Couple held for selling pen guns via Facebook

Lite Beer

Couple held for selling pen guns via Facebook
The Sunday Nation

30244292-01_big.jpg

A couple, seated, appear at a police press conference yesterday after being arrested for allegedly selling pen guns and ammunition online. Part of the pen guns and bullets in postage parcels are shown in front of them.

BANGKOK: -- The Crime Suppression Division has arrested a metal lathe shop employee and his wife for allegedly selling more than 1,000 pen guns and ammunition through a Facebook "shop" since 2012.

Chatchai Yoocharoen, 47, and Ban-on Neungdithi, 52, were presented before the media yesterday along with 14 pen guns, three pistols, one shotgun, 371 bullets, 12 post boxes, two bank account books and an ATM card in another person's name, 12 cellphones and 100 post receipts.

They are facing charges of weapons dealing and possessing guns and ammunition unlawfully.

CSD commander Pol Maj-General Supisal Pakdeenaruenart said that after students involved in brawl and shootings told police that they had bought the guns on the Internet, the couple were tracked down via the Facebook "shop".

Supisal said police learned the weapons were sent to customers via post offices in Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya.

He said police staked out the post offices. They saw Bang-on mailing 11 boxes at the Bang Sai post office in Ayutthaya on Friday. The boxes were later found to contain 11 pen guns and 72 bullets.

Police then followed Bang-on to her apartment and presented themselves to arrest her. They also seized from her apartment another three pen guns, three pistols, one shotgun and 299 bullets were seized.

He said police then apprehended her husband, who confessed to supplying guns at Bt1,200 apiece to the Facebook "shop", which then sold them for Bt1,600 apiece.

CSD deputy chief Colonel Akradej Pimolsri said the suspects supplied the weapons nationwide and mostly to youths. They sold 122 guns in 2012, 402 guns in 2013 and 605 guns in 2014.

He said police planned to arrest the couple's accomplices, including the Facebook "shop" owner, and their customers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Couple-held-for-selling-pen-guns-via-Facebook-30244292.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-28

Not sure what happened to my post.

I had asked what the probable firing method is for this style of pengun. It looks like two cylinders with one threading into the other. The shooter would unscrew the device to insert the round and then screw it together to lock the round in place. You can see hatchmarks on the exterior that would facilitate hand tightening.

The firing mechanism appears to be that small "bolt" which slides within the "J"-shaped cut-out. That would mean there is a spring in the rear-most cylinder that forces a firing pin forward.

As was stated, these are typically in smaller calibers (.12, .22, .25) I think Colt even made one but a 9mm is crazy!

And to think they were being sold to kids. Hopefully there is an electronic papertrail of the 1,000 previously sold and shipped.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

this may be connected are they the same guns ?

Police pop pen-gun syndicate

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6151447410n265i

Busted: Police arrest a man in Sydney accused of making and supplying lethal pen guns. Photo: Police Media

Police have smashed a Sydney pen-gun syndicate accused of supplying miniature weapons to bikies and organised criminals.

The James Bond-inspired weapons are made to look like pens, key rings and mobile phone

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6151447410n260i

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-pop-pengun-syndicate-20140927-10mgve.html#ixzz3EZBzBCNc

Edited by StealthEnergiser

very easy to make which my fellow apprentices and i did, 12 guage on a spear gun out of quality SSteel. Only used it to blow up floating watermelons. why so called criminals dont get their own made has got me stumped.

What was the method used to fire the weapon. Was there a pressure device activated when placed firmly against an object or did you fire it by hand?

Very handy against shark.

very easy to make which my fellow apprentices and i did, 12 guage on a spear gun out of quality SSteel. Only used it to blow up floating watermelons. why so called criminals dont get their own made has got me stumped.

What was the method used to fire the weapon. Was there a pressure device activated when placed firmly against an object or did you fire it by hand?

Very handy against shark.

Yes ,just a striker pin, had to hit before firing.

Busted: Police arrest a man in Sydney accused of making and supplying lethal pen guns. Photo: Police Media

Police have smashed a Sydney pen-gun syndicate accused of supplying miniature weapons to bikies and organised criminals.

The James Bond-inspired weapons are made to look like pens, key rings and mobile phone

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-pop-pengun-syndicate-20140927-10mgve.html#ixzz3EZBzBCNc

This appears to be .22 rimfire. Note the pronounced taper at the end of the barrel which would have a hole too small for a centerfire. It also has a different cocking mechanism.

It could be the same maker. 9mm parabellum is very common in Thailand, probably stolen from the army or police or sold illegally by the same. It's what they use, and it's the official NATO cartridge.

The more I look, the more sure I am that the Thai guns have 9mm cartridges next to them. I can't think of another pistol round that has that same elongated taper going forward from the base. It's also about the right size and aspect ratio. The Thai guns also have a big enough bore in the barrel to accept a larger round. This gun is almost surely a .22.

Edited by NeverSure

Love the fact that the woman starts off as Ban-On but as story develops and guns mentioned more she becomes Bang-On.

Yes, and the cops have got her bang to rights and soon she'll be banged-up in Bangkok.;

Well, you know how it is. Commit crime and you end up in the pen'.

• Like 1

This appears to be .22 rimfire. Note the pronounced taper at the end of the barrel which would have a hole too small for a centerfire. It also has a different cocking mechanism.

It could be the same maker. 9mm parabellum is very common in Thailand, probably stolen from the army or police or sold illegally by the same. It's what they use, and it's the official NATO cartridge.

The more I look, the more sure I am that the Thai guns have 9mm cartridges next to them. I can't think of another pistol round that has that same elongated taper going forward from the base. It's also about the right size and aspect ratio. The Thai guns also have a big enough bore in the barrel to accept a larger round. This gun is almost surely a .22.

I can tell you what the "gun" in this photo is,,, it's NOT designed to be a gun,,,, it's a tool used in metal working,, that's been modded into a single shot, "pen gun",,, the tool normally has a sharp, hardened metal point, and when pressed against a metal surface, you compress it, until a mechanism inside, "snaps" the hardened point into the metal surface, creating a, "dimple" that's used for centering a drill bit,,, I actually have a couple myself,,, The tapered front half, unscrews to allow cleaning, etc,, once it's removed, you can then remove the hardened point, insert a cartridge, and reassemble,, (probably 22-25cal) This one's been modded by cutting the slot in the side, and adding the "bolt"... I've owned pen guns in the States, that were purposely made as such, (.22),,, they have a, "safe" position for the bolt, which keeps the firing pin from laying against the cartridge, so no discharge if dropped,, and a firing position, The bolt is slid back, rotated over to a small milled catch,, to fire you simply flip it out of the milled slot with a finger, or thumb,,, (can be done one handed) The modded one pictured has neither a safe, or firing position,,, looks to me as if you just pull back the bolt, and release,,, possibly 2 handed,,,,

post-121819-0-27330700-1411888968_thumb.

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 1

You call some customers bikies ? Such a cute name for mostly non-cute bikers.

Those are centerfire cartridges (with removeable primers.) Probably 9mm just guessing by the looks.

I've never seen a pen gun before that wasn't rim fire .22, which is deadly but small with low recoil.

Those would be hard to hold onto and would probably badly sting your hand. There's enough combustion chamber pressure that I wouldn't trust them to not blow up. I doubt they are the same steel as a real gun, nor are they heat treated after machining.

it looks like the are fold-able so to fire you will have to fold that thing to a more or less 90 degree angle and hold it like a real Pistol , makes aiming more easy and takes the sting out of the recoil.

Those are centerfire cartridges (with removeable primers.) Probably 9mm just guessing by the looks.

I've never seen a pen gun before that wasn't rim fire .22, which is deadly but small with low recoil.

Those would be hard to hold onto and would probably badly sting your hand. There's enough combustion chamber pressure that I wouldn't trust them to not blow up. I doubt they are the same steel as a real gun, nor are they heat treated after machining.

it looks like the are fold-able so to fire you will have to fold that thing to a more or less 90 degree angle and hold it like a real Pistol , makes aiming more easy and takes the sting out of the recoil.

Not foldable,,, you unscrew the front portion, load, screw back on,,, the "Z" shaped slot is the firing mechanism... you can fire quickly by sliding back with your thumb, release it,,,, or, "cock" it,, by sliding the bolt back, pushing the small portion protruding over into the "L" portion,,, then to fire, slide it over, out of the slot with your thumb, Can be done one handed,,, The really scary thing is that they're small enough to be, "palmed",,, walk up behind someone, press into the back, fire, keep walking,,,, Yes there'd be a "bang/report",,, but without a breach opening to allow the sound out, and pressed against someone,, on a noisy street,,, most people would never notice it,,, esp a small caliber,,, Or in a crowded/noisy night club,, press against someone, bang, drop, walk away,,, scary,,

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 1

Not foldable,,, you unscrew the front portion, load, screw back on,,, the "Z" shaped slot is the firing mechanism... you can fire quickly by sliding back with your thumb, release it,,,, or, "cock" it,, by sliding the bolt back, pushing the small portion protruding over into the "L" portion,,, then to fire, slide it over, out of the slot with your thumb, Can be done one handed,,, The really scary thing is that they're small enough to be, "palmed",,, walk up behind someone, press into the back, fire, keep walking,,,, Yes there'd be a "bang/report",,, but without a breach opening to allow the sound out, and pressed against someone,, on a noisy street,,, most people would never notice it,,, esp a small caliber,,, Or in a crowded/noisy night club,, press against someone, bang, drop, walk away,,, scary,,

Have a good look

Yup,,, that type is foldable,,(looks like nice work BTW). but the ones in the OP just straight,,,,

I can tell you what the "gun" in this photo is,,, it's NOT designed to be a gun,,,, it's a tool used in metal working,, that's been modded into a single shot, "pen gun",,, the tool normally has a sharp, hardened metal point, and when pressed against a metal surface, you compress it, until a mechanism inside, "snaps" the hardened point into the metal surface, creating a, "dimple" that's used for centering a drill bit,,, I actually have a couple myself,,, The tapered front half, unscrews to allow cleaning, etc,, once it's removed, you can then remove the hardened point, insert a cartridge, and reassemble,, (probably 22-25cal) This one's been modded by cutting the slot in the side, and adding the "bolt"... I've owned pen guns in the States, that were purposely made as such, (.22),,, they have a, "safe" position for the bolt, which keeps the firing pin from laying against the cartridge, so no discharge if dropped,, and a firing position, The bolt is slid back, rotated over to a small milled catch,, to fire you simply flip it out of the milled slot with a finger, or thumb,,, (can be done one handed) The modded one pictured has neither a safe, or firing position,,, looks to me as if you just pull back the bolt, and release,,, possibly 2 handed,,,,

This is a great post and great description--I have used similar centerpunches myself with a 2# singlejack.

On the modded one pictured, with the very heavy duty bolt, I think there is a small milled catch but its difficult to see from the angle of photo. With the size of that bolt and the internal spring, I think it would be very difficult to hold steady if there was no milled catch.

Edited by ClutchClark