New way to pay electric bill ?

worgeordie

My wife went to pay the electric bill at 7-11,last week and was told to write

telephone number on the bill ,which was put in box with others,they said

that next month the electric co. was trying out a new method of paying bills,

the guy reads your meter,then they send you SMS ,you take it to 7-11 to

pay,if this is true,i don't think they have thought it through,what if you don't

have a phone!,and will you get invoice marked paid,always best to keep them.

Anyone else hear of this.

regards Worgeordie

pay it via direct debit to your bank account and forget about it

keep a small account for this and the phone bill if you are concerned

been doing it for about 15 years without a problem

+1 we set this up about 4 years ago @ Ayudyha Bank & it is a nice easy way to deal with it.

Especially if you have internet access to your account as you can see/check each month deduction

on or about the 11th of each month

+1 for direct debit when working. It took 3 months to set up, and then us being cut-off for non-payment because some bright spark entered my bank account number incorrecly into their system...........

Took us about 1-2 hours as we did it manually

Went to Chiangmai Electric & got some paper to give the bank with elec. acct info...then went to bank to setup...then back to Electric

But never had a problem since

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Every month for the past 25 years, somebody called at our house and gave us the paper showing the bill for the electricity, which we then pay to them, in cash. Several times we have enquired at the PEA office to ask about direct debit payments, but were told that it's not available for our area. We have been paying the phone bill by direct debit since we got a phone installed in 1999.

This month, the same person that usually calls, handed us a new, small bill, and said that we had to pay at the 7-11 now, no other payment method was possible, not even at a bank. So I had to make an extra stop at 7-11, and they charge me 10 baht to pay the bill.

I don't see how PEA save money, they still have to pay the person to deliver the bill, just extra work and cost for the customer.

Edited by delboy

I got my bill on Wednesday, paid on Thursday at 7-11; business as usual. I used to have auto debit, for when I was out of town, and it took a few hours to set up. Now, you don't even get a balance due if you use less than 50 Kwh, so no worries while you're gone. I think my condo has been sold four times in its 26 year history, and the bill is still in the original owners name. I was told that it is a common practice, and if I really wanted it in my name it could cost several thousand to rattle their cage at PEA.

i don't think they have thought it through,what if you don't have a phone!,

Then your wife wouldn't put your number in a box at 7-Eleven. At last count fewer than 1% of the population who had to pay electric bills but didn't have a phone. (OK, I made that up, but it's probably fewer than 1%).

Edited by Suradit69

Then your wife wouldn't put your number in a box at 7-Eleven. At last count fewer than 1% of the population who had to pay electric bills but didn't have a phone. (OK, I made that up, but it's probably fewer than 1%).

I think he meant people who don't have mobile phones that can receive a text messages. Everyone has a telephone but not everyone has a mobile telephone.

• Like 1

No she put HER number in the box i am a 1% er,don't have a phone,don't want a phone,

your made up number of 1 % still covers quite a few people right? though its most likely

higher,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

No she put HER number in the box i am a 1% er,don't have a phone,don't want a phone,

your made up number of 1 % still covers quite a few people right? though its most likely

higher,

regards Worgeordie

'No she put HER number in the box"

Even better. Tell her she has to pay the electric bill.

Come to think of it, if you know someone who is rich and not overly careful about checking details, put their phone number in the box. Could be good for a couple of months free electricity.

Edited by Suradit69

higher,

regards Worgeordie

'No she put HER number in the box"

Even better. Tell her she has to pay the electric bill.

Come to think of it, if you know someone who is rich and not overly careful about checking details, put their phone number in the box. Could be good for a couple of months free electricity.

Yes she does,if you did what you are recommending,in your last sentence,i am sure you would end

with with more than a couple of months free electricity !, it would be board and lodgings with bars.

I am only the messenger, passing on what PEA are proposing,i gave one example of how i think it

would not be workable,and you gave another yourself, its not a big deal,maybe when they put more

thought into it ,they will see its unworkable,for the 1% anyway.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I think he meant people who don't have mobile phones that can receive a text messages. Everyone has a telephone but not everyone has a mobile telephone.

Many people have mobile phones but no landline.

Never ever open a direct deposit account. Anywhere.

Just pay the bills as needed, and keep third parties out of your bank account.

I know where that is heading but I have separate accounts for such things

as automatic bill paying & they never have more than enough for two payments in them.

I feed it online from other accounts which I do not even allow a ATM card for.

Same as my ATM/Debit card which I never keep more than 10-20k in

I just feed it as needed from a more secure limited access account

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Many people have mobile phones but no landline.

Huh? That is very surprising to me. Mobiles are not dependable. Almost everyone in Thailand has land-lines but not everyone has a mobile. 130 Baht per month, 3.5 THB for as long as you want to talk (same Changwat). Cheapest telephone service on the planet.

Mania.....how do you get internet access to your direct debit for electricity? I have my electric direct debited but my Thai friend set it up for me.....I don't have any internet viewable account balance....Any thoughts?

Mike

As I understand it, they are opening little PEA payment offices around town by the 1st of next month. Maybe 7-Eleven payments no more?

Yes i believe they are opening one ,upstairs in Meechoke Plaza.

regards Worgeordie

I just payed my electric bill at the new PEA satellite office at Meechok Plaza. No waiting. Service with a smile. And best of all, free.

My condo pays for me each month, charging 30 baht for this service. I would prefer a direct debit to Bangkok Bank but worry about "hassle". Coming home to CM after 6 weeks+ on the road with no juice is my nightmare.

Edited by arunsakda