Central World - Thailand's Largest Shopping Complex Opens July 21

george

Thailand's largest shopping complex Central World opens July 21

BANGKOK: -- Property development and retail chain Central Pattana is set to inaugurate a Bt26 billion (about US$683 million) mega-shopping lifestyle complex CentralWorld in the heart of Bangkok Friday with hopes of attracting foreign shoppers to spend over Bt7 billion (US$184 million) annually at the prime location.

Occupying the formerly quite popular World Trade Centre in Rajprasong, which changed its name following the September 11, 2001 twin towers attack in New York City, the former centre lost ground to competing retail shopping complexes which have risen in direct competition to it.

Within walking distance the newed complex is competing with Amarin Plaza, Gaysorn, Siam Discovery, Siam Square, the vast new Siam Paragon and, of course, Central Chidlom.

Central Pattana Pcl. president and CEO Kobchai Chirathivat said the grand opening of Central World will usher in what he claims as Southeast Asia's largest shopping megacomplex, which shoppers who normally frequent Singapore and Hong Kong would find irresistible and splurge up to Bt7.3 billion on annual buying sprees here.

The new centre requires 150,000 walk-in customers per day to meet its business goals, and one-third of those will be foreign tourists.

In addition to the shopping mall, the firm is building a five-star hotel and convention centre which will be ready later this year.

Mr. Kobchai said the Central Group is hoping that this new facility will help generate an additional 15 per cent revenue to the group' business that includes many retail outlets around town and at hotels.

He expressed confidence that consumer spending will not be affected by rising oil prices as the location itself is enough of a draw for visitors and shoppers. The mall section inaugurated Friday occupies just 60 per cent of the total floor space of the complex.

--TNA 2006-07-21

Central Pattana Pcl. president and CEO Kobchai Chirathivat said the grand opening of Central World will usher in what he claims as Southeast Asia's largest shopping megacomplex, which shoppers who normally frequent Singapore and Hong Kong would find irresistible and splurge up to Bt7.3 billion on annual buying sprees here.

Pipe dreams. People from Thailand shop in Singapore and HK to find quality that is generally not available in Thailand. (And people from those countries usually come here looking for *cheap* goods.)

It's most likely more of the same, especially if it's Central.

Well two months late, but that was expected!

I think the biggest problem with the place is location. In the middle of two sky train stations instead of being right next to one.

I will have to check out this weekend and see if the money spent has made the place significantly brighter in less dreary inside.

Occupying the formerly quite popular World Trade Centre in Rajprasong, which changed its name following the September 11, 2001 twin towers attack in New York City, the former centre lost ground to competing retail shopping complexes which have risen in direct competition to it.

When did it change it's name? It certainly wasn't in the aftermath.

When did it change it's name? It certainly wasn't in the aftermath.

It changed around a year ago. I arrived here in Feb last year and it was still called World Trade Centre....or at least still had a huge sign outside with World Trade Centre written on it! :o

I can't imagine shoppers from the Galleria in Houston, or any number of other First-World, fully developed countries, flocking to Bangkok just to get luxury goods. In the 1980's, when my kids went to high school with the daughters of a nouveau-riche athletic shoe family, the girls went week-end shopping in.....Rome. The rich billionaires of Mexico City are not known for flocking to.....Thailand.

Went past it yesterday, read the banners announcing the opening today..............have to say that it looked at least a couple of months from completion, a lot of it still looking like a building site.

Thailand's largest shopping complex Central World opens July 21

The new centre requires 150,000 walk-in customers per day to meet its business goals, and one-third of those will be foreign tourists.

Now that really takes the cake!!! Gee, they don't seem to get 150,000 in a year, let alone every single day! I've been going to this shopping center for many years so this opening has special significance to me. It's never crowded, you never see people buying stuff (besides the shop selling those cheap plastic purses), and there are almost no thai's that go there. Thai's prefer places like "The Mall" or MBK for prices or places like Paragon or Emporium for image. I honestly can't see how they are going to find 100,000 Thai's walking in every single day, let alone buy anything—they are dreaming! And 50,000 foreigners a day? Nice round numbers there; do they even have a basis?

The clothing outlets inside there over the years have dramatically hiked the prices to combat the dwindling customers. There was a time basic mens shirts were an astonishing 400 baht and womens 800 baht. It’s soooo much more now. Things like casual Timberlands t-shirts for guys are 2000 baht. Womens shirts are through the roof! The price hikes have been a losing battle as far as I have seen. Who is going to pay those prices? I don't believe people are going to fly all the way to Thailand to get ripped off--people want deals, especially all the Asians that go there!

I was kind of saddened by the extension they made in order to get the "asia's biggest" token. World Trade was a place that really impressed me with all that open space around it for people to loiter around or when they open up the giant beer gardens for new years. They've swallowed a lot of that up so it has lost one of the few redeeming qualities. World trade was a nice quiet place for a date and a movie, had 5 baht a song karaoke booths (all of which have disappeared), nice theatre (showing its age now) and you could (and still can) meander out to the cheap outdoor shopping and food around pathumwan.

All of these new shopping malls are heading for a spectacular crash, there simply isn't enough customers and never will be. Thai's fly to HK and Singapore to buy goods available in Paragon.

Why?

because of the outrageous prices due to import duties.

They better change a few laws if they are serious about attracting all these customers from other Asian cities, they simply won't be attracted by prices that are 30%+ higher than elsewhere.

I can't imagine shoppers from the Galleria in Houston, or any number of other First-World, fully developed countries, flocking to Bangkok just to get luxury goods. In the 1980's, when my kids went to high school with the daughters of a nouveau-riche athletic shoe family, the girls went week-end shopping in.....Rome. The rich billionaires of Mexico City are not known for flocking to.....Thailand.

Prices of luxury goods are pretty much the same all over the world, once converted to home country currencies. Hence, these days a trip to find cheaper Gucci, Louis Vutton etc., is a waste of time (and money). The upscale malls in Bangkok cater primarily to wealthy Thai's and Asian tourists, who take a short trip to Bangkok, see the sights and do some shopping (reclaiming the VAT at the airport).

Prices of luxury goods are pretty much the same all over the world, once converted to home country currencies.

Completely false. Luxury cars can cost 3x more in Thailand than other countries. You can find similar price deviations all the way down to luxury perfumes, clothing, or cameras. So go ahead, buy your luxury item for 200% more in Thailand so you can get 7% back at the airport if it pleases you. Well to do Thai's know the deals for luxury goods are in Hong Kong and go there to do their shopping. So many Thai's go there that shops in Hong Kong go out of their way to have a Thai language speaker among their staff.

Prices of luxury goods are pretty much the same all over the world, once converted to home country currencies. Hence, these days a trip to find cheaper Gucci, Louis Vutton etc., is a waste of time (and money). The upscale malls in Bangkok cater primarily to wealthy Thai's and Asian tourists, who take a short trip to Bangkok, see the sights and do some shopping (reclaiming the VAT at the airport).

I'm guessing you are not a buyer of luxury imported goods otherwise you would realise that most items are much more than 7% more exspensive than elsewhere. On top of VAT there is other taxes which are very confusing indeed. The tariffs varey hugely, eg some sporting goods may be 20%, whilst other similar sporting goods for the same sport may be 30%, 40% or more.

Prices of luxury goods are pretty much the same all over the world, once converted to home country currencies.

Completely false. Luxury cars can cost 3x more in Thailand than other countries. You can find similar price deviations all the way down to luxury perfumes, clothing, or cameras. So go ahead, buy your luxury item for 200% more in Thailand so you can get 7% back at the airport if it pleases you. Well to do Thai's know the deals for luxury goods are in Hong Kong and go there to do their shopping. So many Thai's go there that shops in Hong Kong go out of their way to have a Thai language speaker among their staff.

Completely false: I travel often (with my wife) to HK, Singapore etc. Prices of automobiles are something not part of this discussion, as I do not know of anyone who comes to Thailand to purchase an automobile to ship it to their country. By mentioning Gucci, Louis Vutton etc., I am talking about items normally sold at these shops (they do not sell cars, cameras etc.). The cost of these items are, as I said, pretty much the same as in other countries. As for Thai's who travel to HK to purchase items these items, reason this out before making your comments. A Thai cannot reclaim the 7% VAT. They have to pay it. However, if they purchase the same item (at roughly the same cost - see above) and don't have to pay sales tax in HK, then it is cheaper for the Thai to purchase it in HK. Normally, Customs at Don Muang (Bangkok airport) does not check when they re-enter Thailand.

I'm guessing you are not a buyer of luxury imported goods otherwise you would realise that most items are much more than 7% more exspensive than elsewhere. On top of VAT there is other taxes which are very confusing indeed. The tariffs varey hugely, eg some sporting goods may be 20%, whilst other similar sporting goods for the same sport may be 30%, 40% or more.

Again, my comments were relating to luxury items sold by Gucci etc. I wish we weren't buyer's of these luxury goods, but they know us well. However, we don't consider sporting goods as luxury items. What luxury sporting goods are you buying?

In my opinion high end golf equipment, fishing tackle, snooker tables etc are all luxury items.

All of the above are more expensive here than elsewhere

Many electrical items are more expensive here, although cedrtain items are getting cheaper. Got to emporium and look at the kitchen and home stuff on the top floor, prices there are very expensive compared to hk and singapore. This items include household items from well known companys such as alessi.

Also look at items such as cosmetics, perfume, and pretty much all brand names imported from outside Asean.

By mentioning Gucci, Louis Vutton etc., I am talking about items normally sold at these shops (they do not sell cars, cameras etc.). The cost of these items are, as I said, pretty much the same as in other countries.

Does Hermes also qualify? So if I walk into one the mentioned shops in Bangkok, get the price of of an arbitrary item, and post this price versus what I can get it for in the USA will you be surprised if there is a huge difference? Or is this somehow "explainable"? If there is even one, just one luxury item of any kind sold in Thailand at a comparable price to the US I will be VERY impressed because I've just never, ever run across such a situation.

Thai's I know that go to HK for luxury shopping save a tremendous amount of money; it's no paltry 7%. They buy plane tickets for two and other associated expenses and come out miles ahead.

[Thailand's largest shopping complex Central World opens July 21

BANGKOK: -- Property development and retail chain Central Pattana is set to inaugurate a Bt26 billion (about US$683 million) mega-shopping lifestyle complex CentralWorld in the heart of Bangkok Friday with hopes of attracting foreign shoppers to spend over Bt7 billion (US$184 million) annually at the prime location.

Very few stores have open.

August 18th is in fact the "soft" opening.

Late December will be the Grand Opening.

By mentioning Gucci, Louis Vutton etc., I am talking about items normally sold at these shops (they do not sell cars, cameras etc.). The cost of these items are, as I said, pretty much the same as in other countries.

Does Hermes also qualify? So if I walk into one the mentioned shops in Bangkok, get the price of of an arbitrary item, and post this price versus what I can get it for in the USA will you be surprised if there is a huge difference? Or is this somehow "explainable"? If there is even one, just one luxury item of any kind sold in Thailand at a comparable price to the US I will be VERY impressed because I've just never, ever run across such a situation.

Thai's I know that go to HK for luxury shopping save a tremendous amount of money; it's no paltry 7%. They buy plane tickets for two and other associated expenses and come out miles ahead.

I recall getting a Breitling Chronomat at Pendulum (in Emporium) for 120,000 Baht (at that time about US$2790) including VAT at the same time (well, within about 2 months) is was US$3400 (146,000 Baht) in both J'Berg duty free and Barton Creek Mall in Austin. I didn't buy it for the savings. I got it because I simply wanted it, maybe because the sales staff had there brown-nosing routine particularly well choreographed, maybe because the dial and strap went well with the new t-shirt I just bought, etc., like a lot of people do. (and yes, I confirmed the cert. that came with the watch with Breitling in CH)

And just like any other shopping center, it's simply another option, another purposeful or accidental destination. IMO, just the traffic of locals/HK'ers/and Singaporeans that look at these shopping centers as gift shops is more than enough to keep these places going (that's the nature of the good's involved for one: I know a fellow at River City who only has to sell 2 items a month -in antiques- to turn a healthy profit). They were saying the same thing about Emporium and Discovery Center before they got off the ground. Last I heard they were doing better than 'just breaking even.' Perhaps poster SteveMagnino could give more input on the subject as it seems to be closer to his expertise.

:o

• 2 years later...
How do i get to central world from the na-na hotel? ill be here for 2 days. There is a sculpture of the word "LOVE" that i am trying to visit and i need to get directions to central world.

Taxi: just tell the driver 'Central World'. If traffic is light it will take 10-15 minutes and cost 50 baht or less.

Skytrain: If there's a lot of traffic on Sukhumvit Rd, Skytrain will be faster. Catch a train at the Nana station and get off at the Chidlom station. 15 or 20 baht. From Chidlom stay at the station level and walk west along the 'skywalk', following signs for Central World Plaza. About 10 minutes' walk from the station.