Picking the Brains of Experienced Isaan Farmers

WtFugarwe

Use your experience to help me avoid mistakes.

I am not a citiot. I farmed back in the world, and am aware that not all of that experience transfers. I have also lived in Thailand for 5 years, measuring many times, but just now cutting.

1. My 11 rai of Maha Sarakham soil is typical sandy, anerobic paddy soil. I am well aware of the need to add organic matter. What sources can I utilize for the huge volume I will require?

2. I see very few mangkut trees here and have yet to see an avocado. Has anyone grown these successfully in Khon Kaen/Roi Et/Maha Sarakham? Soil requirements?

3. I went to the Land Office and they were helpless as a rich man's child. Can I get technical assistance at KK University, or Maha Sarakham University?

4. I want large quantities of sunnhemp? Ideas?

Hi i have excellent supplier of chicken manure not sure if this will suit as i am not sure what anerobic paddy soil. is

but anyway this stuff gives great results with rice/ sweet corn and papaya tobbaco and various other crops of the thai vagetable vareity we buy 1000 bags at a time ( minimum order) but we some times share an order with locals actually my wife organises it all works out about 35 bht per usual rice bag size pm me if interested

• Like 1

Hello all, wasn't someone in the Ubon area selling sunn seed?

One of the pinned threads in the OG section, top of page had an

address for seed, it was a thread about intercropping between

rubber trees.

I got their seed and was happy with their seed. You do the usual

Thai money transfer to their bank and they sent me mine by bus.

If you live in a town with a bus station it works out great. I sent dent

corn to CM that way, very easy. They have other GM seed also, ask.

Some people will say go to the Gov and get free seed, they don't

always have it and if you want to plant now, the Gov. usually gets

it after the rice season for farmers to grow.

rice555

To make it clear, GM was used as in green manure crop's, not GMO.

Post # 13 by Found on the road dead(Foreeverford)

rice555

Thanks Smithson

I finally found a supplier of seed. Sun Hemp is called Paw Teung (pahh teu enhg) here and it goes for 40 baht a kilo if you are buying in bulk (I bought 200 kilos). They say 3-5 kilos per rai for green manure and Chownah has said he has had success in the 8 kilo a rai amount for broadcasting and discing. It germinates extremely fast, 4-5 hours soaking in warm water for me got some of the seeds to start showing its roots. Be careful not to soak too long if you want to "pre-emerge" your seeds as any longer than that or a delay in planting could be trouble. We just planted that and Sahnoh African (sesbania rostrata 40 baht a kilo and 3-5 kilo to a rai) last thursday the 25th and I will try to inform as the results come in. We are trying a few different methods to grow these two along with another bean that I don't have the name right now that is lima bean in size. The "Sanoh" is reputed to be a difficult grower with germination up to two weeks. Below is the contact of the company.

Thai Tanaht Praset in Chai Badan formely known as Lam Narai on Highway 21 half-way between Saraburi and Petchabun they are on the right side of the road about a kilo or two from the main clock tower on the highway.
Suenee 081-8202626

Tua Plu seeds in bulk are impossible to locate still but I will continue to look. I'd love to at least get a few cans but can't find them.
036-461701
Too too long on the computer and too sick to give more now but will update
  • Like 1