Hazing: Thai rector apologizes but no dismissal of guilty seniors

webfact

Rector apologises but no dismissal of guilty seniors

10-1-2014-12-16-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University Bangkok rector has apologised a first year student and her parents for causing burn injuries to her during the freshmen blessing ceremony.

The rector Mr Luedech Kerdwichai vowed to take disciplinary probe into 40 senior students who allegedly dripped candle wax that caused burns on a girl freshmen from the industrial technology faculty.

The probe should complete in five days, he said.

He said those responsible are likely to be put on probation, but not dismissal as it was too heavy to fire the 40 senior students.

The girl’s parents demanded the dismissal of senior students who dropped candle wax on her arms.

In apologising to all affected students and their parents, saying the 40 second-year students told university staff that they had dripped hot wax as claimed, but claimed the incident was not premeditated or meant to harm the freshmen during the “blessing ceremony”.

He said the senior students were in remorse, and promised not to do this again.

They said they had apologised to those affected.

The university would consider appropriate punishment, possibly probation. It would also provide remedial measures to those affected, to pay their medical bills and costs of living on campus, he said.

One of the second-year students told reporters that the action was not part of a hazing tradition, as previously said in news reports.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rector-apologises-dismissal-guilty-seniors/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-01

i am so astounded by the lack of any one to stand up and be counted yes the students have so were told apologized for their foolishness

but surely an adult supervisory must be at least 50 pcnt to blame OK i realize a foolish prank gone very wrong but their has to be a better outcome than seemingly has been arrived atxshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

"but not dismissal as it was too heavy to fire the 40 senior students."

You mean to bloody expensive for the university, idiot.

You don't 'fire' students- you expel them.... especially for GBH... AND BURNING somebody, even if it does not scar is GBH, not ABH

• Like 1

This inappropriate behaviour should be investigated by the police , this girl is there for learning, not to be abused, the rector should have the moral fortitude to call in the police and those student's responsible punished, the father or mother should lay charges against the school what sort of education is this school teaching.bah.gif

Spelling correction please: rectum, not rector. Then again, same same. ;)

• Like 1

This inappropriate behaviour ..., the rector should have the moral fortitude to call in t....

Spelling correction please: rectum, not rector. Then again, same same. wink.png

Hmmm, reminds me of when Johnnie was asked on 4 November, by the Professor at the same University, to explain in English what he had done the previous evening to prepare for the imminent celebration of Guy Fawkes. Johnnie replied that they had stuck some crackers up the cats ar*e... Professor interrupted "rectum, Johnnie, rectum!" to which Johnnie retorted "Wrecked him... bleeding blew him apart! crazy.gifsorry.gifcrazy.gif

Edited by wirat69

It is a very erotic activities when done with a professional prostitute. But school children show not follow that example, as they are not properly trained on safety and safe word.

Usually you use a special candle that has a lower melting point for the wax and does not burn the skin.

It is a very erotic activities when done with a professional prostitute. But school children show not follow that example, as they are not properly trained on safety and safe word.

Usually you use a special candle that has a lower melting point for the wax and does not burn the skin.

Erm....

• Like 1

For one year, when I was 15, I attended a British all-boys boarding school. Near the end of the school year, about a dozen seniors snuck out to a local pub to drink some beer. They got caught. Their punishment: had to repeat the entire senior year, even though some of the guys were honor students and captains of sports teams. It goes to show the difference in discipline in the two countries. In Thailand, you burn a student and get a reprimand.

did I read that right?? "the freshmen blessing ceremony"

how is hazing remotely related to a blessing?

I agree, charge them with assault, it has nothing to do with the school! bah.gif

This is Thailand, and hazing is related to blessing, or at least blessing ceremony can be painful. Take for example, Songkran. It's supposed to be a blessing, but in Thailand it's digressed to big boys throwing 5 gallon buckets full of water at lightweight pretty girls on motorcycles. 40 lbs of water at 60 mph hitting a person on a two-wheel bike, well, I'll let you do the physics. The result: hundreds of people wind up in hospital or dead.
  • Like 1

All children...........even the teachers.

Is there anyone at these technical institutes with the capability of acting like a responsible adult? In another situation I would say this violence is tolerated, but in Thailand, it appears that violence is encouraged. Maim someone for life, get your little hand slapped.

LOS -Land Of the Sophomoric.

Edited by jaltsc

superb, i will sponsor the activity to drip candle wax on your testicles

• Like 1

and what about the police and an assault charge for what they did, this is absolute bullsh*t. wealthy students not allowed to lose face or the uni to lose their money, they dont give a sh*t about the poor girl. Once again we see the mentality of the thai uni's and why many need to be closed down.

This inappropriate behaviour should be investigated by the police , this girl is there for learning, not to be abused, the rector should have the moral fortitude to call in the police and those student's responsible punished, the father or mother should lay charges against the school what sort of education is this school teaching.bah.gif

Spelling correction please: rectum, not rector. Then again, same same. wink.png

The police...that also well known of inappropriate behavior.

And what the guilty students's punishment to be....reshuffling?

Oh wait, that is already the severe punishment category...first time offenders, so just brush it under the carpet.

Thai justice at work, again!

• Like 1