lets have a happy topic. Who all still loves living in Thailand?

Franky Bear

Firstly you are dichotomising the situation, just because people criticise the place it doesn't mean they don't like living here, you also use the word "love" which again is exclusive of many people who are happy to stay here.

The other possibility is that you are one of those people so cut off from reality you have not the slightest realisation of what is going on around you........ whether irt is human rights, politics social depravation human trafficking etc etc...... things that any right-minded person would be at least concerned about.

That's why he loves it, as he represents a certain demographic of the ex-pat population who come here to escape from their own versions of oppression back in their own countries, where they don't get (fake) smiles from groveling 3rd world natives longing for advancement.

Firstly you are dichotomising the situation, just because people criticise the place it doesn't mean they don't like living here, you also use the word "love" which again is exclusive of many people who are happy to stay here.

The other possibility is that you are one of those people so cut off from reality you have not the slightest realisation of what is going on around you........ whether irt is human rights, politics social depravation human trafficking etc etc...... things that any right-minded person would be at least concerned about.

That's why he loves it, as he represents a certain demographic of the ex-pat population who come here to escape from their own versions of oppression back in their own countries, where they don't get (fake) smiles from groveling 3rd world natives longing for advancement.

Both posts are miles out from the truth

i too love living in thailand,, yes love,

im the same when i land for my 35 days off, i do 35 /35, i cant wait to get home,

ive worked as many have in some bad places, i was in IRAQ earlier this year,, was a hell hole, was on stage 2 lock down on the camp after 4 days,( s££t myself,)

thailand isnt to bad when you think of some of the other places in this world and the trouble in these places,,

yes it has its problems, so do most countrys,

ill stick with thailand thank you,, i love it, and my family

I have a hard time accepting someone who is gone half the time saying he is living here--you are living somewhere else too.

That's because you're jealous. If you think we do any sort of living on a rig or a mine then you are barking

That's your problem your job is like going to jail six months a year, but the fact remains, you are gone from here half the time.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the jealous issue. Certainly, you can't believe I am jealous of someone who, as you say, does not do any sort of living half the time.

Edited by smotherb

That is an insane interpretation on where someone lives. Most people go to work 8 hours a day (out of 24) are you going to say they live at work (my father worked 100km down the road in another city). Work is work, jail is horrendous....

Exactly. I think we have a better quality of "living" as when we are off we are not grumpy from a tough day at the office, we have the whole day to do what we want. We spend far more quality time with our families. Plus, we are not exactly on minimum wage so when we are off money doesn't really matter

• Like 1

i too love living in thailand,, yes love,

im the same when i land for my 35 days off, i do 35 /35, i cant wait to get home,

ive worked as many have in some bad places, i was in IRAQ earlier this year,, was a hell hole, was on stage 2 lock down on the camp after 4 days,( s££t myself,)

thailand isnt to bad when you think of some of the other places in this world and the trouble in these places,,

yes it has its problems, so do most countrys,

ill stick with thailand thank you,, i love it, and my family

I have a hard time accepting someone who is gone half the time saying he is living here--you are living somewhere else too.

That's because you're jealous. If you think we do any sort of living on a rig or a mine then you are barking

That's your problem your job is like going to jail six months a year, but the fact remains, you are gone from here half the time.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the jealous issue. Certainly, you can't believe I am jealous of someone who, as you say, does not do any sort of living half the time.

have you ever been on a rig or a barge,,

the food is high hotel standard,

we have gyms,

tv lounges, films ect,,

then when we at at HOME, we have the whole time with our familys,,

see i didnt even mention the great money,, great money,, ooooooooooops ive said it twice,, great money and lots and lots of time with our famalies,,

give me my life now to any before,,

and ive had full time jobs in thailand,, no were near as good as i have now,

yes as you say im away from my family for half a year,,, 35 days away and 35 days at home,,, 35 full days at home,, 35 days just being a father and husband,,

not having to get up drive to work in bkk or anywere else,, all that stress,, then drive back home,, stress again,,,

so i would do 8 to 10 hours work,, 1 to 2 hours traveling with stress,,,,shower, eat,, not much time left, in fact i would say by the time i got home showerd and ate the kids would be in bed or ready for bed,, were would my quality time be for my family,

i really dont think you understand how good we have it,,,,, 35 full days at home,, being a family,,

just for one minute think about it,,

jake,

who isnt really that botherd what you think anyway,,,

i love my life here

• Like 1

Very true ,when you first come to Thailand ,get over the fact Thais make you feel so important,like it's all about me type thing, the attention you not get elsewhere ,they want farang money ,it's tourism that's keeping Thailand afloat,

Tourism accounts for some 7% of the GDP. Foreigners aren't as important here as their self-importance sometimes leads them to believe.

The foreigners we are talking about in this thread are not tourists. I don't know how important they (we) are for the Thai economy, though.

The ones referred in the post I was replying to are.

So? This thread is about people who live here.-

Pigeonjake said, “have you ever been on a rig or a barge,, the food is high hotel standard, we have gyms, tv lounges, films ect,, then when we at at HOME, we have the whole time with our familys,, see i didnt even mention the great money,, great money,, ooooooooooops ive said it twice,, great money and lots and lots of time with our famalies,, give me my life now to any before,, and ive had full time jobs in thailand,, no were near as good as i have now, yes as you say im away from my family for half a year,,, 35 days away and 35 days at home,,, 35 full days at home,, 35 days just being a father and husband,, not having to get up drive to work in bkk or anywere else,, all that stress,, then drive back home,, stress again,,, so i would do 8 to 10 hours work,, 1 to 2 hours traveling with stress,,,,shower, eat,, not much time left, in fact i would say by the time i got home showerd and ate the kids would be in bed or ready for bed,, were would my quality time be for my family, i really dont think you understand how good we have it,,,,, 35 full days at home,, being a family,, just for one minute think about it,, jake, who isnt really that botherd what you think anyway,,, i love my life here”

High hotel standard? Please, mess hall standard more like it. Prisons have gyms, TV lounges, films, etc. I’ll wager you don’t even have a private bathroom or bedroom?

I have worked and lived overseas all of my life. However, I have always had a white collar position and was able take my family with me. Additionally, I was paid lucrative base salaries/contract wages, in-country differentials, overseas bonuses, cost of living allowances, foreign tax paid, fine housing, furniture/settling-in allowances, auto leases for myself and wife, business class airfare and per diem for entire family, frequent vacations, and often these benefits were paid on personal services contracts where I was paid money for all the above rather than having it part of company policy. I've never had to punch a clock, often I worked from home, and I was master of my time. Consequently, I am not in the least jealous or envious of anyone who works off-shore or on a rotational basis; and you must forgive me if I am not impressed by your self-assessed, "great money".

Nevertheless, the fact remains, you are not here half the time.

Pigeonjake said, “have you ever been on a rig or a barge,, the food is high hotel standard, we have gyms, tv lounges, films ect,, then when we at at HOME, we have the whole time with our familys,, see i didnt even mention the great money,, great money,, ooooooooooops ive said it twice,, great money and lots and lots of time with our famalies,, give me my life now to any before,, and ive had full time jobs in thailand,, no were near as good as i have now, yes as you say im away from my family for half a year,,, 35 days away and 35 days at home,,, 35 full days at home,, 35 days just being a father and husband,, not having to get up drive to work in bkk or anywere else,, all that stress,, then drive back home,, stress again,,, so i would do 8 to 10 hours work,, 1 to 2 hours traveling with stress,,,,shower, eat,, not much time left, in fact i would say by the time i got home showerd and ate the kids would be in bed or ready for bed,, were would my quality time be for my family, i really dont think you understand how good we have it,,,,, 35 full days at home,, being a family,, just for one minute think about it,, jake, who isnt really that botherd what you think anyway,,, i love my life here”

High hotel standard? Please, mess hall standard more like it. Prisons have gyms, TV lounges, films, etc. I’ll wager you don’t even have a private bathroom or bedroom?

I have worked and lived overseas all of my life. However, I have always had a white collar position and was able take my family with me. Additionally, I was paid lucrative base salaries/contract wages, in-country differentials, overseas bonuses, cost of living allowances, foreign tax paid, fine housing, furniture/settling-in allowances, auto leases for myself and wife, business class airfare and per diem for entire family, frequent vacations, and often these benefits were paid on personal services contracts where I was paid money for all the above rather than having it part of company policy. I've never had to punch a clock, often I worked from home, and I was master of my time. Consequently, I am not in the least jealous or envious of anyone who works off-shore or on a rotational basis; and you must forgive me if I am not impressed by your self-assessed, "great money".

i bow to your superiority,

and im just a lowly welding inspector,,

but i do get my own room and bathroom,,

i dont get all the great bonuses you get,,

apart from full family health cover,,

so your not jelouse,

but i do live in thailand, this is my home,, think what you like

• Like 1

so your not jelouse,

He's bitter and twisted mate

You nailed him to the wall in the previous post

Ignore these bitter and twisted ballbags

• Like 1

right lets look at it from another way,

the lst job i had in thailand was inbetween rayong and pattaya, so i stayed in a hotel in pattaya,

5 nights a week, mon,tue,wed, thur, frid,

being incharge i could show my face sat morning make sure everything ok and be away,

so i spent 5 nights in pattaya and only 2 in wangnamyen my home,

would you then say i live in pattaya,?

just asking

right lets look at it from another way,

the lst job i had in thailand was inbetween rayong and pattaya, so i stayed in a hotel in pattaya,

5 nights a week, mon,tue,wed, thur, frid,

being incharge i could show my face sat morning make sure everything ok and be away,

so i spent 5 nights in pattaya and only 2 in wangnamyen my home,

would you then say i live in pattaya,?

just asking

if you don't care what other people think, why even ask the question? just leave it be..

so your not jelouse,

He's bitter and twisted mate

You nailed him to the wall in the previous post

Ignore these bitter and twisted ballbags

Frankly Bear, how is it he nailed me? What makes you think I am bitter? You are the one who said you had no life on the rigs, aren't you? And, I am not the one who brought-up the great wages and benefits of expat work. I simply justified why I was not jealous of working on the rigs as you accused me. Too bad you needed someone else to take up your argument.

However, as I said initially. If you are here only half the time, you don't really live here--especially if you do it on an entry-exempt or tourist visa. Of course, that is my opinion, but it is the only opinion I can have.

He is at work for 35 days straight and as a benefit he has 35 holidays in a row to relax and have fun. It is just a long commute to work, and a long work period. A lot of people would love to be able to string together "weekend time" like that (but probably would not like the hard work for the most part).

He is living in Thailand and working on a nearby rig.

It is not really that much different than most fishing vessels in North America where you go to sea working several weeks straight, returning to port, then back on another run - then at the end of the season you are back at home. I really have never heard people saying they are living somewhere else during that time - they were at sea fishing / work.

• Like 2

I have met many guys on fifo basis since the 80's.Geologists, drillers, divers etc.. Great salaries- contractors mostly from the uk or Canada.

Initially based out of Singapore then many relocated here, with very little interest in Thailand itself other than a place of entertainment .

They earn it. It takes it's toll over time

, it is not a great life if you are away from the family.

You are away, time watching till you can get home, then being at home seems to go quick .

So being at home is a pleasure be it in Thailand or wherever.

So there will be an enormous bias in answering the question.

They do live here if they have families. If no connections it's just a place to have pussy and play golf.

If you want to be well paid there are always sacrifices, especially in Asia.

• Like 1

I have met many guys on fifo basis since the 80's.Geologists, drillers, divers etc.. Great salaries- contractors mostly from the uk or Canada.

Initially based out of Singapore then many relocated here, with very little interest in Thailand itself other than a place of entertainment .

They earn it. It takes it's toll over time

, it is not a great life if you are away from the family.

You are away, time watching till you can get home, then being at home seems to go quick .

So being at home is a pleasure be it in Thailand or wherever.

So there will be an enormous bias in answering the question.

They do live here if they have families. If no connections it's just a place to have pussy and play golf.

If you want to be well paid there are always sacrifices, especially in Asia.

great post,

yes ive got a wife and children,

not to mention a pig farm, ducks, chickens, all planing for when i retire,

your right it is a good life, having quality time to do with what you like,

like you say with our families, or if single, well then, thailand is a great place when you have a big wod in your pocket,,

• 3 months later...