Being in Phuket with a leg cast

emphuket

Hello!

My family along with my twelve year old brother are visiting for the next nine days and the poor thing recently broke his ankle so he now has a full length cast on his leg! They've brought a wheelchair and crutches for him but getting through the streets of Patong can even be difficult for an able bodied person! Does anyone have any recommendations on what my family can do with him throughout the day? We've already got Jungceylon, Phuket Fantasea, Wat Chalong, Trick Eye Museum, Tiger Kingdom, etc on the list. I'm trying to find a Phang Nga Bay tour also that doesn't go to shore at James Bond Island (the steps over the hill would be too hard for him) and one that doesn't include kayaking... so it would be great if anyone knows a company that does this!

Thanks!

As far as the Phangnga Bay tour is concerned, you could just take a taxi to the pier close to Phangnga Town. At the pier there will be men with longtail boats waiting, price will be about 1200 Baht for the whole tour no matter how many people are going, and the guy will do exactly what you tell him to do.

• Like 2

As far as the Phangnga Bay tour is concerned, you could just take a taxi to the pier close to Phangnga Town. At the pier there will be men with longtail boats waiting, price will be about 1200 Baht for the whole tour no matter how many people are going, and the guy will do exactly what you tell him to do.

I second Keestha's idea. We did much the same thing with a older relative. Hired the long tail here ---> https://www.google.com/maps/@8.40379,98.51228,1527m/data=!3m1!1e3

Was a few years ago, think we paid just 600 baht as we turned up in the afternoon. Boat guy took us where we wanted.

• Like 1

A little of topic, but, he/they should be very becareful when showering, as the water here isn't very hygenic.

A big effort should be made to wrap the cast in plastic cling wrap, before showering.

I'm sure you know this, but, I am referring more to the lower standards of water quality here, than in the west. So, extra care should be taken to keep the leg dry here.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

As someone who lives in a wheelchair, I can attest to the difficulties of getting around in Patong (or anywhere in Thailand). There isn't too much I can do that is safe or accessible friendly. The Boat ride is a great idea as long as the seas are smooth and the guy doesn't stop for long. The breeze from the boat will help keep the little guy cool. You'd be shocked as to how much more hot you can get with a full leg cast on.

Aside from the before mentioned suggestions, I'd try the elephant tracking that is just south of Patong. There is a staircase going up a floor so you can walk right onto the elephant's back/bench. I had two strong friends get me up there without too much trouble. I'm sure (if you are able bodied) you can help him up there without too much problems. It's a neat experience that I doubt he'll forget. Going to the beach is a hit or miss option. Find a nice place in the shade, have juices & water for him and do not leave him alone. It's nice to have the company while you watch people swim when you can't. You can check out Monkey Hill in Phuket Town as well. I'm not too sure how aggressive the monkeys are, so you may want to sit in front of his broken leg to fend off a curious monkey. I have heard, but haven't seen, that the aquarium is pretty good to visit as well. I don't know how much he'd appreciate the cultural side of tourism, but there is the Phuket weekend market, located just outside of Phuket town and the Amulet market off of Rassada Rd in Phuket Town. It's close to Fountain Circle.

As far as Patong goes, I think you found all you can do here. I'd add the Patong Boxing Stadium followed by the Bazzan Market. There's usually some good food vendors there at night. Taking him to get a massage (a real massage in the front ;-) ) would not be a bad idea. He might like the pampering and get his mind off the leg. Having a cast on does strain your upper leg and lower back muscles. The Simon Cabaret might be interesting too, but I would ask around to see if there is anything too lude or nudity as I have not gone to see it.

With regard to the cast and showers. See if you can get a shower chair or a plastic chair so he can sit down. I'd have him prop his leg up on the toilet as water somehow will find a way down past the tied off plastic. There is always some watch that gets by. The only way I have avoided it was to raise the leg up so the water goes down to the hip or onto the floor.

That's all I have. I hope he has a great holiday here. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

--Pitts

• Like 2

You can make a nature tour with car around Phuket to see all kind of animals which are living on the island.

Water buffaloes, wild monkeys, horses, wild pigs (next to BigC/Lotus), Butterfly garden, Bird show. Go to fishing on a lake.

Renewed Rang Hill viewpoint is nice. It's also a place to see monkeys as well as have a dinner with a view. The monkeys there are less aggressive than the ones at Monkey hill. http://oilinki.com/blog/khao-rang-viewpoint-facelift

Tiger Kingdom might be worth of dropping from the list.

This family are seeking advice on where to go during the day, and accessibility of these places, for their temporarily disabled family member.

There has been many good suggestions made.

However, why anyone feels it necessary to give their opinions on how to conduct the kids ablutions is beyond me. I'm sure they have that situation under control.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with the local water for washing purposes. Those of us that actually live here use it all the time with no ill effects. While I only drink filtered water, I do brush my teeth with tap water.

• Like 1

This family are seeking advice on where to go during the day, and accessibility of these places, for their temporarily disabled family member.

However, why anyone feels it necessary to give their opinions on how to conduct the kids ablutions is beyond me. I'm sure they have that situation under control.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with the local water for washing purposes. Those of us that actually live here use it all the time with no ill effects. While I only drink filtered water, I do brush my teeth with tap water.

The leg should be kept dry, no matter where he/they will be. I simply stated that extra care should be taken in keeping it dry here, as the water is not as well treated as inmore developed countries.

Just a friendly reminder that they may wish to pack some plastic cling wrap. Another idea may be to bring some large plastic garbage bags to put over the cast.

I obviously shower in the water here, and brush my teeth in it as well, but do not drink it, and as you know, neither do the locals. What does that tell you?

Inside of the cast would be perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which can then cause skin irritation and/or infection.

Do you have anything of subtance to contribute to this thread?

Edited by NamKangMan

The leg should be kept dry, no matter where he/they will be. I simply stated that extra care should be taken in keeping it dry here, as the water is not as well treated as inmore developed countries.

Just a friendly reminder that they may wish to pack some plastic cling wrap. Another idea may be to bring some large plastic garbage bags to put over the cast.

I obviously shower in the water here, and brush my teeth in it as well, but do not drink it, and as you know, neither do the locals. What does that tell you?

Inside of the cast would be perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which can then cause skin irritation and/or infection.

Do you have anything of subtance to contribute to this thread?

The OP asked a simple question:

Does anyone have any recommendations on what my family can do with him throughout the day?

You saw this as an opportunity to lecture these people about how to bathe their child. Something I'm sure they discussed with their doctor when the cast was put on, and something they must be coping with well enough to decide to continue with their holiday plans.

You, yourself, stated that you were off topic, but undaunted, you went on to invent some new plaster cast/infectious water disease. Could you please supply statistics about the numbers of tourists who have been struck down with this condition in Phuket?

These days all tourists, everywhere, would be aware that it's not wise to drink water in most parts of Asia. In a post where they are simply asking for advice on accessible tourist attractions, you see it as just another opportunity to continue your campaign of putting down our beautiful, if a little flawed, island paradise. Many of us who actually live here are tired of it.

To the OP, I can't add to the excellent responses from most about places to visit.

I'm also currently in a wheelchair and I can tell you there are steps everywhere in Thailand, and very few ramps, making it difficult for people like me to enter many places. Be prepared to lift the chair up stairs everywhere, I'm sure he's a lot lighter than I am. smile.png

• Like 2

I feel like I need to wrap this up because of how bizarrely off topic it got and before a fight starts about how my brother bathes... He ended up having his cast cut off yesterday and now his ankle is just bandaged because it was too much to deal with in the heat and not being able to swim. The wheelchair hasn't been too hard to use in the streets of Patong luckily! Thanks for all your suggestions. :)

• Like 1

I feel like I need to wrap this up because of how bizarrely off topic it got and before a fight starts about how my brother bathes... He ended up having his cast cut off yesterday and now his ankle is just bandaged because it was too much to deal with in the heat and not being able to swim. The wheelchair hasn't been too hard to use in the streets of Patong luckily! Thanks for all your suggestions. smile.png

My apologies Em for the way this thread went off topic. It happens far too often here, and you didn't need to be embroiled in some of the members little feuds.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

• Like 1

I feel like I need to wrap this up because of how bizarrely off topic it got and before a fight starts about how my brother bathes... He ended up having his cast cut off yesterday and now his ankle is just bandaged because it was too much to deal with in the heat and not being able to swim. The wheelchair hasn't been too hard to use in the streets of Patong luckily! Thanks for all your suggestions. smile.png

I could personally attack OC, in th way he personally attacked me, but this would further take the thread off topic, which will most likely be closed now anyway.

It's quite ironic he "lecture" others, about lecturing others. :)

Anywy, good to hear his injury has become more manageble for him.

• Like 1