Tanasak tells UN why Thai Army took control of the country

webfact

noitom, on 29 Sept 2014 - 08:01, said:

But he failed to explain that the army failed to support the elected government making it powerless.

He also didn't explain why there have been 19 coups, 12 successful, since 1932, and why this one will make any difference compared to the others...on an average a coup every 2 years, who are this the greatest failures in providing democracy and change, the elected governments, or those who have been in power the most, ie, the military. Seems to me there has been failure after failure after failure. To me, being a foreigner, there just doesn't seem to be another, in Thailand, capable of forming government dedicated to Thailand's, and Thais, future.
You cannot do much with brain cancer, and regrafting tumors elsewhere after they have been removed. Edited by trogers

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noitom, on 29 Sept 2014 - 08:01, said:

But he failed to explain that the army failed to support the elected government making it powerless.

He also didn't explain why there have been 19 coups, 12 successful, since 1932, and why this one will make any difference compared to the others...on an average a coup every 2 years, who are this the greatest failures in providing democracy and change, the elected governments, or those who have been in power the most, ie, the military. Seems to me there has been failure after failure after failure. To me, being a foreigner, there just doesn't seem to be another, in Thailand, capable of forming government dedicated to Thailand's, and Thais, future.

...on average a coup every 2 years? Think you need to check out your maths. wink.png [19 x 2] + 32 > 1970........ it's now 2014...?

Edited by Commerce

I don't know if this was the plan from the start or not but the prior government had made itself so weak in refusing to put down the protests that it could no longer function as a government. Perfect excuse or reason for the military to step in which made the opposition happy.

Commerce, on 29 Sept 2014 - 10:16, said:
MediaWatcher, on 29 Sept 2014 - 10:02, said:
noitom, on 29 Sept 2014 - 08:01, said:noitom, on 29 Sept 2014 - 08:01, said:

...on average a coup every 2 years? Think you need to check out your maths. wink.png [19 x 2] + 32 > 1970........ it's now 2014...?

My mistake, I should have said the military has been in control for approx. 50% of the time.

Powerful institutions did nothing to support a govt under siege but the military deemed it necessary to act to "protect democracy" and "return happiness to the people". The happiest people would be those few powerful and mega rich business families whose interests were challenged by the policies of the former government.

The rest of the world knows exactly what happened and will not be easily conned by this "rationale"

don't u have that backward?

no he has it 'spot on' as usual

don't be CONNED... people in HK are fighting to retain democracy and here? well here we have the Army in control

Yes, but to retain something it has to be there in the first place.

• Like 2

And does he really believe that the UN believed his theory somehow I doubt it !

Yes. Now all Farang understand why Prayuth coup is absolutely needed.

It was a coup to stop Thais killing Thais.

I think Prayuth deserves to be award Noble Prize for Peace for saving life of many many innocent Thai (protesters) who could be killed by M79 of Thaksin's Men in Black.

• Like 1

Who indeed has the right to judge the acts of a government who was arming it's supporters with war weapons, and using the police to suppress dissents?

Yeah, I still remember Yingluck driving to Isaan with a pickup truck filled with machine guns and handing them out in front of TV cameras.

Oh wait, this all happened in your mind so I could not have seen that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Democracy is a self fulfilling philosophy which enables a feudal system to transfer its power to the people. Once democratised the people exert their power by electing a government and an opposition to rule the nation in accordance with the laws enshrined in their constitution. The people reelect a party to government on the evidence of government's behaviour when in office. The peoples opposition moderates the excesses of the elected government in accordance with the constitution. Over time the democratic system modifies the constitution based on their experience of the efficacy of the original constitution and its amendments. These amendments to an existing constitution eventually achieve a peoples constitution thats is infallible.

And who have the right to judge the governments acts: The army and its political wing the Democrats?

If a government is acting in a manner contrary to the needs of the nation, following their own narrow self serving agenda, and against the democratic procedures of that country, then an army should not support it.

Not a fan of the Shins, but it is a dangerous path!

As for the "returning happiness to the people" BS, This was never about the people, but about keeping the existing feudal system in place!

And does he really believe that the UN believed his theory somehow I doubt it !

Yes. Now all Farang understand why Prayuth coup is absolutely needed.

It was a coup to stop Thais killing Thais.

I think Prayuth deserves to be award Noble Prize for Peace for saving life of many many innocent Thai (protesters) who could be killed by M79 of Thaksin's Men in Black.

You don't take over the government to stop a few Bangkok centric incidents. This must be the biggest cop out excuse for the coup. The military has fallen way short of fulfilling their responsibilties during the shut down and could have been more cooperative and helpful in preventing the killings. This is no country wide disturbance and does not warrant a coup unless it part of the overall establishment plan. For that every little excuse will be used for a takeover.

I could be wrong but I think chotthee was being sarcastic.

• Like 1

If a government is acting in a manner contrary to the needs of the nation, following their own narrow self serving agenda, and against the democratic procedures of that country, then an army should not support it.

And who have the right to judge the governments acts: The army and its political wing the Democrats?

As for the "returning happiness to the people" BS, This was never about the people, but about keeping the existing feudal system in place!

The people have a right to judge the acts of the government and the opposition have a duty to judge the acts of the Government.

The people judged the acts of the PT Govt as unfair and aimed at increasing their hold on power and absolving a convicted criminal and all politicians of wrongdoing for the previous 4 years.

They saw this as unjust and came out in protest as was their right under the constitution.

As for the rest of your post, just the usual red crap from someone who has proved to be a fan of the shins by repeated posts.

What a load of &lt;deleted&gt;! I will transfer 1000 baht into your bankaccount for each post by me, where I am supporting the Shin-clan. So go searching, with repeated posts it should be worthwhile!

You won't find any, because I am not a supporter of either side. I am just not supporting a powerstructure, where the fat cats are getting fatter every day, no matter what government. The politicians and their footsoldiers are just pawns for the people holding the real power in this country, who will do anything to avoid any change.

If you don't get that, you know very little about Thailand!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Who would support an "elected" government who was, it seemed, forgetting the reason that they were elected for. When a Government seems more concerned about how much they can rip off the Country to enlarge their personal wealth, mismanage populist vote buying schemes at the expense of the country. This "elected" government tried to use parliament to try and admonish criminals with an Amnesty bill ( and the main criminal was pulling the strings)......then naturally there is a backlash from the people who didn't want the farce to continue., You all know that the last Government was a joke !!

Who would support an "elected" government who was, it seemed, forgetting the reason that they were elected for. When a Government seems more concerned about how much they can rip off the Country to enlarge their personal wealth, mismanage populist vote buying schemes at the expense of the country. This "elected" government tried to use parliament to try and admonish criminals with an Amnesty bill ( and the main criminal was pulling the strings)......then naturally there is a backlash from the people who didn't want the farce to continue., You all know that the last Government was a joke !!

Then vote them out.

• Like 2

I am no fan of military coups nor this returning happiness, but in this case I think the army had to act. The PT govt was no longer following democratic procedures and was subverting rule for the people into rule for our clique. And yes the PDRC was no better. That's why the military had to act. Democracy had been abandoned long before May 22nd.

But the PT government had stepped down and followed legal process by staying as caretaker government until an election could be held. The election was democratically blocked by hand grenades and violence though

• Like 1