post #65 in which you e.g. say something like this:

Let me try to explain it to you this way; when the likes of Rossi and Marquez are giving it all on a Sunday, they are fully equipped with the best protection that money can buy. However, when they are merely doing sighting laps on their scooters on a Thursday afternoon, they are probably only wearing jeans and T-shirts and possibly without even a helmet. Understand the difference? Elementary enough for you?

You really think its OK if Rossi is driving a scooter without helmet? Imo the stupiest thing he can do. And i wouldnt be supprised if he has signed contracts to not be allowed to do so. He is a role model and has to act like this.

And sorry, no, i do not "understand the difference" in this. Why should Rossi act like an idiot in his spare time? Because he is such a great rider that he will never crash? I am sure 90% of the thai men wearing no helmets think the same.

Even Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he had his bad skiing accident. And you know what happened, Guess he wouldnt be alive without. But again, the most expensive helmet may not protect you brain from damage, so better not rely on it. And i am sure Schumacher was wearing a top of the line helmet.

The speed range (acceleration of the brain) in which a helmet can prevent yourt brain from damage in a crash is very small. And a 20,000 Baht helmet cannot generally do it better than a 2,000 Baht helmet. There might be slight differences between some helmets, but the most important thing to prevent injuries is a reasonable behaviour when out on the streets.

And i stand to my words. a Real or Bilmola helmet for 2,000 - 3,000 Baht can do the same as a top of the line helmet for 20,000 Baht. So instead of buying helmets in the supermarket, visit a good helmet store and try some models of these brands. If they fit your head and you feel comfortable - perfect, buy it! And if you are a pro rider who wants to spend lots of money for top-of-the-line models - thats absolutely OK too, but please dont try to tell others your helmet is significantly safer because you paid a lot more money for it. Its simply not true.

Open face or full face? Imo up to everyone to choose what he likes. A full face is safer. At any time. Even in slow city traffic. But a open face helmet can protect the brain very well too. But even if open face, dont buy your helmet in the supermarket. Visit a helmet dealer with a proper selction to choose from.

EDIT: Some spelling errors corrected. But sure not all smile.png

Edited by wantan

You really think its OK if Rossi is driving a scooter without helmet? Imo the stupiest thing he can do. And i wouldnt be supprised if he has signed contracts to not be allowed to do so. He is a role model and has to act like this.

And sorry, no, i do not "understand the difference" in this. Why should Rossi act like an idiot in his spare time? Because he is such a great rider that he will never crash? I am sure 90% of the thai men wearing no helmets think the same.

Even Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he had his bad skiing accident. And you know what happened, Guess he wouldnt be alive without. But again, the most expensive helmet may not protect you brain from damage, so better not rely on it. And i am sure Schumacher was wearing a top of the line helmet.

The speed range (acceleration of the brain) in which a helmet can prevent yourt brain from damage in a crash is very small. And a 20,000 Baht helmet cannot generally do it better than a 2,000 Baht helmet. There might be slight differences between some helmets, but the most important thing to prevent injuries is a reasonable behaviour when out on the streets.

And i stand to my words. a Real or Bilmola helmet for 2,000 - 3,000 Baht can do the same as a top of the line helmet for 20,000 Baht. So instead of buying helmets in the supermarket, visit a good helmet store and try some models of these brands. If they fit your head and you feel comfortable - perfect, buy it! And if you are a pro rider who wants to spend lots of money for top-of-the-line models - thats absolutely OK too, but please dont try to tell others your helmet is significantly safer because you paid a lot more money for it. Its simply not true.

Open face or full face? Imo up to everyone to choose what he likes. A full face is safer. At any time. Even in slow city traffic. But a open face helmet can protect the brain very well too. But even if open face, dont buy your helmet in the supermarket. Visit a helmet dealer with a proper selction to choose from.

Looks to me like you completely misunderstood my post. I'm talking about when the pro racers do their sighting / recee laps of a circuit, not when they are out riding on the streets. I have no idea whether they would wear their helmets when they are either walking the circuit or going around slowly on a scooter, checking out turn points and apexes, checking out surface conditions etc. I am fairly certain however that they would not be wearing their full racing gear. I have seen very often these pro riders riding a scooter around the pit areas - and they are not wearing a helmet.

Why is this, you might ask. Very simply, as Robblok mentioned, it's all a matter of risk assessment.

The post you liked implied (wrongly, unsurprisingly) that riding a scooter at slow speeds is as dangerous as riding a bigger bike at higher speeds. Fact that you liked it meant you agreed, which disappointed me because I held you in higher esteem than the other poster.

I'm not willing to go into a debate as to whether a 2,000 baht helmet is as safe as a 20,000 baht helmet. I believe in getting what you paid for and I would not expect a 2,000 baht helmet to perform as well as a 20,000 baht helmet - period.

• Like 2

It's called Natural Selection. Those that buy good gear have a higher chance of reproducing and providing well for their families.

The half, three quarter and no helmet riders will become extinct during the next 10,000 years.

End of story.

Rossi doesn't seem to have an issue with not wearing a helmet on a scooter. But these are all at the track. I doubt he would do that on a normal street, even if it was OK with the local laws. He actually had a pretty massive crash in Aragon last weekend and knocked unconscious despite top of the line helmet and a "sterile" environment with no SUV's, poles etc.

I doubt anyone who's involved in riding bikes is looking for safety guarantees from their gear, it's basically just one important way to help reduce the risk.

post-43886-0-91928000-1412082877_thumb.j

post-43886-0-36617800-1412082891_thumb.j

post-43886-0-29198600-1412082901_thumb.j

post-43886-0-12581900-1412082909_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks to me like you completely misunderstood my post. I'm talking about when the pro racers do their sighting / recee laps of a circuit, not when they are out riding on the streets. I have no idea whether they would wear their helmets when they are either walking the circuit or going around slowly on a scooter, checking out turn points and apexes, checking out surface conditions etc. I am fairly certain however that they would not be wearing their full racing gear. I have seen very often these pro riders riding a scooter around the pit areas - and they are not wearing a helmet.

Why is this, you might ask. Very simply, as Robblok mentioned, it's all a matter of risk assessment.

The post you liked implied (wrongly, unsurprisingly) that riding a scooter at slow speeds is as dangerous as riding a bigger bike at higher speeds. Fact that you liked it meant you agreed, which disappointed me because I held you in higher esteem than the other poster.

I'm not willing to go into a debate as to whether a 2,000 baht helmet is as safe as a 20,000 baht helmet. I believe in getting what you paid for and I would not expect a 2,000 baht helmet to perform as well as a 20,000 baht helmet - period.

Of course i misunderstood your post. I have no clue about racing and what Rossi does to preview a track. Never thought they would ride scooters on the track. To be honest, i never watch any races, neither on TV nor on Youtube or anywhere else. The only reason why i see some tracks is guys like you who keep on posting about track riding here. Not my cup of tea this racing thingy.

Yep, no need to compare a 2k helmet with a 20k helmet. Of course the 20k is "better". But imo it isnt generally "safer". Thats all. If we really want to discuss this we would have to pick some helmets and compare them in detail. But i guess we all do not want to do such boring thing.

I just bought a Airoh Movement at Panda for 7,000 Baht, because it has a nice sun visor integrated. But to be honest i dont think its better quality than my Real G-Force for 2,400 Baht. The Real looks like better made imo. I just bought the Airoh because of the sun visor, which open/close function works very well. And it is the "value for money tip for helmets with sun visor" in Motorrad, a German bike magazine. But i dont feel any safer with my new Airoh helmet.

Of course i misunderstood your post. I have no clue about racing and what Rossi does to preview a track. Never thought they would ride scooters on the track. To be honest, i never watch any races, neither on TV nor on Youtube or anywhere else. The only reason why i see some tracks is guys like you who keep on posting about track riding here. Not my cup of tea this racing thingy.

Yep, no need to compare a 2k helmet with a 20k helmet. Of course the 20k is "better". But imo it isnt generally "safer". Thats all. If we really want to discuss this we would have to pick some helmets and compare them in detail. But i guess we all do not want to do such boring thing.

I just bought a Airoh Movement at Panda for 7,000 Baht, because it has a nice sun visor integrated. But to be honest i dont think its better quality than my Real G-Force for 2,400 Baht. The Real looks like better made imo. I just bought the Airoh because of the sun visor, which open/close function works very well. And it is the "value for money tip for helmets with sun visor" in Motorrad, a German bike magazine. But i dont feel any safer with my new Airoh helmet.

you should.

you should.

Why? Its just some 3cm styrofoam. Do you really think the material used is so much better? I guess differences will be marginal, if any at all. You would be very lucky if your type of accident would be exactly the way this minimal difference would really make a difference. But who says the Airoh is "safer"? Maybe the Real is safer, we all dont know for sure, its just guessing and speculating and depends highly on the details of an accident and the used helmet.