Police promised cash reward to buy false testimony: Koh Tao taxi driver

webfact

I feel like crying I am so angry. I feel like I am watching 6 year olds playing a game of cops and robbers.

How can a country operate with these minds in authority? Now this is something the Hague or UN should get involved in. Human rights violations with no end in sight.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font. Please stop posting while using different fonts!
  • Like 2

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Speaking later to reporters, Prasit said: "I don't want to take any action against the policemen, but want to demonstrate my innocence and I will cooperate with other requests in the future. Just don't force me to acknowledge [something] I never knew [about]," he said

Had a strange experience with a tourist police officer, who played good friend and helper, when an older German man past away last year.

He lied about everything, said that he'd used his "police credit" and payed 38 K for the hospital bill out of his own pocket, when we were trying to get the dead body out, to his house for the usual ceremony.

We gave him the cash paid the "rest" at the hospital, but later found out that he was just a freaking liar. 38 K for his pocket.

When talking to thew hospital superiors it was clear that I wouldn't be in the pole position to tell the truth.So, we just forgot about the money and moved on.

I'm pretty certain that they'd have found some drugs in my car/house, etc, or that he'd have found a witness saying that I raped a little girl. or anything else that you can think of.

I fully understand why the cab driver doesn't want his name to be mentioned. Completely. ... alt=laugh.png>

What are you talking about "doesn't want his name mentioned" His name is all over it.

...and why on earth would you pay 38k to a cop because a friend died? What's that saying? A fool and his money are soon parted.

If any of this is proven, which of course is unlikely, the the police chief and officers involved should be sacked and possibly charged with fabricating evidence.

But we know this isn't going to happen. They probably won't even suffer the ignominy of being moved to an inactive post.

"sacked and charged with fabricating evidence"........why would that ever happen....that's part of the RTP strategy.........!

I think this article has to sent all over the world to show how police is working on a case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will do so!!

I am living now in Thailand about 3 years and what i find out: THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS LYING!!!!!!!!!!!

Day and night and about all end everything!

Dont trust anybody, for sure never ever trust POLICE

There is no smiling Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I feel like crying I am so angry. I feel like I am watching 6 year olds playing a game of cops and robbers.

How can a country operate with these minds in authority? Now this is something the Hague or UN should get involved in. Human rights violations with no end in sight.

No need to cry or feel angry. The country has operated like this for many years and the "system" works just fine.

Let the Thai people figure it out themselves over time. The biggest problem related to their old and current corrupt system is actually The Internet. Scare enough tourist and investors away, and it will hurt their pockets. Lack of income is the only thing that will make the system, in this country change.

This news sucks now ..Nothing came out until now , and seems nothing will come out. Police claimed to be 80% done with the case a week back , and has promised to caught all suspects in a day or two. And the actual situation is that they still on 0% .....and how they claiming to issue an arrest warrants in a day later is still a mystery.

An absolute disgrace .

That said, good on old cabbie for speaking up.

I thought you were done with it smile.png

I think the guy is brave is all.

I doubt it... He says he went to the kamnan for protection. What I suggest is that the kamnan wishes to discredit the police in order to protect someone. Given the RTA operate it's a very easy spin to do. People easily fall for it; however, if you know the way that the kamnans operate then you should know his story is most likely a rubbish bit of nothing set up by the kamnan. It's the OJ Simpson defense...

Thailand is quickly gaining a reputation as the land of Rape & Robbery.

Gaining a reputation ?.....anyone who has spent any decent length of time in Thailand knows Thailand has had a "reputation" for a long time already...thumbsup.gif

this is only coming to the fore now because of the high profile/exposure of this case internationally.

The interesting thing is, this started out as a murder investigation, which could have happened in just about any country in the world, and yes police investigations get bungled everywhere but now due to the authorities own doing they has turned into something very different and they could cause the whole "house of cards" could come crashing down around them on the world stage

Since this started everyday the authorities had cocked one thing up after another and it just gets more and more bizarre by the day, it is a true life "Hollywood plot line" being played out and the BIB and other officials are fools who are creating this continued plot line

Tropical "desert" Islands, Murder, extortion, death threats, scapegoating, bribery, cover ups, bungled police investigations, powerful "mafia" families etc

• Like 1

Yes....the taxi guy seems to be a man of principal.......how many other Thai men would stand up and annouce this news about rogue cops.....good for him!

And, as mentioned in this article, Prayuth has knocked the stupid wrist bans on the head......which I suspected of being a means of registering all hotels for tax collection.......and nothing to do with safety of visitors.

Well he was obviously going to be the patsy... but he got in first. He was a dead man walking... now he'll be running!

That's it. I'm done with it.

I was done with it the moment the news broke. I for one decided I would no longer spend my money in a country that openly despises my presences, treats me worse than a dog, breaches every human right I am entitled to and then attempt to cover up the murder of two of my countrymen.

I've said this on a number of threads.... time the expat community got off their bar stools and walked. Imagine thousands of expats heading for the boarders ... the impact on the Thai economy would be enormous and something the Thai Gov could not ignored. It's time to make a change but unless the expat community is willing (or have the spine) then nothing will ever change... your money will just keep fueling their fire.

Sounds impossible to achieve? Think of the ice bucket challenge... with the internet it takes very little effort to spread the word, rally the mass and in doing so bring about positive change.

• Like 2

At least all this has opened the eyes of the world as to how Thailand's police force etc operates.

The term LOS should be changed to something like LOC, land of corruption, for the simple reason it is totally accepted in every single avenue of the place..sad.png

• Like 1

Yes....the taxi guy seems to be a man of principal.......how many other Thai men would stand up and annouce this news about rogue cops.....good for him!

And, as mentioned in this article, Prayuth has knocked the stupid wrist bans on the head......which I suspected of being a means of registering all hotels for tax collection.......and nothing to do with safety of visitors.

He must be the exception this taxi driver on KT.

If you have had the experience of actually having to use them, then the fact that this one seems to have principles would come as even more of a shock.

The taxi's on KT are mostly run and operated by children/relatives of wealthy land owners, and themselves operate in mafia fashion, and charge exorbitant prices. Obviously with their being no other option of transport other than renting bikes, which is probably not suitable for families, then they have no option to pay.

Its one of the reasons so many good restaurants etc go out of business on the island. Because they are not in the grade A location like directly on Sairee Beach, it becomes so uneconomical for families to go out to other eateries on the island, effectively strangling the island to concentrating all the people in certain areas like Sairee and Chalok Ban Koa, which are of course owned by the big island families.

The police are so determined to not charge the real perp, they will do nearly anything to resolve this case, in an ugly and false manner. As long as they do not have to display integrity, honor, or honesty, they will be able to protect the order of things, and the guilty party. Nearly everyone worldwide, knows who the perp is, due to the courage of the Scot, who published his evidence online. The police have been vested with alot of responsibility by a government that refuses to keep tabs on them. So, they run amok. And their lack of courage continues to amaze a world that looks on with bewilderment.

• Like 1

If you have had the experience of actually having to use them, then the fact that this one seems to have principles would come as even more of a shock.

The taxi's on KT are mostly run and operated by children/relatives of wealthy land owners, and themselves operate in mafia fashion, and charge exorbitant prices. Obviously with their being no other option of transport other than renting bikes, which is probably not suitable for families, then they have no option to pay.

Its one of the reasons so many good restaurants etc go out of business on the island. Because they are not in the grade A location like directly on Sairee Beach, it becomes so uneconomical for families to go out to other eateries on the island, effectively strangling the island to concentrating all the people in certain areas like Sairee and Chalok Ban Koa, which are of course owned by the big island families.

Agree with all this, you go to their island and ride their ferry, stay at their hotel, drink at their bar, eat at their restaurant,ect.

only way to hurt them is to not go there in the first place, remember the koh larn falang lady getting bullied into sitting on the mafia's deck chair, all same same.

• Like 1

At least all this has opened the eyes of the world as to how Thailand's police force etc operates.

The term LOS should be changed to something like LOC, land of corruption, for the simple reason it is totally accepted in every single avenue of the place..sad.png

The irony is from the start they were doing their hardest to "down play" this and not damage Thailand's "reputation" for the fear of losing the mighty tourist dollar, hoping it would "go away" but their own actions over the last week or have done more to damage Thailand's reputation and in fact have put more of a spot light on them...

so the situation they were desperately trying to avoid, they have created themselves.

• Like 1

Agree with all this, you go to their island and ride their ferry, stay at their hotel, drink at their bar, eat at their restaurant,ect.

only way to hurt them is to not go there in the first place, remember the koh larn falang lady getting bullied into sitting on the mafia's deck chair, all same same.

The more I read about this place, the less I like it. Another paradise in Thailand completely ruined by greed and corruption. The Golden Goose is slowly being killed. KT is now completely off my list of places to visit and places to recommend.

• Like 2

The police are so determined to not charge the real perp, they will do nearly anything to resolve this case, in an ugly and false manner. As long as they do not have to display integrity, honor, or honesty, they will be able to protect the order of things, and the guilty party. Nearly everyone worldwide, knows who the perp is, due to the courage of the Scot, who published his evidence online. The police have been vested with alot of responsibility by a government that refuses to keep tabs on them. So, they run amok. And their lack of courage continues to amaze a world that looks on with bewilderment.

Thai Police Department should change their name to 'Thai Culture Public Relations Department' or perhaps 'Thai HiSo Culture Public Relations Department'

That's it. I'm done with it.

So am I!

Actually, I think it is best to not read any local news about Thailand, when you live here. Reading these totally crazy news stories everyday, has begun to change my mindset about Thailand in general and make me a bit crazy.

Now I understand, why my girlfriends just smiles, shakes her head and says "Just forget it", when I comment on some of the things from the news. There is no point and thinking about it, will just make you go mad. Wanting to see changes or results here, is the same as asking children in a kindergarten to start behaving and thinking like adults. It's simply impossible.

So my conclusion is: If you want to be happy in Thailand and stay sane, then just keep focus on your own life and make as much money as possible. Because money is the only thing, that will solve any problems you get into here. Social awareness, moral, ethics and empathy towards others will not. That belongs somewhere back in a civilized world. Expecting and hoping for changes, is just an illusion. In other words: Do like the Thais do!

I feel really sorry for the victims and their families, but facing the facts, this is the risks of visiting this country. If you get killed here or know somebody who do, then justice should not be expected. So back to life and back to happiness, based on not focusing on problem solving, empathy for strangers, justice and what is right/wrong.

If Thais want to change their country, then they must do it themselves. And the PM said it himself very clearly from the start: "If you get killed in Thailand, it is your own fault". Now I understand why he said that. Because not accepting that things just are the way they are, will make you go mad. The victims biggest mistake, was not to wear bikinis, drink or have sex on the beach. It was to choose Thailand as their holiday destination. I hope they rest in peace.

Very well said and very true for most of us who live here.

For the one's choosing this country as their destination for a holiday, I guess a different matter indeed.