I now need an expensive operation - what are my options?

ianwuk

Some strange posts here...

The insurance that comes with a VISA card is Accident insurance only.

The social security card is good but waiting lists for non-emergencies can be very very long, perhaps infinit.

Forget about any insurance company paying for this - it is now a pre-existing condition.

300K sounds expensive - why not try as a paying patient at a government/army/navy hospital?

"300K sounds expensive - why not try as a paying patient at a government/army/navy hospital?"

Good idea. The Queen Sirikit Hospital at Sattahip has some excellent doctors and, while the costs are not as low as for Thais (understandably since it's a government subsidized hospital primarily for military personnel), they are considerably less than at a private hospital.

I went there for a hernia operation. Since it wasn't an emergency they scheduled me for 3 months from when I first saw the doctor, so eventually I decided to have it done at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya (also an excellent surgeon there and quick, painless recovery). The doctors spoke excellent English, but virtually no one else there did ... so you'll need to bring along a Thai speaking spouse or friend, but overall I was quite impressed with the services.

The insurance that comes with a VISA card is Accident insurance only.

Yes, as I pointed out in the post above yours, the policy shown on Krung Thai Bank's website clearly states that they only cover accidents. The person who claimed and received Baht 8000 following a motorcycle accident was lucky indeed if they paid even that amount.

Clearly some people think insurance companies operate like lotteries where everyone holds a winning ticket.

A friend of mine had hip replacement surgery at Queen Sikrit Hospital at Sattahip. Says the experience was really outstanding in every way. He seems good as new now, and is out taking long walks daily. He has worked in Thailand for about 10 years. Paid into the SS and got the health insurance that comes with it. The operation was fully covered, For awhile he retired, and was able to stay in the insurance scheme for 300 Baht per month. He's back working again now, and looks fit as a fiddle!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back to the hospital where you registered. With your card and get it done.

Speak to some people at work. Must be someone who can go with you to help. ( thai )

Going back to uk seems not viable from what I've read and will take ages.

Because your working here and get the equivalent of the NHS.

It's not free it comes from your taxes.

As for the gits go back home for good. Don't mind them.

Your obviously distraught and worried get it sorted soon mate.

And let us know how you get on.

====================

I've just done 15.000 baht at bumrungrad .

Totally knackered. Diagnosed vitamin d deficiency.

Wonder if I can claim on my SCB card 900 baht a year.

Or my travel insurance from lloyds bank comes with account ???

Perhaps a bit of time at the beach could have saved you 15,000 Baht?

• Like 1

Get a second opinion, perhaps a third.

Be sure to get copies of all test results.

If they refuse, big red flag.

Generally nasal, polyps go way with antibiotic cream and stop picking at them.

Never heard about them going to lungs.

If surgery is a must, consider an alternative to surgery with natural therapy. Call Absolute Health at 026515988.

Most surgery is not necessary today, but a MD will tell you otherwise!

They have a clinic in Bangkok.

Web address is absolute-health.org

Trust no one!

They want your money.

I'm not familiar with nasal polyps. Are they caused by a bacteria? I had a nasal bacterial infection, in the upper nasal passages, which was incurable with antibiotics, unless I took them forever. The anitbiotics were somewhat (not 100%) effective, but the infection came back worse every time I stopped using them. Doctors said I would be on antibiotics for the rest of my life. I didn't want that, so searched for a natural cure. I found the herb golden seal was more effective than the antibiotics, but the infection still returned, after stopping use of it. But it came back much more slowly, so I did two weeks on and two weeks off with the golden seal, and was almost symptom free, it would just be getting to the point of being a problem, when I would resume treatment, and be OK again. You can't really take golden seal all the time, because it is a diuretic, but 2 weeks on , 2 weeks off had the infection well under control.

It was annoying, however, to know I was living with this infection, could not get rid of it permanently. Also, taking the golden seal orally was not effective. I had to make an infusion (tea) and sniff it up my nose as warm as I could stand it. Not fun. It was time consuming preparing it, and since it is also a yellow dye (was used as dye and medicine both by American Indians), I had to be very careful, so as not to get it on my clothes or towels. So a bit of a messy procedure. But what choice did I have? It was that or take the less effective antibiotics all my life, which I am sure is not good for you.

Then I came up with a new idea. Two weeks golden seal, followed by two weeks colloidal silver (1100 PPM, very strong solution), then alternating every two weeks. Soon it was not coming back, no sign of the infection. I continued with the treatment, to be sure. At first, I was sniffing the CS, but before too long, began drinking it. Much easier! After a few months, I got lazy about it, and stopped the golden seal, but continued the CS. No problem. I took the CS every day for maybe a year or less (hard to remember, it was 10 years ago). Eventually, I forgot to restock the CS, so tried to do without it. No problem! The infection was permanently cured! Never came back.

So that it is my story. The antibiotics controlled the infection to a bearable extent, but never entirely got rid of the symptoms, and if I stopped them, the symptoms came back, each time worse than before. Doctors said I had to be on antibiotics forever. They were wrong. I found a cure.

Edited by Jaybee2

Generally nasal, polyps go way with antibiotic cream and stop picking at them.

Antibiotics will have no effect if the polyps are caused by asthma or allergies etc, which are the most common causes.

My polyps were nowhere near the front of my nose and would have been impossible to pick at.

with a Thai SS card can you pick your hospital after you go to the hospital on your card ?

Maybe that hospital does not have an expert on what is wrong with you , or does not speak English

Depending on the area you are assigned or can choose a hospital.

If they can't do a treatment they will refer you elsewhere, which will be covered under the same plan. If the doctor does not speak English take somebody with you who can translate for you.

Personally I would go to the UK and get fixed. Although technically you would not be entitled to free NHS treatment they would not know that (unless you told them).

As for any feeling of guilt - just look at all the other freeloading foreigners and illegals using the service.

Codswallop biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update to this (for those who were wonderig) I had the operation via social security at the hospital my employer had assigned me to. Total cost was 5000 baht so I am more than happy with that.

• Like 2